Maurer takes over at some point this season

A better scenario would be for JG to play well enough that he could come out by the end of the 3rd quarter, and give the backups some actual playing time. If JG is on the field for all 4 quarters against Georgia State, then we are probably in for another rough season.

Maurer is number 3 on the chart and will se time in just enough games to keep his redshirt intact.

As far as the spring game showing Maurer has ability and wherewithal to run the ball...you gotta realize its an entirely different ball game when a QB knows he can't get hit. Huge difference mentally. Not saying he can't or would not run in real life game time...but its a massive difference if you know you won't get hit.

Reactions: KBVol
Based on? He finally posted a respectable stat line in HS his senior year. Now he's about the dominate the SEC

Based on the way he looked sat. Int bad, but that can be fixed, he is just a freshman, I am not saying he should start, but if poor offense is going on give him a chance.

Since our OL and backfield have made exactly zero progress with pass protection, I would rather JG stand back there and act as cannon fodder rather than our more promising QBs. If he is going to hold the ball all day then might as well watch some exciting hits transpire if we’re going to suck again anyway.

Since our OL and backfield have made exactly zero progress with pass protection, I would rather JG stand back there and act as cannon fodder rather than our more promising QBs. If he is going to hold the ball all day then might as well watch some exciting hits transpire if we’re going to suck again anyway.
I know there was a bit of a difference in play calling but on several occasions both Shrout and Maurer reacted well to pressure in their own ways. Shrout sped up. Maurer stepped up in the pocket then on a couple of occasions found a nice lane and picked up some yardage.

JG still reacts poorly too often. He escapes pressure by breaking the pocket and usually to his right. He gives ground and ends up throwing going backwards and off his back foot. If he simply stepped up into the pocket the way Maurer did very nicely on a couple of occasions... he'd become a better QB that helped his OL protect him.

He makes his OL look worse than they are often. FWIW, I thought the 2nd OL vs the 2nd DL was much more of a disadvantage for Maurer and Shrout. JG's protection was by no means horrible. It was solid most of the time.

You think the OL would protect another QB better than JG? Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to throw a young inexperienced QB out there behind that OL.
Yes. JG isn't great at managing the pocket. He often fails to get the ball out quickly. He looked better at the latter as the O&W game went on.

The mistakes both Maurer and Shrout made appeared to be poor execution while doing the "right thing". That's a good sign since execution issues are a matter of repetition.

This is where I start understanding the guys saying some here hate JG. It may not be ALL the OL, but it's enough of the problem you don't make this type of change unless JG gets hurt. IMO.

So I disagree. JG is the starter all year unless he's injured.
I still agree with your conclusion... for now. But he still has some pretty major issues that need to be cleaned up. The theme of the day Saturday seemed to be "quicker decisions" and "get the ball out". Seems the coaches think it is a problem too.

Shrout looked better in the O&W Game than Maurer.

We don't need a QB that chucks picks down field.

Shrout had zero pocket presence. He was inaccurate except for the long ball he completed to Tyler Byrd. He reminds me of Nathan peterman, good arm but no instincts. Maurer looked more comfortable than Shrout to me but he threw 2 picks and I question if he has the arm strength to make all the throws. To make a long story short I really hope Guarantano stays healthy this year!

Hell NO!!!
He is good. That is for sure. But if you watched games last season, you will realize that Pruitts main man is JG
Pruitt will live & die with JG. Pruitt knows that if Mauer gets meaningful snaps in a game, us fans, will realize that he is good
Pruitt can’t risk putting Mauer in & possibly have grumbling about JG being replaced
If Mauer does play, it will be to do hand offs in a game that has already been decided
Don’t get confused. JG is Pruitt’s main man, until Jan 2021, when JG plays in his last college bowl game

JG does the main thing Pruitt values just 3 interceptions although he did fumble 4 times last year. Pruitt probably doesn't like sacks DUH but he don't see to harp on them, rather take a sack play ball control with the D. Try to manage the game ala Bama hopefully we get there soon. So I say JG is starter until he gets injured.

Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

He is way better than J.G. but needs some time to adjust.

Agree....go on record now.

Disagree....go on record now.

We will then find out who is right at the end of the season.

The whole premise is off because you have no idea if Maurer has the “it factor.” You assign the “it factor” to a player after he has accomplished great things on the field in actual games which lead his team to victory, on a consistent basis. You don’t assign the “it factor” to a kid because he looks pretty good in scrimmages and practice games.

JG is the clear starter and it will stay that way unless he is horrible or hurt. And if he’s horrible, it’s likely the entire team is bad, thus Maurer won’t fare much better. But I could see a scenario where Pruitt would want to get Maurer some live-game experience for the future. But that won’t be because Maurer has the “it factor,” it’ll be because of the “let’s develop our future quarterback factor.”

JG does the main thing Pruitt values just 3 interceptions although he did fumble 4 times last year. Pruitt probably doesn't like sacks DUH but he don't see to harp on them, rather take a sack play ball control with the D. Try to manage the game ala Bama hopefully we get there soon. So I say JG is starter until he gets injured.

So Pruitt isn't a fan of throwing touchdowns?

Yes. JG isn't great at managing the pocket. He often fails to get the ball out quickly. He looked better at the latter as the O&W game went on.

First I've heard of this.

I still agree with your conclusion... for now. But he still has some pretty major issues that need to be cleaned up. The theme of the day Saturday seemed to be "quicker decisions" and "get the ball out". Seems the coaches think it is a problem too.

"For now" ..get back to me when you change your mind, see if I did too.

Maybe Chaney and Weinke can clean some of it up with a little more time than just spring practice.

zero chance Maurer play this year. It's JG's year. He's been through some really ****** teams and this is his time to prove himself.

Reactions: k-town_king
Mauer looks like he has more potential than JG as far as pocket presence and getting out of trouble and keeping his eyes downfield. He hasn't quite figured our how to make throws on the run and doesn't know the receivers well enough to know how they will try to get open if he scrambles and the play breaks down, but he makes plays with his legs. Making throws on the run and under pressure is a skill that must be practiced to be perfected. Mauer will be a better QB than JG and that will happen when we need him. There will be picks, but I would take a pick to learn something over a sack to get up with the same lack at the QB position. I think that JG has the tools, but if his attitude during the O&W game is any indication of his progress as a leader and a player, he is not going to show as much growth as I had hoped. There is still time, but I did not like what I saw. Some will remember my earlier posts defending JG, and I still think that he has untapped potential, but IMHO the best course of action would not be the most popular one.

Start JG because he has the experience and the team knows him. But play Mauer early and often. Burn his redshirt and get him some meaningful reps. JG has a very high likelihood of going down if he keeps losing sight of the field and taking sacks in this league. If/When he does go down we will need a freshman who can play. If Mauer is playing a lot, JG will feel the pressure and that might be just enough to stoke his competitive fire and help him out of his comfort zone. If through playing Mauer improves enough, I have no doubt that the best player will play for CJP and Co.

I say, shake things up and take the risk on a young hungry QB with what seems to be the winning attitude that we need at that position leading the offense.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
If Maurer supplants anyone it would most likely be Shrout for the backup spot. He is probably headed for a RS this year. He did show some moxie out there though even with the two INTS.

I watched JG intently both on the field and on the sidelines hoping I would see a new and improved version of him, but here are some things that lead me to believe it’s the same ol’, same ol’.

- His first few series were uneventful, unproductive and ho hum..
- At the end of the day, it’s all about getting the ball in the end zone. Not sure he’ll ever be the guy that can make those crucial plays when needed..
- He still doesn’t get the ball out on time and never will. Just doesn’t have a sense of urgency
- Still a sitting duck.
- Here’s my biggest issue: If you’ve played team sports, you’ll understand this: Yesterday, JG was sitting on the bench and on several occasions, coaches and players came over to talk to him. On each of these occasions, JG aloofly turned his head and stared in a different direction with a “leave me the **** alone” smirk on his face. Prima Donna..
- Just don’t see us beating good teams with him at the helm, and I still don’t think he could start for any other SEC team. However, today....he’s our best chance to win.

Maurer -
- I obviously didn’t like the picks, but do think Maurer has potential and a good upside.
- I liked his energy, enthusiasm, sense of urgency and his quick and accurate release.
- I liked the fact that he can makes things happen. He’s dynamic. I liked that he drove the team down the field on his first possession and scored. Didn’t like that we couldn’t punch it in.
- I like the fact that he senses breakdowns and instead of just taking a sack, he picks up yards with his legs. His scrambling ability brings a new and exciting dimension to our offense.
- Hope he keeps improving..
JG’s game could still use some work, but based off everything we’ve seen and what the coaches have told us all spring. He has been a great leader and a great guy to be around. No reason to call him a prima donna based on a few second of bench footage.

Reactions: k-town_king
"That's a bold prediction Cotton."

Now, I can't remember where I heard it, but it goes something like, "Dude hasn't even played a down of real football and you're already planning on him riding in and saving the day like Peyton." Where did I hear that ? Oh yeah, on the other 3,495,258 other threads like this. My hopes right now are that we make it through summer and fall camp with no arrests or severe injuries. And nothing against young Maurer, (or you), I hope one day we can retire his jersey. But for now. I'm liking the dudes skill would love to see him improve and be ready for that shot if it comes. Go Vols!!

VN Store

Back