The Rock/Metal Thread

Duncan God bless you big guy. Keep pounding my brother. Proud of you.

13 years in the making, TOOL has been hinting a bunch lately about dropping a new album soon...this year, maybe even next month from what i can gather. They are going on a short tour here, then to Europe, and many expect maybe a longer tour here afterwards to support the new album. They are my favorite band, all time. Vicarious is such a great track. That, the patient (adjective IMO) , and lateralus are my 3 favorite TOOL songs at this time. That changes from time to time though. Danny Carey is the best rock drummer on the planet also IMO. Very well respected by his peers and critics alike. Mentioned in the same breath as Bonham and Pert, some of the old masters of thump. Every member of TOOL is amazingly good, even live, have seen them twice and APC once. So very excited about an album i have waited 13 years for. 10k days was in 2006...

Reactions: FLVOL_79
If you get the chance, take a listen to any solo work from guitarist John Norum. He's best known for his work with Europe and a stint with Don Dokken, but his solo work shows the full range of his talent. Definitely worth your time.

If you get the chance, take a listen to any solo work from guitarist John Norum. He's best known for his work with Europe and a stint with Don Dokken, but his solo work shows the full range of his talent. Definitely worth your time.
He’s a fantastic guitarist. Great song writer and he has tremendous feel.

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Well, have you guys checked out the exit 111 festival lineup? I don’t care for the main acts minus GnR but there are some good shows. And it’s in the fall so not very hot like Bonaroo but on the same site

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Well, have you guys checked out the exit 111 festival lineup? I don’t care for the main acts minus GnR but there are some good shows. And it’s in the fall so not very hot like Bonaroo but on the same site
Just saw a listing for the bands today. Looks like an outstanding lineup. That being said, I can’t imagine camping out for 3 days with the rejects that show will attract. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

To each his own, but the gutteral screaming nearly or completely unintelligible lyrics to a thrash metal tempo is not even music to me
That is just noise. I am glad some enjoy it, more love to ya...i can never even make it through 30 seconds of a song. It triggers my fight or flight adrenaline response, and in my presence, a guy screaming that would have to kick my ass in order to continue if i was somehow locked in the venue and couldnt immediately just leave. It all sounds exactly the same to me. Closest i ever enjoyed to that was pantera...and there are more pantera songs that i dislike than there are that i enjoy...i just really love the good ones
Reminds me of my youth when i was pissed off for absolutely no reason other than waaaaay to much testosterone for my body at that time. I love TOOL, also Deftones, old Korn, RATM, etc...none of those bands did the gutteral scream and growl as a way of communicating.

I am not crapping on anyones taste, as i said...glad you enjoy it. I just wish there were more bands that played and sang in the style that i enjoy. I am not old enough to fondly remember the hair glam bands, my teen years were nirvana, soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, alice n chains which i adore, etc..i even enjoy quite a bit of the RHCP. flea was awesome on the bass and their hits were great IMO, like "suck my kiss". After this period, i liked SOAD some, a couple Staind songs, etc...but that type of music really stagnated. The only decent sounding new bands i have heard in the last couple years are Ghost, who appear to be satanic, so thats a hard "nope", and a few bands from Europe that are kinda clones of TOOL, if such a thing were even possible. It really isnt.

Sorry for the long post, i posted a much shorter 1 maybe a year ago, but was pretty much asking the same thing...if anyone here knows of any decent new bands that are more my style like the ones that i listed above. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Just saw a listing for the bands today. Looks like an outstanding lineup. That being said, I can’t imagine camping out for 3 days with the rejects that show will attract. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

I just told a friend the same thing last night.

To each his own, but the gutteral screaming nearly or completely unintelligible lyrics to a thrash metal tempo is not even music to me
That is just noise. I am glad some enjoy it, more love to ya...i can never even make it through 30 seconds of a song. It triggers my fight or flight adrenaline response, and in my presence, a guy screaming that would have to kick my ass in order to continue if i was somehow locked in the venue and couldnt immediately just leave. It all sounds exactly the same to me. Closest i ever enjoyed to that was pantera...and there are more pantera songs that i dislike than there are that i enjoy...i just really love the good ones
Reminds me of my youth when i was pissed off for absolutely no reason other than waaaaay to much testosterone for my body at that time. I love TOOL, also Deftones, old Korn, RATM, etc...none of those bands did the gutteral scream and growl as a way of communicating.

I am not crapping on anyones taste, as i said...glad you enjoy it. I just wish there were more bands that played and sang in the style that i enjoy. I am not old enough to fondly remember the hair glam bands, my teen years were nirvana, soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, alice n chains which i adore, etc..i even enjoy quite a bit of the RHCP. flea was awesome on the bass and their hits were great IMO, like "suck my kiss". After this period, i liked SOAD some, a couple Staind songs, etc...but that type of music really stagnated. The only decent sounding new bands i have heard in the last couple years are Ghost, who appear to be satanic, so thats a hard "nope", and a few bands from Europe that are kinda clones of TOOL, if such a thing were even possible. It really isnt.

Sorry for the long post, i posted a much shorter 1 maybe a year ago, but was pretty much asking the same thing...if anyone here knows of any decent new bands that are more my style like the ones that i listed above. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
I absolutely love this band. The singer never does any death metal type vocals and the songs are very catchy.

Remember listening to these guys in middle school lol. Not sure how I found this stuff. This is from 2000. Was always into the weird masks. S/O Ed Kemper

VN Store

Back