Maurer takes over at some point this season

Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

He is way better than J.G. but needs some time to adjust.

Agree....go on record now.

Disagree....go on record now.

We will then find out who is right at the end of the season.

Maurer was poised, but like you pointed out, he had the two interceptions. Just trying to force the ball in a small window. I think overall he could turn out to be a much better decision maker than JG. Is he there now, no, but by the end of his freshman season he could be. Most importantly, he stepped up in the pocket and got rid of the ball. Something that has been lacking for some time now.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
JG will play every important down this season unless he gets injured. Maurer has a lot of potential he needs about 20 pounds on that frame . He is a dual threat looks to have a lot more speed than JG but experience is everything. He needs to be a redshirt if possible think he takes the job two seasons from now.

Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

"he is just way better than jg"

I dont see how you came up with that from limited action in a spring game against the 2s and 3s def. But whatev

Reactions: k-town_king
Strong disagree. If JG can stay healthy (admittedly not assured given the O line play), he’ll have a solid season. Something like 20 TDs and 5 INTs, 2500 yards, 60% completion percentage

Reactions: k-town_king
When JG has a pocket to work with, he's scary accurate.

A lot of the QB success this season will hinge on the OL.

If JG is getting pummeled on every down like last season, then good luck.

There's no doubt, barring some sort of injury, that JG will be the starter at the beginning and end of the season.

Reactions: KBVol
College football especially in the SEC at competitive levels is all about NOT making the big mistake. For example, it's better to throw the ball away than take a sack or turn the ball over on 3rd down and give your offense a chance on the next possession. JG will probably remain on the field as long as he is able to avoid making big mistakes and gives the team a chance to be competitive. Maurer is much to prone to turnovers these days rather than unseating JG who is not IMO. If JG cannot win games and the Vol team week in and week out is not competitive you go with the future as it can't hurt. It just depends what product gets put on the field this year. Lots of folks have indicated both Shrout and Maurer have been recruited over so I'm not sure Maurer is any answer.

I’m guessing the OP also thought Chryst was going to come out and permanantly displace JG last year until he promptly threw 2 pics in one half, the same amount it took JG to throw in 8 games

Reactions: KBVol and Vol49er
Strong disagree. If JG can stay healthy (admittedly not assured given the O line play), he’ll have a solid season. Something like 20 TDs and 5 INTs, 2500 yards, 60% completion percentage

Not good enough. According to some, he must throw for 5600 yards, 62 INTs and run for 1800 yds to be considered an legitimate SEC qb

I'll go on record now to say JG has the job until he gets hurt and cannot do it. You guys talk about loyalty with players but you were the first one to throw someone under the bus. Mauer threw two picks in a spring game and now he's better than our starting QB who threw for touchdowns. Some members on volnation make me worry about the mental stability of the Tennessee fan base.

Not good enough. According to some, he must throw for 5600 yards, 62 INTs and run for 1800 yds to be considered an legitimate SEC qb

small.png

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
I thought Maurer was very underrated by the recruiting services (3-star recruit, but his Senior season was spectacular) and watching him the O&W game convinces me of that even more. That said, he's not better than JG right now.

JG is NEVER throwing that one very bad INT. In a real game, that would be a disaster. That's at least a 7 point swing and potentially a 14 point swing. People get enamored with the gunslinging QB, but statistically, a guy who's solid and doesn't make mistakes is much more valuable.

Maurer has the potential to be very good, but he's still wildly inconsistent and needs to adjust to SEC play. No doubt he's competing for the starting job at some point; but it's not happening this year unless something bad happens to JG. He needs at least a year of development IMO.

Hell NO!!!
He is good. That is for sure. But if you watched games last season, you will realize that Pruitts main man is JG
Pruitt will live & die with JG. Pruitt knows that if Mauer gets meaningful snaps in a game, us fans, will realize that he is good
Pruitt can’t risk putting Mauer in & possibly have grumbling about JG being replaced
If Mauer does play, it will be to do hand offs in a game that has already been decided
Don’t get confused. JG is Pruitt’s main man, until Jan 2021, when JG plays in his last college bowl game
Then we’ll lose to Florida, Georgia, Alabama and others for 2 more years- just depressing.

Foolish! Based on what? I hope Maurer has a great career at UT. But saying he's way better when J.G. when he's played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country last year is just a naive conclusion. On the record!!

So Pruitt isn't a fan of throwing touchdowns?
No... or even of scoring points. He intentionally denied JG the opportunity to make line calls, play adjustments, pre-snap reads, etc last year... apparently all because he hates scoring points.
So the starter who threw 4tds in the spring game will be benched for a freshman who threw 2 really bad ints because he has an "it" factor?

You live in a fantasy land my friend.
He played better in the 2nd half. He still displayed some of the issues that have hurt him and the O.

But you are right. He is UT's best option at the moment and it isn't very close. The other guys at times do the right things... but the execution isn't there.

I fear that JG is going to fail to notice/completely ignore enough 4 on 3 sides this year to eventually take a season ending hit from a LB/S who flies untouched straight into his blind side. He just cannot read a blitz to save his life (pun intended). I'd be shocked if Shrout or Maurer don't have significant snaps at some point.

I hope I'm wrong. JG seems like a great kid who has a heart of a lion and is tough as nails. He just can't seem to adjust to SEC speed and formations.

I swapped out all my records for CDs years ago.
Me too. Now younger people laugh at me for owning CDs instead of mp3 files (we can all laugh at them one day when Apple and Ggogle decide to change the liscensing terms and start deleting content off their devices (see Barnes and Nooble Nook)).

Of course too bad we didnt keep the LPs because now we could sell them to hipsters for more than we initially paid for them. 🤣🤣🤣

(Actually I still have most of my LPs, there just isn't much demand for what I listen to)

VN Store

Back