Fall Depth Chart 2019 - Way Too Early

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
This is an attempt at a depth chart for the end of Fall Camp 2019....here is my 2 deep...

QB - Guarantano, Shrout
RB - Chandler, Jordan
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Calloway, Brandon Johnson
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OT - Jahmir Johnson, Morris
OG - Carvin, Calbert
C - Kennedy, Ryan Johnson
OG - Trey Smith, Locklear
OT - Darnell Wright, Tatum

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
DE - Savion Williams, Middleton
OLB - Darrel Taylor, Kivon Bennett
MLB - Bituli, Shannon Reid
MLB - Ignont, JJ Peterson
OLB - Deandre Johnson, Jordan Allen
CB - Alontae Taylor, Tyus Fields
CB - Thompson, Shamburger
Nickel - Buchanan, Deangelo Gibbs
FS - Warrior, McCullough
SS - Flowers, Theo Jackson

Any thoughts??

I am going out on a limb here and put in a few Freshman that have not played yet. I just have a hunch on a few of them. And I tell ya I think we have a solid 2 deep and working on a 3rd. I only changed a few things on Offense. I think Maurer beats out Shrout. I think Ryan Johnson is better at Center than Kennedy but the rest of the roster on OFF I agree with. On Defense I agree somewhat with the DL and OLB but I do believe that Shannon Reid will beat out Ignont and I got a hunch To'oto'o will be our 2 string man moving Ignont behind Bituli. I would also look out for Crouch at LB. I think when he learns everything he will be our next big time LB. I think that Burrell will be in the 2 deep at CB behind Thompson. I think Gibbs is way better than Buchanan and will start. And I am guessing Aaron Beasley is going to come in and be in the 2 deep at Safety behind Flowers.

QB - Guarantano, Maurer
RB - Chandler, Jordan (I think Eric Grey comes in middle of season as number 2 RB)
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert
C - Ryan Johnson, Kennedy

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
MLB - Bituli, Ignont
MLB - Shannon Reid, Henry To'oto'o
CB - Thompson, Warren Burrell
Nickel - Deangelo Gibbs, Buchanan
FS - Warrior, McCullough
SS - Flowers, Aaron (Tank) Beasley

Last edited:
I am going out on a limb here and put in a few Freshman that have not played yet. I just have a hunch on a few of them. And I tell ya I think we have a solid 2 deep and working on a 3rd.

QB - Guarantano, Maurer
RB - Chandler, Jordan (I think Eric Grey comes in middle of season as number 2 RB)
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
MLB - Bituli, Ignont
FS - Warrior, McCullough

Tank is McCullough. Even though Beasley hits really hard!
I like the Gibbs at Nickel. Either he or Flowers with McCullough starting at SS.

Banks is going to get better at RB. His body is really beginning to transform. He will play as much as Jordan.

Every time I look at that defense it begins to look deeper.

QB - Guarantano, Maurer - agree but was thinking that Maurer will redshirt

C - Ryan Johnson, Kennedy - I doubt this lol..

MLB - Shannon Reid, Henry To'oto'o - can’t see Shannon starting over Ignont but you never know

CB - Thompson, Warren Burrell - burrell over the Sham? Not sure

Nickel - Deangelo Gibbs, Buchanan - love this idea

SS - Flowers, Aaron (Tank) Beasley - not sure Beasley will be a safety honestly, and Theo
Is a jr.

The OG are likely not playing out that way, though I hope they do. I still have doubts Trey Smith will be able to come back, and Calvert seems to have exited the spring ahead of Carving. Granted things can definitely change.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
This is an attempt at a depth chart for the end of Fall Camp 2019....here is my 2 deep...

QB - Guarantano, Shrout
RB - Chandler, Jordan
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
FS - Warrior, McCullough

Any thoughts??
I would switch jj for crouch other than. That . Looks about right . Hoping that trey can play .we sure need him

I am going out on a limb here and put in a few Freshman that have not played yet. I just have a hunch on a few of them. And I tell ya I think we have a solid 2 deep and working on a 3rd. I only changed a few things on Offense. I think Maurer beats out Shrout. I think Ryan Johnson is better at Center than Kennedy but the rest of the roster on OFF I agree with. On Defense I agree somewhat with the DL and OLB but I do believe that Shannon Reid will beat out Ignont and I got a hunch To'oto'o will be our 2 string man moving Ignont behind Bituli. I would also look out for Crouch at LB. I think when he learns everything he will be our next big time LB. I think that Burrell will be in the 2 deep at CB behind Thompson. I think Gibbs is way better than Buchanan and will start. And I am guessing Aaron Beasley is going to come in and be in the 2 deep at Safety behind Flowers.

QB - Guarantano, Maurer
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
MLB - Bituli, Ignont
FS - Warrior, McCullough
Things are shaping up regarding talent and depth for our football team as I look at this list. Tennessee needs two more great recruiting cycles to get more talent in to be competitive with top SEC teams. We need to win as many as possible and go bowling to jump start the process.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Goin to be hard to keep Morris out of the OL starting 5. Also if Trey does come back I think he settles in at guard. Seemed to me last year he never reallly got it at tackle, while as a Fr he was a monster at guard

McCullough and Burrell are playmakers that are need to be on the field. The early enroll guys may be huge for this teams improvement. The uptick in competition seems to be really have the older guys motivated. See- Shannon Reid

QB - Guarantano, Shrout
RB - Chandler, Jordan
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
FS - Warrior, McCullough

Any thoughts??
Wright starting, but not Morris who EE'd? JJ, whos been a bust, but no Crouch who had a really good spring game?
I wouldn't be surprised to see To'oto'o in the 2 deep either

QB - Guarantano, Shrout
RB - Chandler, Jordan
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
FS - Warrior, McCullough

Any thoughts??
Is Trey Smith sill a possibility? I also think Crouch factors in at LB. It is now or never for Byrd.

Reactions: LittleVol
Wright starting, but not Morris who EE'd? JJ, whos been a bust, but no Crouch who had a really good spring game?
I wouldn't be surprised to see To'oto'o in the 2 deep either

How many times can we move 2 freshman to the tackle position, move some other guys that didnt do that well in their freshman years at tackle last year to gaurd then rinse and repeat. Our line has been so bad to have so many highly ranked guys come through for years now. Its so frustrating.

How many times can we move 2 freshman to the tackle position, move some other guys that didnt do that well in their freshman years at tackle last year to gaurd then rinse and repeat. Our line has been so bad to have so many highly ranked guys come through for years now. Its so frustrating.
No question that Morris starts. Wright has a chance if he is really as good as advertised. I would rather they get their experience this yeafr rather than next. If they are physically ready, play them. I think we have 4-6 Freshmen who will be starting by November. Maurer will be backup early on and why redshirt if HB signes.

No question that Morris starts. Wright has a chance if he is really as good as advertised. I would rather they get their experience this yeafr rather than next. If they are physically ready, play them. I think we have 4-6 Freshmen who will be starting by November. Maurer will be backup early on and why redshirt if HB signes.
Unless JG is lost to injury or he (maurer) just flat out beats him out for starting job there is no logical reason for him not to redshirt especially with the new rules. Play him in 4 games late and keep options open. Unless you're starting there is no reason not to redshirt as a QB. Especially with the way UT's schedule is annually. Our last 3-4 games are normally our easiest stretch of games this year UAB, Kentucky, Missou and Vandy. If we are not gonna make a bowl then play those last 4 if we have it all wrapped up play some the last 3 plus bowl game and keep redshirt.

IMHO unless 1 Maurer straight wins the starting Job (not likely at all) or 2 Shrout is just plan terrible and JG gets hurt. It makes no sense to waste Maurers redshirt. Smart Move is if JG is healthy Shrout is backup and gets garbage-time snaps in first 8-10 games. Maurer preserves his redshirt unless 100% needed and he can still play in 4 games.

Unless JG is lost to injury or he (maurer) just flat out beats him out for starting job there is no logical reason for him not to redshirt especially with the new rules. Play him in 4 games late and keep options open. Unless you're starting there is no reason not to redshirt as a QB. Especially with the way UT's schedule is annually. Our last 3-4 games are normally our easiest stretch of games this year UAB, Kentucky, Missou and Vandy. If we are not gonna make a bowl then play those last 4 if we have it all wrapped up play some the last 3 plus bowl game and keep redshirt.

IMHO unless 1 Maurer straight wins the starting Job (not likely at all) or 2 Shrout is just plan terrible and JG gets hurt. It makes no sense to waste Maurers redshirt. Smart Move is if JG is healthy Shrout is backup and gets garbage-time snaps in first 8-10 games. Maurer preserves his redshirt unless 100% needed and he can still play in 4 games.
I would like to get Maurer as much experience as possible so that we do not enter 2020 with a QB with experience. From what I have seen , Maurer will be better than Shrout and 2020 will be in much better shap with a QB who has played in some big games and has experience against SEC teams. That would also get Maurer and HB separated by at least one year and might let HB take a redshirt.

I would like to get Maurer as much experience as possible so that we do not enter 2020 with a QB with experience. From what I have seen , Maurer will be better than Shrout and 2020 will be in much better shap with a QB who has played in some big games and has experience against SEC teams. That would also get Maurer and HB separated by at least one year and might let HB take a redshirt.
Unless JG flat out loses his starting job or is injured there is no way either of the other QB's see meaningful snaps. As mentioned above the only time in our schedule it makes sense to get a young QB meaningful snaps is after South Carolina game. Getting them early snaps only takes reps from your starter when they need them most. A second advantage of getting them the snaps late is season is that by then their supporting cast has settled into their positions. I'd much rather be a QB behind this line in November than September.. If I valued my life that is.

The new rules on redshirting have changed the meta of college football. Last year was the first taste. As more coaches get used to the rule and how to use it you'll see a lot more guys get redshirted because now u can play a decent amount of games and not lose that year. It will make benches deeper as say u have 6 guys fighting for 3 spots at RB. Those last 3 guys can all get snaps in 4/12 games and still redshirt so you can always be 4 deep if one pops in and catches fire then yaay. But in most cases they won't. Maurer getting a few garbage snaps at the end of us blowing out some scrub team when they have in their reserves or at the end of us getting blown out by some powerhouse does not have as much value as u may think. In fact it's more apt to negatively affect the player and team. Kid comes in at then end of us getting blown out
45-0 in third quarter then throws for 3td's against second stringers playing prevent. Or worse get their head torn off because they get put in with our second string line against some team we blew out whose starters just wanna hurt someone at that point.

QB - Guarantano, Shrout
RB - Chandler, Jordan
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
FS - Warrior, McCullough

Any thoughts??

That's probably as reasonable a two deep chart as any. I think Niehaus will still be in the mix on OL. Maybe optimistic on Trey Smith, but like your optimism. On the DL, I think Mincey and Korott Garland will get some snaps, especially in a 4-3. JJ Peterson needs a good May and Summer to factor in. It would be good news if Eric Gray and Henry T. are ready to help by Game 1, and not just special teams.

QB - Guarantano, Shrout
RB - Chandler, Jordan
WR - Jennings, Byrd
WR - Palmer, Murphy
TE - Wood-Anderson, Pope
OG - Carvin, Calbert

DE - Solomon, Butler
DT - Gooden, Emerson
FS - Warrior, McCullough

Any thoughts??
I would swap out warrior with Flowers honestly. He hasn’t impressed me one bit at all during his career. McCullough has some Berry in him

VN Store

Back