Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it’s up to the coach to identify, recruit, and coach up QBs every year. Butch won 1 SEC game without dobbs. it is impossible to give the benefit of the doubt to him IMO. End of the day he was a dog **** coach that got lucky just like chiz

I get that but i don’t like to hold that against a coach and play the well if he didn’t have so and so at QB what would happen? Especially if they are the ones that recruited or drafted said QB. You could play that game all day.

What would Pete Carroll’s nfl career without russel Wilson’s? Belichecks without Brady? Kubiak without Payton, jimbo without jameis,

That’s a lot of history to rewrite.

Jack Nicklaus?? I’m pretty sure there are some stories out there about him, but don’t quote me on that. For some reason it seems I remember reading that somewhere that he wasn’t a golden boy.
I don't remember any stories of sexual indiscretion by Jack Nicklaus, but he was considered by all of his peers at the time to be a grade A douchebag.

Reactions: drvenner
I get that but i don’t like to hold that against a coach and play the well if he didn’t have so and so at QB what would happen? Especially if they are the ones that recruited or drafted said QB. You could play that game all day.

What would Pete Carroll’s nfl career without russel Wilson’s? Belichecks without Brady? Kubiak without Payton, jimbo without jameis,

That’s a lot of history to rewrite.
I’m not trying to rewrite history lol. I’m talking just about Butch. He had 4 QBs other than dobbs. Those 4 combined to win a single sec game. And he had a lot of chances to win more than one SEC game.

Plus Peterman and JG got better being away from butch. Worley was who he was. Dormady could have been ok but butch and co. didn’t maximize his talent...which they didn’t do for anyone really

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Okay so serious non trolling question here....

There was some negative reaction from fans when the last two guys committed, based on their "rankings."

This of course led to a number of guys bashing the guys being negative, and basically suggesting that rankings/stars don't matter.

My question is... if rankings/stars don't matter and every kid we take is good in your opinion because the staff likes them, etc.... why do you even really follow recruiting? Maybe that isn't the right way to ask the question. But the point I'm trying to make is that most of us have careers/families/etc. We're not full time scouts. Neither are you.

As such, generally speaking the first thing probably 99% of any of us look at when we offer a kid, or a kid commits, or visits, etc, is their recruiting profile and their ranking.

Are rankings the end all be all? Of course not. There are exceptions to the rule. But by and large, the best teams in college football are the ones who have the best recruiting classes. And those recruiting classes are based on rankings. Clemson, Alabama, UGA, Oklahoma, OSU, etc....

Now, I get calling out the people who insult or trash a kid based off of .85XX composite. The staff can identify talent and if the kid didn't have some, then the staff wouldn't accept the commitment or likely even offer. But I don't get the snarky holier than though attitude towards those of us who question a commitment. Because if everyone is being honest, even the stars don't matter crowd, if they had their choice of Rakim Jarrett committing yesterday over Calloway, they'd go with Rakim. Or Marshawn Lloyd over Ebony Jackson, they'd choose Lloyd. Et cetera et cetera et cetera....

TLdnr: My birthday was this past Friday. I celebrated the 44th anniversary of my 19th birthday so I am getting really old. Old people seem to talk a lot and never shut up. I've known that my whole life and now that I'm older and getting even older, I'm enjoying being on this side of that situation.

Anyway, as I was saying......

I think what some people may not want to admit is that we may in some cases end up having to take recruits at various positions that are way down the list on our board simply because the guys farther up the board are for whatever reason more attracted to opportunity offered elsewhere. I think I read recently that we’ve offered over 300 recruits in this class. I pull up a list of prospects we’ve offered for a particular position and see top ranked talent dominating the upper portion of each list. I actually think we’re offering more top ranked talent with Pruitt than we ever did with Dooley or Jones. The latter two may have basically thought a lot of that was just a waste of time.

I think it’s hard to recruit almost anywhere unless you’re having a decent measure of success on the field and consistently putting guys into the league. Pruitt & Co. would not be telling highly sought after recruits if they commit we have a shot at having the No. 1 recruiting class if ratings/rankings didn’t matter. In the beginning Pruitt said we’re going to worry about the guys we get not the ones we don’t get. Every coach is going to point to the class rankings when his class is near the top and say the rankings don’t matter when it’s, shall we say, disappointing relative to our competition.

Fulmer said on Saturday that we probably needed a couple more recruiting classes to affect a turnaround in our football program. Nobody wants to hear that. Most people are tired of waiting for next year let alone two more years.

I think there are probably a host of reasons that make it difficult to recruit to Tennessee in the current environment, chief among them is that we haven’t been all that relevant in quite some time. I think we’re doing remarkably well considering our circumstances, or at least we did last year. We actually ended up with 15 blue chips, including the two transfers. We won a handful of battles for highly prized guys.

One of the other things that I think maybe is a challenge for us in recruiting is our lack of stability with coaches. I look around the league and wonder of all the coaches in the SEC which would be the most likely to bolt from their current school for greener pastures. There’s not many but at the top of the list is probably Jeremy Pruitt if he ever has any success here, or at least I think that would be the perception of most outsiders. Mullen ain’t leaving Florida, Smart isn’t going anywhere. Fisher is locked in. Most of the other guys might actually have a hard time even getting an interview elsewhere. Mark Stoops, maybe, but I think he’s got it made at Kentucky. They don’t have the same expectation level that we have and I think that gives him an advantage there.
I think it is noticeable that Pruitt has been presenting himself more in recent weeks as embracing all things Tennessee. I don’t know if it’s going to work but it definitely addresses a vulnerability in my view.

I hate it with a passion unlike any other but I think our rebuild is going to take more time than many of us, especially me, are comfortable with. We need to at least get back to playing to our talent level. In order to do that we need to fill in some holes. I think this staff has already done a lot of that but we’ve got a ways to go. We have to have at least solid players in every position group in order for our talent advantage, where it exists, to show.

Finally, there’s a lot of disappointment right now with some people regarding our program. It didn’t just start this past weekend. It’s been around for more than a decade. We are universally described as a passionate fan base. I have never in my life heard us described as a patient fan base. Patient fan bases do exist in places like Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, etc., but not on Rocky Top. I expect us to win 9 or 10 games this year, or maybe 6. I’ll be much more positive if we win 9 or 10 than if we only eek out 6 or 7, but even 6 or 7 is at least moving in the right direction, maybe.

From a recruiting aspect, if enough of those top rated/ranked guys eventually decide, for whatever reason, to jump on board with us this year, I’m reasonably confident that we’ll make room for them, even at the expense of some of the lower ranked guys who are hoping and praying with all their might that that doesn’t happen. I mean I love those guys and I love their passion for wanting to be at Tennessee but in the end this is a tough, hard-nosed, business.

So far in the recruit threads where we have some people bemoaning the caliber of the player that just committed I’ve tended to stay on the positive side with my comments but make no mistake about it, I honestly only endorse taking recruits that have a composite rating of 0.9500 or higher. For everything else, I’ll keep trying to bite my tongue, which really really hurts.

It was pretty much exactly what I expected, and as usual flawlessly executed...

As far as what happens now, I just know a lot of good characters are gonna die real soon, and I don't think Certs wins, I don't think anybody "wins"... My theory has always been that Westeros is basically going to be a nuclear wasteland with just a few left to pick up the pieces, and the monarchy and feudal system in general will be over forever. I thought that since I got into the books a loooooong time ago.

My theory is there will be a major twist at the end: They're all bots in Westerosworld.

Laughing was for the “Burn it down! It’s 9:00 on Saturday!” goobers. Still laughing at whoever’s breaking out the razor blades on themselves. 😏 I’m disappointed but conditioned
Conditioned = adulting imo
Always ups and downs, everyone wants the #1 class but adults can be disappointed without lashing out.
Bet there's a pattern of those that name call, etc; and with more than just recruits.

Actually, I was just thinking at the beginning of tonight's episode:
I remember back at the beginning of season 1, Daenerys was a sniveling, whiny little shitmess and I didn't see anything attractive or appealing about her at all. Fast forward to tonight and she's riding into town like she owns all dat, having just flexed up all over anyone in her path, and she's just straightup hotter than dammit. Competence and confidence do tend to make a people attractive.

Just a bit more movement. Bran's knowledge we already knew. Too much filler.

It just feels like there's a lot to wrap up in 5 episodes. Starting to feel like there won't be a big war vs cersei. Maybe she is disposed of in a way we haven't expected...or she may win.
There was NO filler in that episode. It was ton of callbacks from season 1. How they marched into Winterfell is compared to how the Lannisters marched there in season 1...etc.

This is first time all the siblings had been together since season 1....You need to relax and enjoy all the lil great easter eggs they are giving us

I don't remember any stories of sexual indiscretion by Jack Nicklaus, but he was considered by all of his peers at the time to be a grade A douchebag.
Maybe that’s what it was. It’s why I said don’t quote me. I just remembered something being talked about that put Jack in different light.

In case anybody gives a crap, mccrackhead ticked me off saying nobody has a right to an opinion that never played on a mini tour like he did. That is annoying as all heck to me. That is all we do here.

And also the bandwagon crap..I started following Tiger Woods when he was still an amateur because everybody I knew was saying he was going to do all time great things. I didn't grow up in a family that golfed, but I watched the Masters the year Jack won his last and fell in love with it. I'm not the most knowledgable golf fan out there, but I do know enough to have an opinion.

Dude was being an arrogant jerk.
What’s your opinion? Clown. You have been talking all night, what’s your opinion? That you like to hit golf balls by the tree over the sand?

I'm guessing the vast majority of us aren't college/pro football players or recruiters so I guess we all need to stfu.
Exactly. Shut the forum down. We’re not allowed to talk football unless we played professionally. Guess we can’t talk recruiting either, because none of us have ever been college football coaches. Dang, this sucks

This is my recruiting board using my criteria of greater than or equal to a composite rating of 0.9500.

ScreenHunter 66.png

Obviously we’re competing with the best teams in all of college football on the recruiting trail for this limited number of recruits but I would still like to get at least 6-8 of these guys this year. Laugh if you will but last year we pulled in 5 of those guys and 7 if you include the 2 transfers. We’re actually doing better than some may think. jmo.

Damn. Didn’t know (obv). Hope he heals up and we use him on more than jet sweeps.

I’m confused on why no one liked Shrouts play? He had no interceptions and one touchdown and showed he had accuracy on the run. He also threw for like 138 yds on about 18 throws. He also had his receivers drop a few balls.

Yet everyone is acting like Maurer did great when he had 2 terrible and I mean terrible interceptions.

Maurer will be good but JT at this point is definitely better.

I’m confused on why no one liked Shrouts play? He had no interceptions and one touchdown and showed he had accuracy on the run. He also threw for like 138 yds on about 18 throws. He also had his receivers drop a few balls.

Yet everyone is acting like Maurer did great when he had 2 terrible and I mean terrible interceptions.

Maurer will be good but JT at this point is definitely better.
Agree, and neither are rometly ready to see the field. Path to playing time is there for a QB as polished as Bailey.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
This is my recruiting board using my criteria of greater than or equal to a composite rating of 0.9500.

View attachment 201982

Obviously we’re competing with the best teams in all of college football on the recruiting trail for this limited number of recruits but I would still like to get at least 6-8 of these guys this year. Laugh if you will but last year we pulled in 5 of those guys and 7 if you include the 2 transfers. We’re actually doing better than some may think. jmo.
Put this up again after the national signing days are over and see what we accomplished. Could be interesting and an easier way quantify our class against all competition.

Reactions: JacketVol
What is wrong with some emotion? They are competitors not preachers. If you let a fist pump intimidate you then you should play chess. Everybody gets on Koepka about being a robot but that guy is a big tournament golfer. Thing that really surprised me was Woods shaking hands with Poulter when he was the one that ratted Woods out with his family’s nanny.

EDITED for doofusness.

Agree on the fist pumping. I like the emotion as long as it does not become offensive. Even Koepka fist pumped after making a critical putt.

Last edited:
No not conceding losses but you’re never going to be a clear cut step ahead of UF, UGA, Bama, LSU etc when they have a decent. and vice versa for them if we have the right coach in place. So those games are basically always 50/50.

Out of conference (except when we play like OU), Vanderbilt and Kentucky should always be looked at and expected to be wins like 98% of the time.

Missouri and South Carolina should usually be wins. They have the recourses to occasionally field a really good team tho. So basically 80% of the time wins.
We should be competing for the east every year and winning it every three or four years. I'm not unrealistic about consistently beating bama every year but we should be competitive with them most years. I see bama slipping ever so slightly over the next few years. I think Saban gets tired of replacing the majority of his staff every year. I also think Jimbo will be a thorn for him. I think beating Candy, KY, Missouri, SC, splitting between GA and FL should be the norm. That gives you six wins right there. If you can't win 4 of the rest between non-conference and the West, you're probably not a consistenttop 10 team. We should at least strive to consistently be a top 10 team.

Reactions: Rishvol

Jack didn't take anything from the good ole boys club who supported Arnie as the lead dog in the pack. He was hated by many for upsetting the apple cart just like Greg Norman was with the World Golf Series push during his time. There has never been the first hint of indiscretion in the Nicklaus marriage. That marriage has been a model many should emulate. Ask any tour player or PGA employee from any era.

With the RC Rankings, lets not forget that a lot of these journalists will rank players higher because they commit to certain schools, get certain offers, etc. For example, if a no name commits to Alabama, gets an offer from Alabama, or Alabama is pushing for them - they will get a rankings bump purely because these journalists trust Saban's evaluations.

Not saying these guys don't watch film and have their own opinions - but Alabama is going to have a top 5 recruiting class in rankings because they're Alabama - ESP true early in the recruiting season.

Reactions: MwB and SweetasSoda
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back