Car/Truck Buying Experiences

For the most part, dealers and salesmen don't care if you but it or not or at the price they want to sell it. They know someone will but it.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that car salesman would prefer to sell as many cars as possible.

Reactions: Roustabout
I saw that too but after his stories as well as him saying he was a Dodge guy, I figured he had no hope so let it ride. My guess is his be his next story will be how he pitched a no hitter on his church league softball team then the next night hit the ball so far the other team awarded him a bases empty grand slam

Reactions: WallyBalls
I'd be afraid if I drove onto the medium that I might bust my tires going up over the curve.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that car salesman would prefer to sell as many cars as possible.
Oh definitely! But dealership owners, for the most part, understand it's a numbers game.

I've had great luck selling my used cars privately and great success with buying used until I got a 2011 4Runner that went through a independent mechanic's inspection with a clean bill of health and 2K miles later the tranny fell out.

SO..........that leads me to Rockwall Honda to buy a new 2018 Accord in late December. The computer price was attractive from a distance but when we asked about the car, that was the price before Lojac, pinstripe decals, and other assorted nonsense. So I negotiated out of all that including their removal of that stupid pinstripe and got below the computer price. Then when we meet with the finance manager, they shoved a contract in my face with a price that was $1,500 over the starting point in the last two hours of discussion. After two more hours of adjusting out of their mistakes (they kept saying it was somebody's mistake), I finally got back to my price. The experience was completely horrible. I feel great sympathy for others that might come in and fall for the dealership's evil practices. Car dealers are scum.

Reactions: tbh and BAJAvol
I've had great luck selling my used cars privately and great success with buying used until I got a 2011 4Runner that went through a independent mechanic's inspection with a clean bill of health and 2K miles later the tranny fell out.

SO..........that leads me to Rockwall Honda to buy a new 2018 Accord in late December. The computer price was attractive from a distance but when we asked about the car, that was the price before Lojac, pinstripe decals, and other assorted nonsense. So I negotiated out of all that including their removal of that stupid pinstripe and got below the computer price. Then when we meet with the finance manager, they shoved a contract in my face with a price that was $1,500 over the starting point in the last two hours of discussion. After two more hours of adjusting out of their mistakes (they kept saying it was somebody's mistake), I finally got back to my price. The experience was completely horrible. I feel great sympathy for others that might come in and fall for the dealership's evil practices. Car dealers are scum.
Was the tranny the seller or just an interloper?

Oh definitely! But dealership owners, for the most part, understand it's a numbers game.
No. There is literally no greater focus than getting customers into the dealership. The idea that they don't care and they'll sell it to someone else only pertains to vehicles that a strong demand and low supply, and there aren't enough of those to float a dealership. Dealerships spend in the billions on trying to get YOU to buy from them. They essentially give away most if not all, and even beyond the gross profit on the front end to get you in over going somewhere else. And then people will complain about a doc fee. The average consumer has no appreciation for what a dealer spends in floor plan, insurance, paperwork storage, advertising, etc. It's head turning.
Most new car dealerships are counting on hitting monthly or quarterly targets to have any hope of showing a profit on that side of things. New car dealers make their money on the service side as it's recurring business.

Pre-owned cars are a little less clear, as condition, history, recon, and certification can affect what you should pay for a vehicle. Still, many dealers use software pricing tools to insure that they are competitive.

Bad experiences are unfortunate, but there are easy ways to protect yourself. First, if the dealer acts like an idiot on their commercials, then don't complain when they act like idiots when you get there. Pick a dealer that doesn't participate in this stupidity. Inflatable gorillas, balloons, tent sales, repo sales, and gimmicky events are a sure sign. Avoid them. If you see a huddle of sales people smoking in eye sight of customers, turn around and go somewhere else.
Second, stop acting like buying a car is confrontational. You get what you expect in most circumstances. Like any profession, there are always going to be bad people, but if you assume that going in, you'll likely find yourself saying, "they didn't want to sell me car." Humor and sincerity is a great tool. The average sales person will work hard for the customer if they like them. They'll literally become your advocate.
Three- The dealership likely already knows that you have access to a ton of information. This is literally the most transparent retail business on the planet. Dealer cost, and programs are provided all over the internet. Plus, you can get an idea of your trade value with online appraisal sites.

If you have a problem with being qualified on the lot, such as not being taken seriously, then start your search online or call in. Every training program I've seen teaches against pre-qualifying, but it happens.

Stats show that serious buyers visit only 1.4 lots before they buy, because of how effective the internet is in narrowing things down. If you walk on a lot at ground zero, you will literally shock your salesperson.

No. There is literally no greater focus than getting customers into the dealership. The idea that they don't care and they'll sell it to someone else only pertains to vehicles that a strong demand and low supply, and there aren't enough of those to float a dealership. Dealerships spend in the billions on trying to get YOU to buy from them. They essentially give away most if not all, and even beyond the gross profit on the front end to get you in over going somewhere else. And then people will complain about a doc fee. The average consumer has no appreciation for what a dealer spends in floor plan, insurance, paperwork storage, advertising, etc. It's head turning.
Most new car dealerships are counting on hitting monthly or quarterly targets to have any hope of showing a profit on that side of things. New car dealers make their money on the service side as it's recurring business.

Pre-owned cars are a little less clear, as condition, history, recon, and certification can affect what you should pay for a vehicle. Still, many dealers use software pricing tools to insure that they are competitive.

Bad experiences are unfortunate, but there are easy ways to protect yourself. First, if the dealer acts like an idiot on their commercials, then don't complain when they act like idiots when you get there. Pick a dealer that doesn't participate in this stupidity. Inflatable gorillas, balloons, tent sales, repo sales, and gimmicky events are a sure sign. Avoid them. If you see a huddle of sales people smoking in eye sight of customers, turn around and go somewhere else.
Second, stop acting like buying a car is confrontational. You get what you expect in most circumstances. Like any profession, there are always going to be bad people, but if you assume that going in, you'll likely find yourself saying, "they didn't want to sell me car." Humor and sincerity is a great tool. The average sales person will work hard for the customer if they like them. They'll literally become your advocate.
Three- The dealership likely already knows that you have access to a ton of information. This is literally the most transparent retail business on the planet. Dealer cost, and programs are provided all over the internet. Plus, you can get an idea of your trade value with online appraisal sites.

If you have a problem with being qualified on the lot, such as not being taken seriously, then start your search online or call in. Every training program I've seen teaches against pre-qualifying, but it happens.

Stats show that serious buyers visit only 1.4 lots before they buy, because of how effective the internet is in narrowing things down. If you walk on a lot at ground zero, you will literally shock your salesperson.

Okay, so following upon all that and going back to your earlier comment, what is it that's foolish about going to Carmax instead of a traditional dealership? I've bought cars from both, and from private owners and buying services as well, and I have to say I've never had a positive experience with a traditional dealership, even when I was ultimately happy with the car.

The last two cars I bought, I decided to buy used ones and got them at Carmax and both were great experiences. If the tradeoff is that I pay an extra $600 or so on a 30-some thousand dollar purchase because I didn't go through the soul-sucking gamesmanship with the dealer and come out on top, then I'll take it.

I honestly don't mean to disparage your business, and it sounds like you're conscientious about it, but I don't understand why buying a car has to be a contest to see who can squeeze who. I like the idea of seeing a price tag and if I like the price I buy it and if I don't I don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danl and WallyBalls
I honestly don't mean to disparage your business, and it sounds like you're conscientious about it, but I don't understand why buying a car has to be a contest to see who can squeeze who. I like the idea of seeing a price tag and if I like the price I buy it and if I don't I don't.

This. Why all the rigamarole? If car dealers are mostly honest, why not just put a number on it and let it be? I think we all know the answer.

Okay, so following upon all that and going back to your earlier comment, what is it that's foolish about going to Carmax instead of a traditional dealership? I've bought cars from both, and from private owners and buying services as well, and I have to say I've never had a positive experience with a traditional dealership, even when I was ultimately happy with the car.

The last two cars I bought, I decided to buy used ones and got them at Carmax and both were great experiences. If the tradeoff is that I pay an extra $600 or so on a 30-some thousand dollar purchase because I didn't go through the soul-sucking gamesmanship with the dealer and come out on top, then I'll take it.

Keep in mind that I've worked for 21 years at one of the top prestigious brands. I know there is a lot of bad stuff at the lower end. There is a lot to disparage. There are also some obvious things you can do to avoid those experiences.

Carmax sources a lot of questionable cars. I know this from first hand experience. I'm not saying you can't get a good car from Carmax, it's just a fact that they buy a lot of passed over vehicles through auction. The attraction is two fold. Inventory options and no haggle. The problem with no haggle is that you are not getting a good deal. At all. Carmax doesn't save money and usually cost significantly. In fact, the industry states that Carmax makes more on used than anyone else. They averaged more per copy than any other large dealer group. They simply play on your fears. They do have a nice marketing plan.

Again, if you expect gamesmanship, you'll likely get what you expect.
-Let me give you a first hand example. I just completed a deal on a 14 BMW 4-series. Sold it $9k below Kelly Blue Book. Clean Carfax, no issues. The reality is that the KBB is just way off the actual market on this model. Do you think Carmax would make this adjustment? Nope. They'll just send it to another lot. I can't tell you the number of issues I've discovered with vehicles sold through them that were never disclosed. I would never send a family member to buy a car there. Period.

This. Why all the rigamarole? If car dealers are mostly honest, why not just put a number on it and let it be? I think we all know the answer.
Because of you. If it were priced at $2 you'd want it for $1. Many dealers have gone to a single point pricing. Autonation was doing this on pre-owned cars. It doesn't work for everyone. Never has and never will.
There is nothing wrong with pricing things at a negotiable margin.

Because of you. If it were priced at $2 you'd want it for $1. Many dealers have gone to a single point pricing. Autonation was doing this on pre-owned cars. It doesn't work for everyone. Never has and never will.
There is nothing wrong with pricing things at a negotiable margin.

What is the dealer's purpose in "pricing things at a negotiable margin" rather than pricing at whatever margin they want to accept?

Reactions: WallyBalls
What is the dealer's purpose in "pricing things at a negotiable margin" rather than pricing at whatever margin they want to accept?
The biggest reason is trade-ins. There is a lot of psychology in this process. People always want more for their trade than it's actually worth. In fact, most people trading place a higher focus on what they are getting rid of than what they are getting. Therefore, a lot of dealers use their margin to over allow. That is they use part of the profit margin to over allow on the actual cash value of the trade. If the trade is worth $17k, the dealer might allow $18,500 off the inflated price. It addresses the emotional attachment many people place on their vehicle.

Also, someone may actually pay the higher price. It's not a crime to make money. Lastly, many, many people like to get a "deal" and I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "I'm not paying the asking price." It doesn't matter if you are losing money on the deal, they won't pay what's listed. They only perceive a deal if there is a discount involved. There is no one size fits all. There is a reason we don't all drive white Honda Civics. EVERYBODY is different. The CARMAX buyers are driven by different reasons. If your biggest concern is having a no haggle price, then buy from Carmax, but understand there is always another side to the coin.

I'm mixed on "one price" pricing.

Personally my approach (nothing unique) is to get an out the door quote or suggest what I'm willing to pay out the door. If we can get there fine, if not fine also. It's the seller's car to price as they see fit. I don't care nor need to know how they want to allocate the particulars of the sale whether it be fees, add ons or whatever. It's moot to me as the buyer. If I'm financing I make an interest rate part of the OTD price discussion and they can choose the lender of there choice that gives them the most revenue.

I do my research and settle on what I consider to be a fair price with profit left for the dealer and that I'm willing to pay.

It doesn't need to be confrontational.

The biggest reason is trade-ins. There is a lot of psychology in this process. People always want more for their trade than it's actually worth. In fact, most people trading place a higher focus on what they are getting rid of than what they are getting. Therefore, a lot of dealers use their margin to over allow. That is they use part of the profit margin to over allow on the actual cash value of the trade. If the trade is worth $17k, the dealer might allow $18,500 off the inflated price. It addresses the emotional attachment many people place on their vehicle.

Also, someone may actually pay the higher price. It's not a crime to make money. Lastly, many, many people like to get a "deal" and I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "I'm not paying the asking price." It doesn't matter if you are losing money on the deal, they won't pay what's listed. They only perceive a deal if there is a discount involved. There is no one size fits all. There is a reason we don't all drive white Honda Civics. EVERYBODY is different. The CARMAX buyers are driven by different reasons. If your biggest concern is having a no haggle price, then buy from Carmax, but understand there is always another side to the coin.

Carmax always seems over priced to me - that's what you sacrifice with "no haggle" (at least in some cases). Personally I would only buy Carmax or Carvana if they had the exact car I wanted and/or I wanted to be reasonably sure it wasn't a bunch of problems.

Used car buying is a lot tougher I find than new car buying - much less information and you never really know what the dealer has in the used car they are pushing. Also, by definition the used car has some scarcity since they can't order another one just like it.

My biggest issue when car buying is when I stop to take a look, make an offer they don't accept, then proceed to blow my phone up. Looked at one truck about 3 months ago, made a reasonable offer, and they didn't accept it. That's fine, i'll just continue my search. They literally call me and email me 3 times a week. all while they still refuse to come down $2,500 that I offered. They won't move a $1. Again, that's fine, but leave me alone.

Second truck I looked at about a month ago. Test drove the truck and really liked it. They were about $3,500 from where I wanted to be. I never made an offer on the truck, but did ask if the sales manager would be able to move slightly on it. His response was they do not haggle, but typically drop the prices on their used vehicles every 7-10 days. It's dropped $200 in 30 days and I haven't heard from them. Sent the manager an email stating that I changed my mind and decided to trade my truck in, they were close to where I wanted to be on price and may be able to get me there depending on what they offer on trade, and to contact me when he gets a chance. Also thanked them for how they treated me while I was there. That has been 3 weeks ago, and still no contact. They are still sitting on the truck at the same price.

I have no issue with no haggle pricing, but price your stuff to move instead of pricing it at max NADA value BEFORE tax.

My biggest issue when car buying is when I stop to take a look, make an offer they don't accept, then proceed to blow my phone up. Looked at one truck about 3 months ago, made a reasonable offer, and they didn't accept it. That's fine, i'll just continue my search. They literally call me and email me 3 times a week. all while they still refuse to come down $2,500 that I offered. They won't move a $1. Again, that's fine, but leave me alone.

Second truck I looked at about a month ago. Test drove the truck and really liked it. They were about $3,500 from where I wanted to be. I never made an offer on the truck, but did ask if the sales manager would be able to move slightly on it. His response was they do not haggle, but typically drop the prices on their used vehicles every 7-10 days. It's dropped $200 in 30 days and I haven't heard from them. Sent the manager an email stating that I changed my mind and decided to trade my truck in, they were close to where I wanted to be on price and may be able to get me there depending on what they offer on trade, and to contact me when he gets a chance. Also thanked them for how they treated me while I was there. That has been 3 weeks ago, and still no contact. They are still sitting on the truck at the same price.
You might want to consider that your offer wasn't reasonable. The average copy on a pre-owned car is less than $2500. The average mark-up if they are using a pricing matrix is less than $3000. My experience has told me that what people think is reasonable is often not. What you are saying is that the people whose whole livelihood is dependent on selling cars and being competitive, just decided, in your case, to be unreasonable.

Bought a car from Jerry... nice enough guy, but I got screwed into taking that dam TruCoat... waste of money. Wonder what happened to this guy.

57a76b5c2a0000fa01fb52e2.jpeg
Last I heard, he narrowly escaped being charged in a college admissions cheating scandal...

You might want to consider that your offer wasn't reasonable. The average copy on a pre-owned car is less than $2500. The average mark-up if they are using a pricing matrix is less than $3000. My experience has told me that what people think is reasonable is often not. What you are saying is that the people whose whole livelihood is dependent on selling cars and being competitive, just decided, in your case, to be unreasonable.
I watched a video recently that was made by a supposed finance expert. He said that if you encounter a dealership that produces a pricing matrix when going through the negotiation process that you should just walk out of the negotiation. He said it’s an old method that the less honest dealers use.

VN Store

Back