Tennessee Basketball Press Conference

Gotta admire Barnes’ honesty but man doesn’t feel good to here the only reason he stayed was because of the buyout

This. It’s not really fair to read innuendo into unsaid things, especially from a secondhand source.

Well he also said that he felt like he was going to UCLA, so put 2+2 together and it’s pretty obvious what he meant.

I’m shocked he said it in a press conference.

This. It’s not really fair to read innuendo into unsaid things, especially from a secondhand source.

I dont understand what you mean. This isn't second hand or innuendo or unsaid things. He literally said it. Heres the quote:

"It has to make sense from a financial standpoint. And the bottom line is, we just couldn't work it out, the buyout"

I dont understand what you mean. This isn't second hand or innuendo or unsaid things. He literally said it. Heres the quote:

"It has to make sense from a financial standpoint. And the bottom line is, we just couldn't work it out, the buyout"

Nah man he was just misunderstood.

It’s pretty obvious that if UCLA was willing to pay the full buyout he was gonna leave.

Barnes just confirmed that if UCLA paid the full buyout he would have taken the job. Gotta admire his honesty in his line of work that's rare.

He did try and backtrack later, talking about the community and stuff and how he loved it.

I don’t even know why you would say what he said though. It’s pretty easy to say “UCLA is a great program but I want to continue to build what we have here at Tennessee.” That’s handling the media 101

I just think it's interesting how he says two different things. On one hand he spoke of faith and the next was about money.

"God told me I needed to stay at Tennessee. It's not just basketball. I love this university. I love this community. I love this state. I belong here."

In contrast to later saying that if the buyout figure was right, then he would have went.

I just think it's interesting how he says two different things. On one hand he spoke of faith and the next was about money.

"God told me I needed to stay at Tennessee. It's not just basketball. I love this university. I love this community. I love this state. I belong here."

In contrast to later saying that if the buyout figure was right, then he would have went.

LMAO this dude man. I can’t believe he even said this

Reactions: LucidZ
I am not the biggest Rick Barnes, the head coach, pumper, but I appreciate him owning everything. No doubt he is a high character, honest guy.

You don’t let it be known the main reason you’re back at a school is because a buyout wanted to be paid.

It seemed pretty obvious he wasn’t happy with something at Tennesssee

Barnes just confirmed that if UCLA paid the full buyout he would have taken the job. Gotta admire his honesty in his line of work that's rare.

Sometimes you don’t have to tell everything you know. He really better win now. Already expected it but now more pissed. Just shut your mouth Rickey.

I think CRB did a poor job in communicating his thought process today. Piecing together everything here is what I think he was trying to communicate:

UCLA offers him the job. He then prays and asked God, “is this your will?”
He believes it is what God wanted, but is unsure. He then said, “God, if you want me to go to UCLA, then give me a sign. Let them offer to pay the buyout.”

UCLA does not offer to pay buyout, thus CRB sees it as a sign to stay at Tennessee.

Basicly, IMO he threw out a fleece to determine whether he should stay or go.

Yeah this definitely is not a good look. I cannot believe Barnes said that. It certainly changes my perception of Barnes. You dont come out and publicly admit that you wouldn't be here if UCLA had paid your buyout. Sigh...only here. That was category 5 stupid on his part.

Reactions: UT_King

Okay, but what you typed out isn’t the text that was provided in the tweet Z posted. What you posted paints a different story than the original tweet I responded to.

Yeah this definitely is not a good look. I cannot believe Barnes said that. It certainly changes my perception of Barnes. You dont come out and publicly admit that you wouldn't be here if UCLA had paid your buyout. Sigh...only here. That was category 5 stupid on his part.
Did you hear his answer in full or did you just take the tweets word for it? It was like a 2-3 minute answer and the only thing people are focusing on is the first 2 seconds of his answer. You may feel the same way after hearing it, you may not, but it’s definitely unfair to make a judgement without hearing the answer in it’s full context.

You don’t let it be known the main reason you’re back at a school is because a buyout wanted to be paid.

It seemed pretty obvious he wasn’t happy with something at Tennesssee

Or he really was intrigued by the challenge and honor to coach at a school he held in high regard and he sought clarity in the situation asking that all roadblocks be removed as a clear sign of God’s will for him to take the job. When the roadblock of the buyout couldn’t be negotiated, he took that as a sign that he was where he was supposed to be.

Reactions: Golf freak
Or he really was intrigued by the challenge and honor to coach at a school he held in high regard and he sought clarity in the situation asking that all roadblocks be removed as a clear sign of God’s will for him to take the job. When the roadblock of the buyout couldn’t be negotiated, he took that as a sign that he was where he was supposed to be.

Then don’t say it in a press conference. Keep that **** to yourself.

Then don’t say it in a press conference. Keep that **** to yourself.
I’m talking in response to your, “It seemed pretty obvious he wasn’t happy with something at Tennesssee,” statement. I think it is entirely possible that it had nothing to do with Tennessee. Your statement is pretty definitive that it was, but is based purely in unsubstantiated speculation.

VN Store

Back