Mimi Collins going into her Sophomore Year

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
Mimi Collins sophomore year to come.
The shooting percentages are exceptional if compared with the other three freshmen .
field goal percentage 64 126 .508% 3-point percentage 8 -15 . 533% They hit 33 3-points shots out of a combined 159 attempts. (21%)

Collins commented with a smile that she was not a post . She also gave up her little "flat "jump hook in the paint after several blocks. I wondered at times what her defensive as well as offensive responsibilities were. I expect the new coaches will ensure she becomes an offensive option as well as a defined offensive presence. Not until her senior year did
Graves step outside for the mid-range shot, Collins is comfortable and accurate and can catch and shoot.

I've always felt she is a star waiting to shine. She looks lost at times. But I honestly dont feel she was being guided much. I expect a step forward next season. Could see 15 ppg type year.

If they can help work on her defense without fouling so much, she will be a better player.. i love her offense, the defense for me was just always shaky...

Reactions: all_volz
Looking forward to great play from Mimi this coming year. Last season, she aggressively fought for the ball, ran hard, and could shoot under pressure from almost anywhere on the floor. Next year should be fun!

Reactions: bobkitten and lvocd
Mimi had several moments of brilliance last season that make me 100% positive that her sophomore year will show a big leap in ability and confidence. Losing Meme, Cheridene and Evina gives Mimi an excellent opportunity for a breakout season. I’m excited for her!

Collins' game suggests that she has been the lone "buy-in" in the concept that she should be a perimeter player--like she he is desperately trying to convince others that she fits the part. A 6-3 guard could be a coveted luxury. But she needs help getting there, and she needs to embrace the realization that in order to be a productive asset out there, there is work to be done and there are some non-negotiables that come with the expectations--namely handling and mobility.

Collins' game suggests that she has been the lone "buy-in" in the concept that she should be a perimeter player--like she he is desperately trying to convince others that she fits the part. A 6-3 guard could be a coveted luxury. But she needs help getting there, and she needs to embrace the realization that in order to be a productive asset out there, there is work to be done and there are some non-negotiables that come with the expectations--namely handling and mobility.

She's not a guard. Not even remotely. If she has any illusions otherwise she needs to get over them. She isn't even all that mobile for a post player. It's nice she can hit an outside, or mid-range shot when we need it. But she will never be able to defend on the perimeter or to handle the ball like a guard. She needs to hone her post skills because that is the only place a team on this level will use her. She has a nice, wide set of shoulders which will help with rebounding, and she can learn to make space for herself.

It would be a waste of everyone's time to try to turn her into a guard, and a sign a coach doesn't know what she is doing.

She's not a guard. Not even remotely. If she has any illusions otherwise she needs to get over them. She isn't even all that mobile for a post player. It's nice she can hit an outside, or mid-range shot when we need it. But she will never be able to defend on the perimeter or to handle the ball like a guard. She needs to hone her post skills because that is the only place a team on this level will use her. She has a nice, wide set of shoulders which will help with rebounding, and she can learn to make space for herself.

It would be a waste of everyone's time to try to turn her into a guard, and a sign a coach doesn't know what she is doing.
she most definitely could
I could give her those skills over a summer

Reactions: MAD
She is certainly not destined to become a guard. She could end up with a few good guard skills. But at her size she does not have the physical traits of a guard. Not that type of athlete. Quickness would be a big concern. With that said, she plays the game the right way. She is tough and aggressive and does have a knack for putting the ball in the basket. She needs to embrace that she is a post and if she developed a enough guard skills she could settle in as a stretch 4 type of player. But she will not be a guard. Lacking the suddenness, speed, agility, ball-handling, and passing.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.
But some of it is “broken”. We watched her in the first few games, against the cupcakes, and she had this cute little shot, scored basically every time, BUT it was sort of a push, flat, low trajectory shot. I said then it would never work against the big girls, and it didn’t. Got blocked pretty much every time. So if it’s not broken in one scenario it might be in another. That shot worked for her in high school and even against the weak teams. It did NOT work in SEC. A good coach has to recognize what needs to be fixed and what is unique and works. If she had continued scoring with that shot, I’d have said leave her alone. But she didn’t. I don’t know about ALL of her releases; I’m no coach, but she had some that definitely needed work. She’s a joy to watch on the floor, hustle, drive, effort, she has all of the intangibles; the athletic potential is definitely there; she just needs some time and coaching to attain her highest level.

She will not be an effective post player without retooling that shot. She shoots from too low and it's way too easy to block. She's able to get away with shooting from her hip on the perimeter because she's not being guarded tightly, but she will have problems scoring 1-on-1 against any player that isn't a midget.

Reactions: djtee and bobkitten
I too have always thought her shot was to low/flat to be consistent against the better teams.....Too easily blocked.

I'm sure we are not the only people that see this.....Let's hope Kellie and company are already on top of this....

To say she is not a guard is a no-brainer. To say it is a waste of time to work on her handling and perimeter skills is a little abrupt. Those skills would only help her that much more in the post, ideally making her harder to defend and more effective in her footwork. And on defense, she was the one used at the head of the press often times last year. I know she has offered some encouragement with her eagerness and aggressiveness.

50% on 15 shots doesn't mean a thing. You really can't draw any conclusions without at least a population size of 40+.

Another freshman shot 100+ 3-point shots and hit 21 and NOT many were blocked (smile). What conclusions should be drawn from that statistic?
A question without an answer - how many 3-point shots were blocked against the LVs last year? how many fouls were called in trying to block 3-point shots?
I agree with Smallvol in that Collins ceased her flat jump hook early in the season, however an open 3-point shot can be flat as hers if it goes in. A strong screen for a good shooter with a flat shot Ok.

And without begin negative on a season past, defense is an area of improvement for all LV teammates. And how many past freshmen were able to play adequate defense in their freshmen year? (including KJH)

She will not be an effective post player without retooling that shot. She shoots from too low and it's way too easy to block. She's able to get away with shooting from her hip on the perimeter because she's not being guarded tightly, but she will have problems scoring 1-on-1 against any player that isn't a midget.

I agree with you 100% on this

Another freshman shot 100+ 3-point shots and hit 21 and NOT many were blocked (smile). What conclusions should be drawn from that statistic?

Guards must hit 30+ percent from 3 or they do not play. I have no use for a guard that can't shoot.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back