WNBA Draft 2019

Best Drafts:

Liberty: Asia Durr, Huff, and the tall girl from China – Durr is best player in draft

Sky: Samuelson, Jackson and Conde – their top two picks should make the roster

Wings: Ogunbowale, Gustafson and Bertsch – Gustafson will be a good bench player

Mercury: Smith, Turner, Cunningham, Carter – Four good players – two might make the roster

Storm: Magbegor, Howard, Miller – Nice take for drafting last

Worst Drafts:

Fever: McCowan, Key – Not a lot of immediate help

Sun: Anigwe, Carleton, McGarity – Not much help, could have done better

Dream: Cazorla, Yueru – Tough drafting 11th, got the big they wanted in trade, Cazorla could surprise

Notes

All you have to say to demonstrate the difference between college and pro play is note that the player (Gustafson) that many (AP, ESPN, Naismith) picked as the best college player in the nation got drafted 17th.

I don't recall any previous Naismith, AP or ESPN Player of the Year dropping to the second round.

Maci Morris with the last pick of the 3rd round to Seattle. The WNBA hotness quotient just skyrocketed...at least until she gets waived.

Training camp is going to be brutal. There are a lot of really good rookies knocking on the door, plus last year's graduates looking for a second shot at the league.

It was Macy Miller (SDSU), not Maci Morris, though I'd expect Morris to get a training camp invite somewhere.

I wonder if Kalani will be worked into a trade for Cambage?

That was my thought when they drafted her. No secret where Cambage wants to be. She's like the Lebron of the women's game with her location demands. First it was Tulsa she didn't like, then Dallas, now she wants to be in LA, nothing to do with basketball, just her personal preference.

She is an incredible player though, so I'll bet she ends up in LA and Kalani ends up in Dallas. Kalani might be OK with that since it will be closer to home, much closer to Slidell than LA.

That was my thought when they drafted her. No secret where Cambage wants to be. She's like the Lebron of the women's game with her location demands. First it was Tulsa she didn't like, then Dallas, now she wants to be in LA, nothing to do with basketball, just her personal preference.

She is an incredible player though, so I'll bet she ends up in LA and Kalani ends up in Dallas. Kalani might be OK with that since it will be closer to home, much closer to Slidell than LA.

Who does she relegate to the bench? Nneka or Candace? They tried Nneka at the three and it wasn’t exactly successful (although she can hit the outside jumper some) seems like she would clog the lane more than help.

Who does she relegate to the bench? Nneka or Candace? They tried Nneka at the three and it wasn’t exactly successful (although she can hit the outside jumper some) seems like she would clog the lane more than help.
These are exactly my thoughts. Playing the three of them together wouldn’t work. Plus she’s a major headcase and is only under contract for one season. 2020 is an Olympic year, so she’s not showing up then, and who knows if she ever will again? Trading for her would be a terrible idea.

That’s a tough one, I imagine if they decide they really want Cambage, Nneka could be on the move. As another poster pointed out it won’t be a good long term decision to go after Cambage. She’s definitely a head case, but when she’s playing well she’s the best player in the world.

I could actually see Candace playing the 3 more than Nneka. Candace has superior passing ability and a nice jumper.

Last edited:
Is not having at least one Lady Vol graduating senior drafted another sad first?

VN Store

Back