Interesting perspective from UCLA writer on the Barnes negotiations.....

I don't believe 90% of what I read on the internet and even that might be too high a percentage. Let's just say I'm a tad skeptical on this one.

I believe Barnes totally on what he had to say about the whole UCLA matter. I absolutely do not believe that Barns ever tried to pry more money out of UT. Money has not meant that much to him and was the reason that for one season he was paying a huge amount of money out of this own salary to keep an assistant coach that he valued to the success of his program. Barnes was a life long admirer and close personal friend of UCLA basketball coach John Wooden....10 of their national championships out of 11 total. That was his total interest and admiration of UCLA and former coach John Wooden.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Honest Rick? Pious Rick? Why all of these potshots at our coach based upon what is likely UCLA spin control via a supplicant media?
It continues to bother me the way our fans treat our own and react to these situations.

Just because something is printed by someone doesn't make it true. Long-time reporter or not, we have no way of knowing that this article is true. Also, just because something is said at a presser doesn't make it true. Even though this is our coach we don't know that he's speaking complete truth. It's one word against the other.

Yet, we have a group of fans who are quick to believe stories and rumors that shed negative light on our own, and treat our own accordingly, rather than believe what our own say, even without taking time to look at the logic of the situation.

Reactions: 10-scvol
After hearing Barnes in that PC, my number one question was if UCLA backed out because they were not going to pay the buyout, then why the **** did we turn around and give him that big raise. I like Barnes and all, but I have never thought he was worth anything close to what we ended up giving him. I feel we (Fulmer) panicked and made a poor financial investment. JMO
I ve wondered the same in regards to the reaction of Barnes and his new contract.

In regards to Barnes essentially playing UCLA. Did he call Dixon for tips cause that has some irony mixed in. Sounds a little too easy.

So Pearson is saying Barnes colluded with the Bruins to get a better salary from Tennessee and then tried to obstruct the deal by having his financial advisor ask for more money form the Bruins.

Oh I see what you did there. Well played, sig.

Have any of you actually read what was written in the UCLA article? Wondering b/c I don't pay for 24/7, and when I went looking for it I realized Tony had the website wrong and the author's name spelled wrong.

It was actually written by Tracy Pierson of BruinReportOnline.com FWIW. Other than that, I'm sure he was accurate....

Reactions: VolNExile
UCLA could save face, instead they let everyone get all pizzed they didnā€™t just pay all of the buyout..........I donā€™t get it.

Also Barnes seems like a smart man..........one would have to think the 25 million is the very most he could squeeze out of that........Iā€™m sure he know that.........if you know it why ruin the chance by asking for a few hundred thousand more?

I don't have any first hand knowledge about the details of his flirtation with UCLA. What I do know is that his contract as it stands now significantly raises expectations. Based on said contract, UT should have the same goals/expectations as all the other major programs in college basketball.

He was pretty off base on his entire take with Barnes from Day 1, he declared he would never succeed here pretty matter of fact. Also when the UCLA stuff first came out he was trying to stir the pot and make it known Barnes and Fulmer wouldnā€™t be able to work things out, that was obviously pretty false. IMO this article is likely a spin from UCLA since they looked like idiots running this search, their fans arenā€™t happy about missing on Barnes because of an unwillingness to pay his buyout.

And forgive me for not believing UCLA sites either, they were adamant that Barnes was taking the job and headed to LA...theyā€™re trying to save face.

Basilio was way off in his assessment of Barnes. He has acknowledged how wrong he was on air virtually every day going back about 15 months.

I think I heard everything Basilio said between that Sunday night and Monday night. Nothing came off to me as stirring the pot, and I donā€™t recall him saying Fulmer and Barnes wouldnā€™t work it out. Basilio said several times on air that heā€™d believe Barnes would leave for UCLA when he saw it. Basilio later tweeted after his show that it was coming down to the buyout, and it appears that was accurate.

The 24/7 story could certainly be UCLA delivering a spin to a reporter, like you said.

It sounds like everyone has a strong opinion of Basilio - they either listen to him a lot or they think heā€™s just a pot stirrer and donā€™t listen to him.

BS-Meter.jpg

It continues to bother me the way our fans treat our own and react to these situations.

Just because something is printed by someone doesn't make it true. Long-time reporter or not, we have no way of knowing that this article is true. Also, just because something is said at a presser doesn't make it true. Even though this is our coach we don't know that he's speaking complete truth. It's one word against the other.

Yet, we have a group of fans who are quick to believe stories and rumors that shed negative light on our own, and treat our own accordingly, rather than believe what our own say, even without taking time to look at the logic of the situation.
Agreed. I would describe some of the backlash toward Barnes that I'm seeing from Vol fans on Twitter as bitterness... but he didn't even leave? We are the scorned woman who still has her husband.

Basilio is not referring to an article, it was posted on a message board called "BRO Premium Hoops". Here is the relevant portion of the post:

"So, then thereā€™s the Rick Barnes story. Just so you know, Barnes comes off as a really nice, high-quality guy. He doesnā€™t have an agent. He does all of his own negotiations, another indication that he projects being down-to-earth. Really simply, UCLA offered Barnes the job and he accepted the terms. It was pretty lucrative for Barnes, upward of $6 million a year, probably more than heā€™s worth. Despite what heā€™s saying now, UCLA agreed to pay his buyout. From what Iā€™ve heard from many, many sources, he then went back to Tennessee, and then contacted UCLA again and asked for more. After he accepted the terms. First, thatā€™s pretty bad form. Second, as I said, it was more than Barnes was worth. And how he did it: a source told me that he had his financial advisor, someone UCLA didnā€™t know (and had never dealt with, I believe) call UCLA to tell them Barnes wanted more money. He had said he did all of his own negotiation ā€“ and then pulled that. I think at this time, for UCLA there was some fatigue over this type of slippery tactics after Calipari. And these were some initial red flags; I think UCLA thought that this was a bad first indication of how Barnes might operate. So UCLA told Barnesā€™ financial advisor that they were pulling out. Barnes then contacted UCLA and was flustered over UCLA pulling out, and said heā€™d accept the original terms. But UCLA turned him down. "

This from Basilio.......Legit? Who knows.....

ā€œDid you see the reports last night from Tracy Pearson of 24/7's Bruinsreport.com? This guy has been reporting on the Bruins since 2001 and had some rather interesting reporting on the Barnes flirtation with UCLA. Do yourself a favor and search this out today. This is a paid site, and I don't want to post all of what he wrote here but I will hit some high points here. Rest assured you will leave his reporting even more confused than you think you are regarding what really went on between Barnes, UCLA and Tennessee.

Suffice it to say that it appears Barnes may have agreed to the terms of the job and UCLA agreed to the buyout and then Barnes went to Tennessee AND THEN contacted UCLA for more money. It was actually his financial advisor that called UCLA and demanded more money AFTER BARNES AGREED TO THE TERMS ORIGINALLY. Then UCLA wouldn't pony up more cash and UCLA told Barnes' financial advisor that they were pulling out. The report went on to say that Barnes then called UCLA to say he'd accept the original terms but UCLA told him they were out. If this report is right, Barnes had nowhere left to go when Tennessee made him that YUUUUUGE offer. No offense to Rick Barnes but when you open yourself and your business up to the world, it better pass muster.ā€

Pearson in LA has been reporting on the Bruins for a long time. I'm not taking sides here in terms of where the truth lies but the truth always lies somewhere in the middle. Is there any more apropos way to end today's blog where we celebrated the weirdness that is this place than to try and wrap your head around what you just read. So reports out of LA last night are that Tennessee bid against themselves to make Rick Barnes the third highest paid coach in college basketball. You have to appreciate this place.ā€

Lies............so, when did we start believing any sports writers? I don't care how long he has been writing for UCLA, all he is trying to do is make UCLA look good after being kicked to the curb by UT. This is fact, because my cousin's best friend, who is related to a guy, who knows a guy, and he said he heard a rumor.............geesh, don't be so naive.

Reactions: onevol74
Basilio is not referring to an article, it was posted on a message board called "BRO Premium Hoops". Here is the relevant portion of the post:

"So, then thereā€™s the Rick Barnes story. Just so you know, Barnes comes off as a really nice, high-quality guy. He doesnā€™t have an agent. He does all of his own negotiations, another indication that he projects being down-to-earth. Really simply, UCLA offered Barnes the job and he accepted the terms. It was pretty lucrative for Barnes, upward of $6 million a year, probably more than heā€™s worth. Despite what heā€™s saying now, UCLA agreed to pay his buyout. From what Iā€™ve heard from many, many sources, he then went back to Tennessee, and then contacted UCLA again and asked for more. After he accepted the terms. First, thatā€™s pretty bad form. Second, as I said, it was more than Barnes was worth. And how he did it: a source told me that he had his financial advisor, someone UCLA didnā€™t know (and had never dealt with, I believe) call UCLA to tell them Barnes wanted more money. He had said he did all of his own negotiation ā€“ and then pulled that. I think at this time, for UCLA there was some fatigue over this type of slippery tactics after Calipari. And these were some initial red flags; I think UCLA thought that this was a bad first indication of how Barnes might operate. So UCLA told Barnesā€™ financial advisor that they were pulling out. Barnes then contacted UCLA and was flustered over UCLA pulling out, and said heā€™d accept the original terms. But UCLA turned him down. "
tenor.gif

Reactions: OrangenSC
Agree, this is UCLA spin to take the stink out of their ridiculously botched coaching search.

If this scenario was really the case do you really think Barnes answers "the" question in his press conference the way he did? Not a chance.

Again, I didn't like the answer. It could have been way better. But, it was the truth.

This story is UCLA propaganda and, actually, makes no sense.

Easy there big fella... botched coaching searches is ours... all ours!

I will tell you one more thing, Coach Barnes is no dumb@$$, he parlayed a great year into a big pay check...........I would have done the same thing, he loves Tennessee, but when it comes to putting food on my table vs. anyone..........guess what? He got screwed by that other team in Texas with the ugliest orange known to man, and learned that one or two bad seasons can cost you $$$$. He is an elite coach, and by all things SEC, you get what you pay for..............results.

I dont believe this report. If Rick were going to lie, why wouldn't he say something more flattering to himself and Tennessee? It was obviously about the buyout or he wouldn't have said that.

Also , who cares if it was about the money? We knew that it was from the start. I see a bunch of sarcastic remarks about Rick's faith as if, if he were a true Christian, he wouldn't be trying to make the most money possible? Why? Of course you want to make as much as you can! I'm a Christian, and if another company comes and offers me significantly more money, of course I'm gonna listen!
If it is strictly about the money or buyout, why doesn't CRB just admit he was "praying" for more money? Which he got, so his prayer answered.

Reactions: Big time vol
ā€œWhen it comes to money, everyone is the same religionā€.

A lot of people have proven that to me over the years. Add Barnes to the list.

Reactions: Big time vol

VN Store

Back