The Tiger Woods saga

Not sure I would use the word “choke” with all the water balls (Norman was a choker). But, they each hit uncharacteristicly poor shots at inopportune times. Tiger played well when he needed to and survived when others failed.

He earned this victory.......but hope he never reaches 18! 😃
Would you consider poor judgement under the pressure to be a mental choke? What possessed Molinari to hit at the flag on 12? It looked like an attempt at a straight shot unless he pushed it. And, since I didn't see the layup on 15, was it a pull or just hit too far?

Do you think that Koepka's water ball on 12 was an overcut fade that ballooned in the wind, or a poor decision to go for the flag? How about Finau's shot?

Last edited:
I think that's right. He's just a guarded, private, almost awkward person by nature.
Did you read that Wright Thompson story in ESPN about him a couple years ago? He has a personality that is very ill-equipped to be an international superstar. Even back when he was a kid and at Stanford, he was a really shy and nerdy guy, and I thought in his prime he just seemed like an a**hole. I was a teenager when he was in his prime and he was the guy everyone my age liked, but I couldn't stand him. When he was winning seemingly every other major, I always hoped he'd choke and someone else would win.

A huge part of the reason I wanted him to win last week was that he does seem like a different person, to an extent. He laughs at himself, doesn't do the theatrics he used to on the golf course, and overall seems like a more mature, reasonable person. Of course, he's 43 years old now. He should be.

Did you read that Wright Thompson story in ESPN about him a couple years ago? He has a personality that is very ill-equipped to be an international superstar. Even back when he was a kid and at Stanford, he was a really shy and nerdy guy, and I thought in his prime he just seemed like an a**hole. I was a teenager when he was in his prime and he was the guy everyone my age liked, but I couldn't stand him. When he was winning seemingly every other major, I always hoped he'd choke and someone else would win.

A huge part of the reason I wanted him to win last week was that he does seem like a different person, to an extent. He laughs at himself, doesn't do the theatrics he used to on the golf course, and overall seems like a more mature, reasonable person. Of course, he's 43 years old now. He should be.

Agreed. I think his experience over the last ten years has probably humbled him greatly too.

I really wonder if there wasn't something going on with the wind at 12 that they just couldn't feel at the tee. None of them really seemed to fan it short right where the typical miss is when it goes in the water. They were on line and a full club short.

Listen to the Matty and the Caddie podcast from Tuesday.

They had Lacava on and he said they were shocked to see that at 12 too. But also that group in front of him dunking their balls helped to reinforce Tigers plan. He got watch a lot.

VN Store

Back