Maurer takes over at some point this season

No doubt but I don't know for sure if he's one of them. Looks to be, but I really don't know until we see him play in the sec. I hope they give him a chance, but I'm not counting on it unless something happens to jg and shrout sh*ts the bed. I think he's better than both of them, but do the coaches? Idk.
they don't. at least not right now.

and if they don't start him, and they're not, that's not an indictment on him. he's a true freshman that has a ton of potential. they would probably prefer to RS him. he has plenty of time.

the best way to ruin the potential of a kid is to put him in a situation he's not ready for.

and he's not ready for this. the way our roster is currently constructed....experience is more important.....this team can't afford to go thru a year of learning on the job by a fr qb. not if they have any chance of showing the improvement we think they may be capable of.

Maurer will get his shot....and by the time he does, the whole team should be in much better shape.

I think Maurer could start, but not behind our line! Best bet is JG staying healthy and progressing. Hope he is lights out this season and has a little help out there this go around.

he's not any of those guys right now.

just chill. he looks good. but a dozen or so snaps in his first spring game.....let's give the kid a chance to develop a little bit.

I've been touting him since before spring.
I was also critical of JG when he was still in HS as a top 100 player.

Maurer enrolled early. Chaney is all he knows. Unjaded by past experience.
You're telling me to chill, because I know one way or another Maurer will have play, and that I'm saying he will be ready when he does?

You're telling me to chill, because I know one way or another Maurer will have play, and that I'm saying he will be ready when he does?
Yes. Lol

Reactions: LittleVol
You know I'll be honest....

I just want everyone to remember it was ME ALONE hyping Maurer up before it happens 😁.

But you're right. I'm going to chill. All that should matter is that we win...

I just want everyone to remember it was ME ALONE hyping Maurer up before it happens 😁.

Well.. We offered and signed the kid for a reason.

It's not exactly going out on a limb to say "he can play".

It's a whole other thing to move him to #1 on the depth chart because of some practice reports and a performance in a noncontact scrimmage... As a true freshman.

Reactions: butchna
Well.. We offered and signed the kid for a reason.

It's not exactly going out on a limb to say "he can play".

It's a whole other thing to move him to #1 on the depth chart because of some practice reports and a performance in a noncontact scrimmage... As a true freshman.
Again...

I've been hyping Maurer since before spring.
I said I would chill.

Reactions: jakez4ut

What will your response be if Maurer doesnt play a single snap this season or DOES play but looks bad?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
What will your response be if Maurer doesnt play a single snap this season or DOES play but looks bad?
why is this an option...

Edit: Apologies.
You're asking what if. I'm stating what is ACTUALLY going to happen.
I'll humor you anyway.
I would be shocked if Maurer comes in and poops it up. Or if he doesn't play at all.

Last edited:

Easy with the “know” part. Recognize the difference.

Reactions: Behr

Like D4H with Kamara. AFTER he “became aware of new information” when he’d previously stated his legs and hips weren’t good enough...of course. 😉

Reactions: lexkyvol and Behr
If him being a freshman is your only hesitation, then I submit a few examples.
- Johhny Manziel
- Jacob Eason
- Jake Fromm
- Jalen Hurts
- Tua Tagavailoa
- Trevor Lawrence
Etc...

Obviously you think they all would have started and succeeded under the same circumstances as Maurer would be under.

Would be interesting to see what the coaches of those guys would do in Pruitt's shoes this fall.

Obviously you think they all would have started and succeeded under the same circumstances as Maurer would be under.

Would be interesting to see what the coaches of those guys would do in Pruitt's shoes this fall.
All those examples were 4-5 stars save Manziel...and he redshirted.

I think Maurer could start, but not behind our line! Best bet is JG staying healthy and progressing. Hope he is lights out this season and has a little help out there this go around.
Yeah... just throw the OL under the bus... that will fix everything. JG made the OL look worse by making poor reads and slow decisions.

Maurer to his credit has good instincts about when to run and showed good ability to get yards with his feet in the spring game. He also very naturely moves in the pocket. On a couple of plays he dropped then stepped up into the pocket... setting the OT's up for an advantaged blocking position. Those are things that JG has not mastered in almost 4 years.

JG is still the best overall choice but the OL would benefit from a QB who moved like Maurer.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

We'll we're going to find out.
Isn't it strange to you, that just the past two years our OLine has been so bad?
How bad was Richmond when Dobbs was the starter??
It's all connected. Despite what many on here believe in how the game operates: it does so like a chain in where one bad link weakens the whole thing.

The oLine wasn't great when Dobbs was here, but his intelligence and anticipation, running ability masked it. As a QB Being able to feel the pocket and slide to a good angle actually helps your lineman block. When a QB steps up, that means usually the DE has ran past the pocket and then your OT can then leverage the DE away from you. But JG will many times not slide up and then holds the ball and takes a sack like a tough guy....

I believe the past years they are NOT as bad as they seem.

Isn't it strange to you, that just the past two years our OLine has been so bad?
It's all connected. Despite what many on here believe in how the game operates: it does so like a chain in where one bad link weakens the whole thing.

The oLine wasn't great when Dobbs was here, but his intelligence and anticipation, running ability masked it. As a QB Being able to feel the pocket and slide to a good angle actually helps your lineman block. When a QB steps up, that means usually the DE has ran past the pocket and then your OT can then leverage the DE away from you. But JG will many times not slide up and then holds the ball and takes a sack like a tough guy....

I agree with everything you said about Dobbs making the o-line better, but this 2018 line was absolutely horrible

Although Dobbs' line weren't elite players they still were competent enough to block someone on the other side of them.

There were several moments where the line or RB missed blocking assignments in 2018 and caused JG to get clobbered.

JGClobbered1.png
JGClobbered2.png
JGClobbered3.png

Last edited:
Yeah... just throw the OL under the bus... that will fix everything. JG made the OL look worse by making poor reads and slow decisions.

Maurer to his credit has good instincts about when to run and showed good ability to get yards with his feet in the spring game. He also very naturely moves in the pocket. On a couple of plays he dropped then stepped up into the pocket... setting the OT's up for an advantaged blocking position. Those are things that JG has not mastered in almost 4 years.

the OL would benefit from a QB who moved like Maurer.

*Fixed

I agree with everything you said about Dobbs making the o-line better, but this line was absolutely horrible last year.

Although Dobbs' line weren't elite players they still were competent enough to block someone on the other side of them.

There were several moments where they missed blocking assignments in 2018 and caused JG to get clobbered.

There were. Agreed.
However, as a blocker, when you realize you're doing so with a handicap every play, it effects your performance.

It is a handicap when the QB has low awareness and compounds that with slow processing.

3 star early enrollee still should be in high school Brian Maurer is better than anyone we've had at QB since 2016

What are we going good to find out? Where did I blame everything on the OL? But it is really bad. Maurer gonna play defense too?

VN Store

Back