SC Te'a Cooper now in transfer portal

That is my bet as well, I'm thinking Mulkey would be more interested in someone like Dixon from Ga Tech who could be an immediate impact player in the post and give her added size and depth where she likes to have it.

Egbo and Smith are both great, but you can't teach 6'5"
Dixon is the one I really want. She's from Memphis so hopefully Nina Davis can have some sway in this.

Dixon is the one I really want. She's from Memphis so hopefully Nina Davis can have some sway in this.

She is a solid player and seems to be a great person as well. She would be a huge asset to fill the shoes of Cox after she graduates. Picking her up would give her a full year to play against Lauren in practice and really learn how to be dominant and play in Kim's system.

Reactions: mcannon1 and BUBear
Many on this board said you call ahead for fresh fried onesStaley would have her playing at a high level.

A SC fan posted this:

We're also losing 165 turnovers.

Krystal's has good turnovers. if you call ahead they will toss em into the fryer & make em good and hot

One of the best EVER...... šŸ¤”

Then since South Carolina has lost 65# of its recruits (9 of 14 ?) over the last few years....
2 or 3 of them will potentially be gone soon ! Just Saying šŸ˜ˆ

Players lost to transfers:

2019-20: Herbert-Harrigan, Cooper, Jackson, Williams
2018-19: Victoria Patrick
2017-18: Araion Bradshaw
2016-17: Jatarie White, Kaydra Duckett, Shay Colley

Players gained:

2019-20: Aliyah Boston, Zia Cooke, Laeticia Amihere, Brianna Beal, Olivia Thompson
2018-19: Destanni Henderson, Victaria Saxton, Elysa Wesolek, Nelly Perry
2017-18: Te'a Cooper, Bianca Jackson, Lele Grissett, LaDazhia Williams
2016-17: Ty Harris, Araion Bradshaw, Kiki Herbert-Harrigan, Victoria Patrick

I count 9 of 17 (53%)....

COMPLETE AND UTTER SPIN PIECE

"The attrition rate at South Carolina is no higher than anywhere else, in fact it is pretty low. "
----Untrue over 65% transfer rate [since] 2014

Ah, OK then:

Players lost to transfers:

2019-20: Herbert-Harrigan, Cooper, Jackson, Williams
2018-19: Victoria Patrick
2017-18: Araion Bradshaw
2016-17: Jatarie White, Kaydra Duckett, Shay Colley
2015-16: none
2014-15: none

Players gained:

2019-20: Aliyah Boston, Zia Cooke, Laeticia Amihere, Brianna Beal, Olivia Thompson
2018-19: Destanni Henderson, Victaria Saxton, Elysa Wesolek, Nelly Perry
2017-18: Te'a Cooper, Bianca Jackson, Lele Grissett, LaDazhia Williams
2016-17: Ty Harris, Araion Bradshaw, Kiki Herbert-Harrigan, Victoria Patrick
2015-16: Kaela Davis, Alisha Grey, Alexis Jennings, Shay Colley, Sarah Imovbioh
2014-15: A'ja Wilson, Jatarie White, Bianca Cuevas-Moore, Kaydra Duckett, Doniyah Cliney,

I count 9 of 27 (33%)....

Reactions: JustaChicken
Both Cooper and Herbert-Harrigan are surprises to me, but Herbert-Harrigan moreso of the two. Cooper is an explosive offensive player, and came onto the Gamecock team when the team needed offense: they could have used her scoring in 2017-18 to provide support to Wilson, but the NCAA saw different. That season saw pre-season injury to Cuevas-Moore and in-season injury to graduate transfer guard Lindsey Spann, that cut down the guard depth to essentially Harris, freshman Jackson, and ineffective Patrick. As a result, Harris developed into a All-SEC PG leading the conference in assists and steals per game, and Jackson had an All-Freshman type season.

Then this past season, Cooper and Perry were eligible to play, Cuevas-Moore was healthy, and Henderson joined the team. Spann moved on - her playing eligibility spent - and Patrick transferred. But now there were 6 guards with Harris and Jackson. The above linked 247Sports article states that Cooper dribbled a lot and held onto the ball a lot, and that may be true. She wasn't the most efficient scorer even as mostly a slasher to the basket as opposed to a perimeter shooter, but she did draw a lot of fouls and was a solid FT shooter. I also was ready to give her a bit of the benefit of the doubt, seeing how she had just sat two straight seasons due to injury and red-shirt, and she might have been a bit "rusty" in actual playing. But her effectiveness dropped while during the SEC portion of the schedule, and so her minutes dropped as well, while Harris' increased.

Harris meanwhile struggled a bit in the first portion of the season: she wasn't managing the ball as much as she had the previous season, with Cooper sharing the load. During the SEC portion of the schedule however, she rebounded and totaled 99 (6.2 apg) assists to just 30 TOs in 16 SEC games. And Jackson's minutes dropped considerably with Cooper and Cuevas-Moore in the mix - she was 4th in minutes/game after Harris, Cooper, and Cuevas-Moore, but often played disinterested, and never found a rhythm.

Next season Cuevas-Moore and Perry are gone, although Cooke and Thompson are coming in. I thought just for next season, with Harris and Cooper being seniors, there'd be a strong rotation of Harris-Cooper, and Henderson-Cooke at the 1 and 2 spots, and Thompson being used at both the 2 and 3 for perimeter scoring. Jackson is a big 2 and more a Wing at 5-11, and could find minutes at the 3 with Beal in a guard-strong lineup, with 6-0 Cliney and 5-10 Perry graduating. As it is now, it'll be Harris and Henderson, and Cooke and Thompson in the rotation, with heavy rotation between the first 3 of those 4. Beal is the lone 3 now, with Wesolek, Grissett, and Saxton being bigger 6-1 and 6-2 options, but they are more suited for inside the paint players at the 4.

Herbert-Harrigan is the biggest hit here of all the transfers. She really made huge strides this past season, and has the biggest upside in terms of team impact, with her scoring, rebounding, shot-blocking, and steals. Kiki was a very energetic player that reminded me of Alaina Coates without the size and physicality, but with a solid 3-pt. shot - a very athletic player that can fill the stat sheets, but can be hot and cold and a bit moody without much forward notice. I felt between Harris and her to be the most solid locks of returning players for being all-season-long starters next season, mostly because in Kiki's case, 1) the team wasn't very deep with proven bigs, and 2) Amihere may not be quite ready to jump into the season full force with her recovery from ACL surgery that required some follow-up work done. With Jennings graduating and Williams transferring, it was going to be Boston as the automatic 5 Post, Herbert-Harrigan at the 4, 6-2 bigs Grissett and Saxton backing them up, and 6-3 Amihere catching up as the season progressed. Now it will be Boston, Amihere, Grissett, and Saxton as the primary bigs, and not a ton of experience in that group....

IMO, it would do the roster some good for Coach Staley and staff to go find 1 or 2 experience bigs to add to the lineup. Now they will have 9 scholarship players plus preferred walk-on Thompson. Staley has always stated that she thought the perfect roster size is around 12, so two should work well for her....

Last edited:
Whale shiite! Looks like Cooper will be a Lady Bear.

skilledup

During her official visit in a couple of weeks. Her fianc (Dwight Howard) is Going to be something different for the program.

skilledup

During her official visit in a couple of weeks. Her fianc (Dwight Howard) is Going to be something different for the program.

Color me confused, but what exactly is this supposed to say?

Has she already had her visit? Or itā€™s coming up? I wouldnā€™t think a decision has for certain been made just off of a visit.

Not sure thatā€™s good. I thought Dawn could handle her, but apparently she could not. Kim may have a handful; I have a lot of confidence in Kim, and it is just for one year. Good luck.
I think Kim will use last season as a learning tool and have Honesty ready to step in and run the show if she has to give Cooper the old Alexis Morris boot.

I think Mulkey would have Cooper by the short hairs as far as basketball beyond college is concerned. WNBA Execs would have to think long and hard before drafting a player that has had problems at THREE of the Top Tier college programs in the NCAA. Would she be worth their investment?

I think Kim will use last season as a learning tool and have Honesty ready to step in and run the show if she has to give Cooper the old Alexis Morris boot.

I think Mulkey would have Cooper by the short hairs as far as basketball beyond college is concerned. WNBA Execs would have to think long and hard before drafting a player that has had problems at THREE of the Top Tier college programs in the NCAA. Would she be worth their investment?

okk..

From June 9th:

It's looking less likely to me that Cooper will be coming to Baylor...or play basketball again. More on this in the following post.

Both Cooper and Herbert-Harrigan are surprises to me, but Herbert-Harrigan moreso of the two. Cooper is an explosive offensive player, and came onto the Gamecock team when the team needed offense: they could have used her scoring in 2017-18 to provide support to Wilson, but the NCAA saw different. That season saw pre-season injury to Cuevas-Moore and in-season injury to graduate transfer guard Lindsey Spann, that cut down the guard depth to essentially Harris, freshman Jackson, and ineffective Patrick. As a result, Harris developed into a All-SEC PG leading the conference in assists and steals per game, and Jackson had an All-Freshman type season.

Then this past season, Cooper and Perry were eligible to play, Cuevas-Moore was healthy, and Henderson joined the team. Spann moved on - her playing eligibility spent - and Patrick transferred. But now there were 6 guards with Harris and Jackson. The above linked 247Sports article states that Cooper dribbled a lot and held onto the ball a lot, and that may be true. She wasn't the most efficient scorer even as mostly a slasher to the basket as opposed to a perimeter shooter, but she did draw a lot of fouls and was a solid FT shooter. I also was ready to give her a bit of the benefit of the doubt, seeing how she had just sat two straight seasons due to injury and red-shirt, and she might have been a bit "rusty" in actual playing. But her effectiveness dropped while during the SEC portion of the schedule, and so her minutes dropped as well, while Harris' increased.

Harris meanwhile struggled a bit in the first portion of the season: she wasn't managing the ball as much as she had the previous season, with Cooper sharing the load. During the SEC portion of the schedule however, she rebounded and totaled 99 (6.2 apg) assists to just 30 TOs in 16 SEC games. And Jackson's minutes dropped considerably with Cooper and Cuevas-Moore in the mix - she was 4th in minutes/game after Harris, Cooper, and Cuevas-Moore, but often played disinterested, and never found a rhythm.

Next season Cuevas-Moore and Perry are gone, although Cooke and Thompson are coming in. I thought just for next season, with Harris and Cooper being seniors, there'd be a strong rotation of Harris-Cooper, and Henderson-Cooke at the 1 and 2 spots, and Thompson being used at both the 2 and 3 for perimeter scoring. Jackson is a big 2 and more a Wing at 5-11, and could find minutes at the 3 with Beal in a guard-strong lineup, with 6-0 Cliney and 5-10 Perry graduating. As it is now, it'll be Harris and Henderson, and Cooke and Thompson in the rotation, with heavy rotation between the first 3 of those 4. Beal is the lone 3 now, with Wesolek, Grissett, and Saxton being bigger 6-1 and 6-2 options, but they are more suited for inside the paint players at the 4.

Herbert-Harrigan is the biggest hit here of all the transfers. She really made huge strides this past season, and has the biggest upside in terms of team impact, with her scoring, rebounding, shot-blocking, and steals. Kiki was a very energetic player that reminded me of Alaina Coates without the size and physicality, but with a solid 3-pt. shot - a very athletic player that can fill the stat sheets, but can be hot and cold and a bit moody without much forward notice. I felt between Harris and her to be the most solid locks of returning players for being all-season-long starters next season, mostly because in Kiki's case, 1) the team wasn't very deep with proven bigs, and 2) Amihere may not be quite ready to jump into the season full force with her recovery from ACL surgery that required some follow-up work done. With Jennings graduating and Williams transferring, it was going to be Boston as the automatic 5 Post, Herbert-Harrigan at the 4, 6-2 bigs Grissett and Saxton backing them up, and 6-3 Amihere catching up as the season progressed. Now it will be Boston, Amihere, Grissett, and Saxton as the primary bigs, and not a ton of experience in that group....

IMO, it would do the roster some good for Coach Staley and staff to go find 1 or 2 experience bigs to add to the lineup. Now they will have 9 scholarship players plus preferred walk-on Thompson. Staley has always stated that she thought the perfect roster size is around 12, so two should work well for her....

I don't think this person has a real job!

The last 3 NC winners all relied heavily on transfers.

Jess Shepard's transfer made a world of difference for ND en route to the NC last year, and Chloe Jackson was the final four MOP for this year's Baylor squad.

Who is this person that actually came into our house to tell one of us to stick with lady vols? if You need a home, if ur homeless then stay a little bit and don't tell a home owner wat to do okkk

VN Store

Back