Kellie Harper's Intro Presser

Reporter asked Kelly had she talked to Holly?

Kelly said we've been playing phone tag. šŸ˜‚

Holly is MIA. Y'all Holly fans should do a well being check. For real, tho. šŸ¤”

Iā€™ll be honest, I was disappointed with the hire when it was announced. I wanted Niele Ivey. However, after the presser, I am all in. KJH completely sold me. Hereā€™s to the Lady Vols returning to prominence!!!

Just a thought. "all in" seems to be the trend by posters, even though several voiced having had reservations about the hiring. Well, if "Coach K" can convey this same "all in" to the to the whole squad of players, then things will be much easier and quicker getting back to the top level we feel our program deserves.

I was overall impressed with Kellie, although there was a strange moment when she was asked about the status of the Aussie recruit. She asked someone off camera if she could reply, and she said she wasn't allowed to answer that.

I think we will all look back at this hire as the point at which this program got back on track. I know that she was dismissed at NC State, but that was a different and difficult situation that she inherited. I graduated from Missouri State (back when it was SW Missouri State) and it was a stellar women's basketball program. They would sell out the arena for the Lady Bears games. Their basketball games were a big deal in Springfield, MO and had a big fan following. It had fallen off the rails since Cheryl Burnett stepped down. I was very impressed how Kellie came in, embraced the program, and brought it back to respectability in the MVC. She brought on Jackie Stiles (a legend at Missouri State) as an assistant, which gave her instant favor with the fan base and really did a solid job with recruiting talent and winning games. She has left the program in much better shape for the future than she found it. NC State is in the past and I believe that motivates her even more. Her success at Missouri State in restoring the program is (IN MY OPINION) is what stands out and gives me confidence that she is going to get the Lady Vols back to the top. Plus, I think she did great in the press conference too.

I have noticed over the years that almost to the player/announcer of pro golf, they have said that losing and how much is learned from it are a big step in learning how to win at the game of golf. I feel that holds true in nearly every walk of life. How many times have you heard a wealthy person talk of the "trials and tribulations" and failures they experienced on the way to their ultimate success? For me losing is a part of learning how to win.

I was overall impressed with Kellie, although there was a strange moment when she was asked about the status of the Aussie recruit. She asked someone off camera if she could reply, and she said she wasn't allowed to answer that.

What is strange? What is wrong with a person asking a question about something they are not sure of. There is no sin in saying I don't know, but I will find out. The sin comes with not finding out before answering.

Reporter asked Kelly had she talked to Holly?

Kelly said we've been playing phone tag. šŸ˜‚

Holly is MIA. Y'all Holly fans should do a well being check. For real, tho. šŸ¤”

Your comment is not necessary or funny. Harper said verbatim she loved and respected Holly - that she played for Holly. Didnā€™t sound like to me she would appreciate the hateful comments about her former coach. She also said in another interview that she hoped in time Holly would feel comfortable coming back around.

I hate to tell some of you, but Holly is a human being and she is and will be loved and treated with respect by the Lady Vol family as she should be. I really liked Harper from her interview. She seems like a decent human being unlike some on this forum.

Originally, I thought that was weird as well. Then I realized she was racking her brain searching through the Byzantine masses of NCAA regulations related to recruiting. As the recruit has not officially signed with UT, I believe it would be a violation to publicly speak about said recruit. Hence, her "I'm unable to answer that" response. She turned to look at someone else, as if to seek confirmation of her thought process, then answered. Even if she happened to be wrong, it was the safe answer, because the consequences of discussing a recruit when you aren't supposed to are simply too great. Committing an NCAA violation at your first press conference would not be a good look.

Originally, I thought that was weird as well. Then I realized she was racking her brain searching through the Byzantine masses of NCAA regulations related to recruiting. As the recruit has not officially signed with UT, I believe it would be a violation to publicly speak about said recruit. Hence, her "I'm unable to answer that" response. She turned to look at someone else, as if to seek confirmation of her thought process, then answered. Even if she happened to be wrong, it was the safe answer, because the consequences of discussing a recruit when you aren't supposed to are simply too great. Committing an NCAA violation at your first press conference would not be a good look.
Yeah, the media person put her in a bad spot by asking her a question about a non-signed recruit. The media person should have known better.

Last edited:
Your comment is not necessary or funny. Harper said verbatim she loved and respected Holly - that she played for Holly. Didnā€™t sound like to me she would appreciate the hateful comments about her former coach. She also said in another interview that she hoped in time Holly would feel comfortable coming back around.

I hate to tell some of you, but Holly is a human being and she is and will be loved and treated with respect by the Lady Vol family as she should be. I really liked Harper from her interview. She seems like a decent human being unlike some on this forum.

I wish I could give this post more than one like!

GBO!
:cool:

We shall have to have a talk.šŸ¤­

What is strange? What is wrong with a person asking a question about something they are not sure of. There is no sin in saying I don't know, but I will find out. The sin comes with not finding out before answering.
It's strange because the player had committed to Tennessee, but now the status is unknown and she could not discuss it, but Aerie Vol explained it and it makes sense now.

It would have been an NCAA violation to talk about a recruit that has not signed. She can discuss the other three because paperwork is finished.

It was actually very astute of her to know the rules without having to look them up.

That makes more sense. Thanks!

Reactions: SmokinBob
Sorry.... just didnā€™t find it funny somone was actually laughing at someoneā€™s pain and saying they ā€œneeded to be checked on,ā€ implying said person... well you know what that implies. People are sick.
Youā€™re goodšŸ˜. I wish some people would think before they post. A little empathy is a good trait. Some of our posters are good people, but on some topics their mouths (posts) run away with their characters. It is ridiculous to not be more cognizant of your actions, whether in person, at a distance, or behind the keyboard.

And just wondering, how many times does a question have to be answered? I guess these threads get so long (and so much repetition) that itā€™s easier to ask. Still, I feel sorry for @DeerPark12, @mtsuraider06, @mandyleanne, et al. Hope they know they are appreciated by the large majority on here.

And to someone Iā€™ve always considered a friend and a LV supporter, when you stick your foot in your mouth, either admit it or shut up; donā€™t keep fighting a losing battle with skewed datašŸ˜–.

It would be a great tribute to her if she were to reach out to Mimi and Zaay if they appeared to be considering leaving out of loyalty to Holly and Holly appreciated the sentiment but convinced them to stay for the good of the program.

That might soften some of the negative feelings toward Holly. Hopefully, she'll assist Kellie in any way she can behind the scenes and be a positive influence.

It would be a great tribute to her if she were to reach out to Mimi and Zaay if they appeared to be considering leaving out of loyalty to Holly and Holly appreciated the sentiment but convinced them to stay for the good of the program.

That might soften some of the negative feelings toward Holly. Hopefully, she'll assist Kellie in any way she can behind the scenes and be a positive influence.
That would be great but I just can't see Holly doing that. She may be every bit as bitter as Johnny Majors was after he was let go.

I can understand that Kellie's focus is 100% on our program now and that she wouldn't want to interfere with the MO State coaching search, but a one-line shout-out and thanks to the Lady Bears wouldn't have been out of order IMO. They gave her a shot aftet NC State firing, and her Little Team That Could put her into consideration for this job.

Reactions: LadyBearalum

VN Store

Back