Will Friend on the offensive line

Titans Fan

Friend breaks down the offensive line, not by specific players, but says it's in a better place now then last year and they never were able to get a starting five set in stone early last year.

“We didn’t really get to practice with a lot of them until the first game and then there were changes throughout the deal because of injuries. Nothing was ever set it stone. That’s one of the things that’s got to be important for us, that we got to do early and they got to realize the next six weeks leading up until they come back for summer workouts and things they got to do on their own are important because we need to find out who the best five are early."

Spring practices: Will Friend assesses Vols' offensive line

Let’s put it this way...

He O-Line CAN’T be any worse than they have been.

Reactions: KBVol
They should be a lot better. There’s no doubt these kids are in better shape than last spring.

Of course a lot better would be just simply not whiffing on blocks and being nearly last in the nation in TFL’s allowed.
Nearly? We led the nation by a country mile in rushing plays with yards lost.....on fully 33% of all our rushing plays our running backs lost yardage....that’s almost inconceivable.

They should be a lot better. There’s no doubt these kids are in better shape than last spring.

Of course a lot better would be just simply not whiffing on blocks and being nearly last in the nation in TFL’s allowed.

yes that would be an improvement ,

Looks a lot like Wanya Morris has a starting gig at LT.

BTW, did Richmond ever transfer? I don't remember if he picked a location out yet.

Don't overlook a key statement made by Friend. "...they got to realize the next six weeks leading up until they come back for summer workouts and things they got to do on their own are important..." The players must individually be committed to retaining and continuing their preparedness. Thus come back to training ready to go without having to backtrack and require reconditioning and retraining.

Reactions: tbh
On vacation? Sorry, I just am over the dude due to his lack of effort given while here.
I feel safe in saying that Morris would be an instant improvement. He was terrible last year. Pretty much pouted when he had to play left tackle, which indicates he wasn’t team first and wasn’t buying in.
Bye

We have been saying oh the OL should be better for years now. It just hasnt happened. The best OL we have wont be playing. And the Botch hold overs will likely suck yet again. I expect the OL to be just a smidge better than last year. Which will put them right at God awful.

Reactions: 08Vol and KBVol
Gonna be another rough season if they can't solidify this group.
Agree. And from what we saw of Friend’s ability to get an OL together and improving throughout the season last year, which was not remotely at all, I’m beyond concerned this year.

Reactions: 08Vol
We have been saying oh the OL should be better for years now. It just hasnt happened. The best OL we have wont be playing. And the Botch hold overs will likely suck yet again. I expect the OL to be just a smidge better than last year. Which will put them right at God awful.
Since I joined! Well except for 2012. But then Doolander had to bust that all up

Oh most definitely. If JG had a competent line I am sure he would be amazeballs and would have slung more than 12 TD's in 12 games!

Just kidding.. he'd still be terrible.
Calls at the line are probably one of the most important things for a QB. If the defense is stacked or aligned in a way that reveals something and the WB doesn’t check out of or into something, then the Oline may be starting with one foot in the ditch.

VN Store

Back