Maurer takes over at some point this season

Based on?

Based on the 2019, 2020, and 2021 football seasons.

Enough of the arguing over stuff we can't prove yet. Don't you get tired of it??

Who cares what it's based on OR not. JG has shown plenty of evidence to support the criticism he draws. Yet you support him. GOOD FOR YOU!

Have a good day...

Based on the 2019, 2020, and 2021 football seasons.

Enough of the arguing over stuff we can't prove yet. Don't you get tired of it??

Who cares what it's based on OR not. JG has shown plenty of evidence to support the criticism he draws. Yet you support him. GOOD FOR YOU!

Have a good day...
Not talking about JG at all.

"Maurer is the best QB we've had since Dobbs."

This is what we are discussing. Don't run from your ridiculous statements.

Once again, based on what?

I’d love to expect a high powered offense but I’d settle for UT just scoring more points than the other team. Had a tough time doing that for the last decade.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I missed the orange and white game since I was out of town, so I watched it last night. JG is more or less the same. Sure, he doesn't turn the ball over, but aside from that, he's just meh. I know this is his fourth oc, but with as much experience he has, he still sucks at reading a defense. Those over-thrown passes were horrendous. The level of play he displayed just isn't going to cut it when we get into sec play. Taking until the 2nd quarter to score a touchdown against a vanilla defense is sad. 😒

I missed the orange and white game since I was out of town, so I watched it last night. JG is more or less the same. Sure, he doesn't turn the ball over, but aside from that, he's just meh. I know this is his fourth oc, but with as much experience he has, he still sucks at reading a defense. Those over-thrown passes were horrendous. The level of play he displayed just isn't going to cut it when we get into sec play. Taking until the 2nd quarter to score a touchdown against a vanilla defense is sad. 😒
eh...they were doing a lot of stuff on defense, even brought it up on the broadcast....FUlmer made the comment while he was in the booth about it....said they're doing everything down there on defense, when i was the coach we would kinda make it entertaining for the fans and really limit the defense, not Jeremy, he said with a giggle.

that said, he did hold on to the ball too long a few times, and there was pressure on all the qb's. several attempts likely never get off the QB's hands if they were allowed to hit the QB's.

i didn't see anything either way that said the OL or the QB's were appreciably better or worse than last year. i did think JG had 2 really good throws.....the post to Jennings and the TD to Jennings. the one TD to Palmer, in the back of the enzone, was a good throw as well.

he sailed a few too....couple balls to the sideline really got away from him....at least one of them the WR was wide open.

we'll see how it shakes out in the fall.

eh...they were doing a lot of stuff on defense, even brought it up on the broadcast....FUlmer made the comment while he was in the booth about it....said they're doing everything down there on defense, when i was the coach we would kinda make it entertaining for the fans and really limit the defense, not Jeremy, he said with a giggle.

that said, he did hold on to the ball too long a few times, and there was pressure on all the qb's. several attempts likely never get off the QB's hands if they were allowed to hit the QB's.

i didn't see anything either way that said the OL or the QB's were appreciably better or worse than last year. i did think JG had 2 really good throws.....the post to Jennings and the TD to Jennings. the one TD to Palmer, in the back of the enzone, was a good throw as well.

he sailed a few too....couple balls to the sideline really got away from him....at least one of them the WR was wide open.

we'll see how it shakes out in the fall.
That part is what kills me with him. Is he ever going to stop eyeing down one receiver? That in itself makes him less dynamic. We will face much harder defenses down the stretch. I know it's too early to give an accurate analysis, so the jury is still out for me. I'm hoping he improves, just didn't see much, if any difference. I'm by no means an expert, it's just my humble opinion.

That first drive by Maurer did spark some excitement for me though. I'm confused by the back to back run plays in the end zone, but overall that particular drive he looked like a well seasoned QB and gave a glimpse of what a winning offense could look like. Shrout can definitely sling the ball, but he comes across a little reckless. I loved Maurers scrambling ability as well.

That part is what kills me with him. Is he ever going to stop eyeing down one receiver? That in itself makes him less dynamic. We will face much harder defenses down the stretch. I know it's too early to give an accurate analysis, so the jury is still out for me. I'm hoping he improves, just didn't see much, if any difference. I'm by no means an expert, it's just my humble opinion.
well, i'll say this. the TD he threw to Jennings, and TD he threw in the back of the end zone to Palmer (or was it Johnson?), were two throws i hadn't really seen him make before. that game me some hope.

the post to Jennings was also a nice throw, and he threw to a spot, not the receiver.....

so there were a copule/three throws he made that raised an eyebrow for me.

but then he did what he has done in the past with the side line stuff, and some holding on to the ball too long....

it's totally cliche, but it's just not wrong here...it's just being consistent. he's flashed some his whole career. he flashed again in the OW game. but can he do it consistently? and reduce the "here we go again" type plays?

we'll see. i think Chaney will be good for him. and i think chaney will be working on ways to minimize some of the deficiencies we have up front, while maximizing what we do (or can do) well.....i do expect TE to be more involved, and i expect a lot more creativity in the run game, while probably schemeing around some of hte issues on the O line.

we're going to probably have to manufacture a running game to a certain degree.....but we have to run the ball. if we can't run the ball, it won't matter how much better JG has gotten....we'll never see it. lol.

Reactions: lexkyvol
well, i'll say this. the TD he threw to Jennings, and TD he threw in the back of the end zone to Palmer (or was it Johnson?), were two throws i hadn't really seen him make before. that game me some hope.

the post to Jennings was also a nice throw, and he threw to a spot, not the receiver.....

so there were a copule/three throws he made that raised an eyebrow for me.

but then he did what he has done in the past with the side line stuff, and some holding on to the ball too long....

it's totally cliche, but it's just not wrong here...it's just being consistent. he's flashed some his whole career. he flashed again in the OW game. but can he do it consistently? and reduce the "here we go again" type plays?

we'll see. i think Chaney will be good for him. and i think chaney will be working on ways to minimize some of the deficiencies we have up front, while maximizing what we do (or can do) well.....i do expect TE to be more involved, and i expect a lot more creativity in the run game, while probably schemeing around some of hte issues on the O line.

we're going to probably have to manufacture a running game to a certain degree.....but we have to run the ball. if we can't run the ball, it won't matter how much better JG has gotten....we'll never see it. lol.
I totally agree. Although I believe that pass in the end zone he made in the auburn or Kentucky game if I'm not mistaking. His inconsistency is baffling. Sometimes he pulls off a "holy sh*t" play and you get excited, then the next down he makes another boneheaded decision. I think Chaney is good for him, and hoping we get a good dynamic kamara-esc rb out of Grey. Banks learns how to hold onto the football, oline improves then we're golden.

Reactions: LittleVol
That first drive by Maurer did spark some excitement for me though. I'm confused by the back to back run plays in the end zone, but overall that particular drive he looked like a well seasoned QB and gave a glimpse of what a winning offense could look like. Shrout can definitely sling the ball, but he comes across a little reckless. I loved Maurers scrambling ability as well.

If Maurer can make our offense score first and fast, that will really help our defense. Many times we'd play teams and fall behind because our offense just would go 3 and out.

Maurer has a dimension we haven't had since Dobbs. He's not as strong as him, but he's only a freshman. Maurer also showed the ability to QUICKLY go through his reads (progression) during that drive. He's accurate too.

Future is now.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I totally agree. Although I believe that pass in the end zone he made in the auburn or Kentucky game if I'm not mistaking. His inconsistency is baffling. Sometimes he pulls off a "holy sh*t" play and you get excited, then the next down he makes another boneheaded decision. I think Chaney is good for him, and hoping we get a good dynamic kamara-esc rb out of Grey. Banks learns how to hold onto the football, oline improves then we're golden.
Grey may be a year early on that front. if Banks has cured his fumbling problem, you could see a lot more of chandler in that role though.

Last edited:
If Maurer can make our offense score first and fast, that will really help our defense. Many times we'd play teams and fall behind because our offense just would go 3 and out.

Maurer has a dimension we haven't had since Dobbs. He's not as strong as him, but he's only a freshman. Maurer also showed the ability to QUICKLY go through his reads (progression) during that drive. He's accurate too.

Future is now.
That's what I saw too. He looked very comfortable running that offense. He's also talented at throwing on the run. He's balanced. Speed when you need it, and controlling the clock when you need to. Just loved how he came out guns blazing. He is a freshman tho, so no, I'm not saying he should take jaretts job. He still needs to develop, but he def is a complete package and I hope to see him lead our vols. If he can be what he was that first drive consistently, man, makes real excited for the future.

That's what I saw too. He looked very comfortable running that offense. He's also talented at throwing on the run. He's balanced. Speed when you need it, and controlling the clock when you need to. Just loved how he came out guns blazing. He is a freshman tho, so no, I'm not saying he should take jaretts job. He still needs to develop, but he def is a complete package and I hope to see him lead our vols. If he can be what he was that first drive consistently, man, makes real excited for the future.
yep. he's a bit of a gunslinger, which is a good thing, if he knows what he's doing....he's got a little ways to go in the football iq department....but yeah, i liked what i saw from the kid overall as well. i could see his team mates really liking him.....

You may be right, just saying based off his highlight reels, that's who he reminds me of. We need an elusive rb.
oh,i agree. Grey is an exciting player. get him a little bulked up, and healthy, and i'll be suprrised if he's not a really fun player to watch here.....i was very happy he came here over Michigan.

oh,i agree. Grey is an exciting player. get him a little bulked up, and healthy, and i'll be suprrised if he's not a really fun player to watch here.....i was very happy he came here over Michigan.
Me too. I love to watch Jennings too even though past couple seasons were a disappointment, I hope he really brings it this season being his senior year and all.

Reactions: jakez4ut

If him being a freshman is your only hesitation, then I submit a few examples.
- Johhny Manziel
- Jacob Eason
- Jake Fromm
- Jalen Hurts
- Tua Tagavailoa
- Trevor Lawrence
Etc...

People have to let go of these ideas that Freshman aren't ready strictly from that fact that they are freshman.

I think you have a good feeling about Maurer. Just stick with that is all I'll say.

Kid was raised in a household that required him to be the man of his house far to early in life. Dude is a baller and a leader.

- Johhny Manziel
- Jacob Eason
- Jake Fromm
- Jalen Hurts
- Tua Tagavailoa
- Trevor Lawrence
Etc...

People have to let go of these ideas that Freshman aren't ready strictly from that fact that they are freshman.

I think you have a good feeling about Maurer. Just stick with that is all I'll say.

Kid was raised in a household that required him to be the man of his house far to early in life. Dude is a baller and a leader.
he's not any of those guys right now.

just chill. he looks good. but a dozen or so snaps in his first spring game.....let's give the kid a chance to develop a little bit.

- Johhny Manziel
- Jacob Eason
- Jake Fromm
- Jalen Hurts
- Tua Tagavailoa
- Trevor Lawrence
Etc...

No doubt but I don't know for sure if he's one of them. Looks to be, but I really don't know until we see him play in the sec. I hope they give him a chance, but I'm not counting on it unless something happens to jg and shrout sh*ts the bed. I think he's better than both of them, but do the coaches? Idk.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back