Danielle Patterson

Cold is just a state of mind. If you don't mind, it ain't cold. Think about it... lol

How many 'ships y'all got left??? šŸ˜

I remember her from her HS days and she is at least worth a look.

Watched her in AAU game and she wanted to play 20 ft. And out... but will she battle inside? Maybe thatā€™s why she did not play much ?

Last edited:
Watched her in AAU game and she wanted to play 20 ft. And out... but will she battle inside? Maybe thatā€™s why she did not play much ?

I remember watching her play on the AAU circuit as well and felt like she had all the talent in the world but was limiting herself. She stayed away from the paint as much as she was allowed to. I think her wanting to be a Wing player and ND adding Destinee Walker as a grad transfer (she is more than likely to start at the wing spot with Brunelle being her back up) Patterson would've more than likely had to start at the 4 or backup Vaughn at the 4 and in that offense the Post players are the last option.

Reactions: PRG
I remember watching her play on the AAU circuit as well and felt like she had all the talent in the world but was limiting herself. She stayed away from the paint as much as she was allowed to. I think her wanting to be a Wing player and ND adding Destinee Walker as a grad transfer (she is more than likely to start at the wing spot with Brunelle being her back up) Patterson would've more than likely had to start at the 4 or backup Vaughn at the 4 and in that offense the Post players are the last option.

It reminds me of A'ja Wilson her freshman year. "Hi, my name is A'ja, and I'm a guard for South Carolina!". Yeah, a guard that can't dribble or shoot beyond 5 feet from the basket. It didn't take long for Dawn to put an end to that nonsense and send her to the block where she belonged. My sense with Patterson is that while Wilson saw the error in her thinking, Danielle is still deluded enough to believe that her skills at the wing are good enough to play there instead of the paint.

There has been a lot of these big girls with limited shooting/perimeter games that are thinking this way, and I have yet to see a single one excel as a college player in that role.

It reminds me of A'ja Wilson her freshman year. "Hi, my name is A'ja, and I'm a guard for South Carolina!". Yeah, a guard that can't dribble or shoot beyond 5 feet from the basket. It didn't take long for Dawn to put an end to that nonsense and send her to the block where she belonged. My sense with Patterson is that while Wilson saw the error in her thinking, Danielle is still deluded enough to believe that her skills at the wing are good enough to play there instead of the paint.

There has been a lot of these big girls with limited shooting/perimeter games that are thinking this way, and I have yet to see a single one excel as a college player in that role.

Exactly, I've always told my players when I coach and was told by coaches who coach me to be available to play wherever needed and give your all wherever you're placed. You'll have far more opportunities to play and improve that way.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Exactly, I've always told my players when I coach and was told by coaches who coach me to be available to play wherever needed and give your all wherever you're placed. You'll have far more opportunities to play and improve that way.

I think it can be a tricky situation. For example, I think Kim Mulkey failed Nina Davis by not developing her perimeter skills; however, Vic Schaefer did help Anriel Howard develop a more well rounded offensive game even if he still had her focus predominantly on her bread-and-butter midrange and in scoring and rebounds. I guess the difference is that Anriel proved she could reliably score from all over the court and Vic realized he would be foolish to not take advantage of this.

I think it can be a tricky situation. For example, I think Kim Mulkey failed Nina Davis by not developing her perimeter skills; however, Vic Schaefer did help Anriel Howard develop a more well rounded offensive game even if he still had her focus predominantly on her bread-and-butter midrange and in scoring and rebounds. I guess the difference is that Anriel proved she could reliably score from all over the court and Vic realized he would be foolish to not take advantage of this.

I agree but I think in Kim's defense Nina wanted to prove that she can get it done down there, I watched her play a few AAU games prior to attending Baylor as well and her mindset was to always try to prove to the "trees" that they aren't bigger/better than her. She could've been used away from the basket for sure but I think she (Nina) was happy to get all the touches and the offense going through her that she dealt with it.

I think Geno tried to do that some in Gabby's last year and not make her play so much at the 4/5 but it was difficult because his 6'6" player (Azura) didn't want to bang down low and his 5'11" player did it without a problem.

Danielle should be able to play the 3 and 4,

I agree but I think in Kim's defense Nina wanted to prove that she can get it done down there, I watched her play a few AAU games prior to attending Baylor as well and her mindset was to always try to prove to the "trees" that they aren't bigger/better than her. She could've been used away from the basket for sure but I think she (Nina) was happy to get all the touches and the offense going through her that she dealt with it.

I think Geno tried to do that some in Gabby's last year and not make her play so much at the 4/5 but it was difficult because his 6'6" player (Azura) didn't want to bang down low and his 5'11" player did it without a problem.

Not fixing Nina's fugly jump shot with a 4-second hitch probably cost her a WNBA career. There's no fix for that. Even though Gabby was forced to play the 4/5 at UConn, at least she has a reliable mid-range jumper...and that's all she has in the WNBA because she can't guard or score on their posts. I think Anriel has the most varied offense, even if she doesn't have the ball handling skills of Gabby. I think she will ultimately become the best out of the 5'11 post-dynamos.

Not entirely fair, Satou Sabally and Alana Smith this past season were both big girls who can play the wing. Smith doesn't have the same handles as Sabally but both are quality perimeter and inside players. Definitely the exception and not the rule. "Big guards" do exist though. Joyner Holmes is another victim of that thought process. She's not a guard, she needs to plant that big body down on the block, she has no outside shot and cannot handle the ball well enough to penetrate to the basket in the half court. She can run the break sometimes, but she definitely doesn't have guard skills.

Not entirely fair, Satou Sabally and Alana Smith this past season were both big girls who can play the wing. Smith doesn't have the same handles as Sabally but both are quality perimeter and inside players. Definitely the exception and not the rule. "Big guards" do exist though. Joyner Holmes is another victim of that thought process. She's not a guard, she needs to plant that big body down on the block, she has no outside shot and cannot handle the ball well enough to penetrate to the basket in the half court. She can run the break sometimes, but she definitely doesn't have guard skills.
I caveat-ed my statement by adding the qualifier of limited shooting/perimeter game. Sabally and Smith were obvious exceptions, but even with them they played inside, but were classic stretch 4's (or in Smith's case, 5) who could extend the defenses with their perimeter shooting. Wilson could not do that. She took 4 3-pt shots (made 1) in her first 3 years at SC. Holmes IMO is a bit different. I think she has the handle/passing ability, and from the games I watched she scored mostly off mid range jumpers and putbacks vs. playing with her back to the basket. She reminds me of Parker in her ability to grab the defensive rebound at one end and quickly push the ball up the floor to score or dish. But I do agree that her perimeter game is limited in the half-court setting.

VN Store

Back