JGs arm strength.

It’s fair calling out the OL they were bad all year. JG puts up the best numbers in years and all of a sudden he’s “not the guy”. I don’t know the names but be honest there are plenty of posters that hate on him.
It is fair calling out the OL but not fair calling out a QB who didn't read D's well and held the ball too long? If by "years" you mean the two since Dobbs left... I guess you might be right. And Dobbs made the line calls and improved on reading D's and decision making well before his 4th year in the program.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It was the same thing last year if we were throwing anything deeper than the safeties.
Agreed. In 2017 though, after a few games it seemed like our coaches thought that was the only play that would work. I remember we would get to third down and just throw it like 10-15 yards up high and cross our fingers lol.

Watching our offense that year was so sad

Reactions: KBVol
It is fair calling out the OL but not fair calling out a QB who didn't read D's well and held the ball too long? If by "years" you mean the two since Dobbs left... I guess you might be right. And Dobbs made the line calls and improved on reading D's and decision making well before his 4th year in the program.
Not disputing your knowledge of Dobbs line calls but how do you know he made them? Dobbs was a receiver/rb/qb that was a true duel threat. It made him what he was. He was a special talent because of his running ability not because of his line calls or arm. The o-line was bad then as well but we had elite runners that defenses had to account for. He was one of them. No team feared his arm or our wr’s. It’s just not a fair comparison. A QB can only do so much when constantly being pressured and has no run game. They become one dimensional and any good d-coordinator will capitalize on that.

Reactions: KBVol

Dobbs made a lot out of nothing.
Running for his life time and again
If it weren’t for the gimmick he too would have not made it to the end of a season.

Not disputing your knowledge of Dobbs line calls but how do you know he made them?
I don't guess I "know" in the sense of having heard him myself... I just remember them talking about it then watching him run to the line (sometimes more than once on a single play) to call out the line calls.

Dobbs was a receiver/rb/qb that was a true duel threat. It made him what he was. He was a special talent because of his running ability not because of his line calls or arm.
Dobbs was one of the smartest football players to ever play at UT. You underestimate him. I often criticized him for not being "accurate in the strike zone"... but he was a VERY intelligent football player.

The o-line was bad then as well but we had elite runners that defenses had to account for. He was one of them.
He was a great runner. That did in fact make up for some OL deficiencies. [quote[ No team feared his arm or our wr’s. It’s just not a fair comparison.[/quote] As a Sr, Dobbs was 4th in passing yards, 1st in QBR, 2nd in completion %, 1st in TD passes... That makes it a reasonably fair comparison. Malone was 5th in the SEC in receiving and was drafted as a Jr.

A QB can only do so much when constantly being pressured and has no run game. They become one dimensional and any good d-coordinator will capitalize on that.
A- part of the pressure is because of his weaknesses... B- he wasn't "constantly being pressured". The OL wasn't good but that's a gross exaggeration.

I don't think he by any stretch is an elite QB , and he has to bring a lot more to table to win in SEC . He says all the right stuff , and talks good game about how the new OC
he has freedom check out of play , and it sounds good , BUT YOU HAVE TO SHOW SOMETHING ON SATURDAYS I'm still waiting to see that and hope it happens this
season...………………...GO VOLS

I agree. Got to show up on Saturdays. The question was about arm strength and I don’t think that’s his problem. It’s between the ears and I believe the lack of an offensive line is a big part of that.

Arm strength isnt his problem, its more a timing and pocket awareness issue. JG can't take hit after hit like he did last year either. He needs to learn to utilize his legs more when the pocket collapses, then slide for the safe positive yardage. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts this year and if he has more confidence as a runner. The line will be noticeably better especially if our guys remain healthy so no reason to think he won't improve with them.

Sorry! Did I miss your replies where you got called out for 100 percent making **** up and accusing me of saying things I didnt say? Figures you wouldnt reply after being blatantly called out. I guess you just cant have an honest conversation.

Sorry! Did I miss your replies where you got called out for 100 percent making **** up and accusing me of saying things I didnt say?
Don't know.... and am not 100% sure what you're even talking about since this response was to someone else.

Figures you wouldnt reply after being blatantly called out. I guess you just cant have an honest conversation.
If I missed something you think I should have responded to... my apologies. Would you mind pointing it out to me since it seems to have upset you so much?

FTR, yes. I can have an honest conversation. I can be honest about what I believe to be JG's significant strengths and potential in pretty specific terms... and what I think his weaknesses have been in equally specific terms. I don't tend to harp on the OL since there are plenty here that give them their portion of the blame and then some... but when I have commented on them I've tried to be "fair" and at least somewhat specific.

Now... can you have an honest conversation? If you think JG bears part of the blame then what specific weaknesses do you think he has had? If you don't think he has any significant weaknesses and was just surrounded by OL's, WR's, coaches, and RB's that sucked loudly... then maybe you could just let k-town do your talking for you?

JG threw 82% of the passes that we threw as a team last year (JG 246 attempts, Chryst 51 attempts)
JG accounted for 96% of the sacks as a QB last year (JG was sacked 22 times, Chryst was sacked 1 time)

Lots of reasons for that, some of which are not JG's fault. But he certainly appears to have some of the blame to me.
JG wasn’t perfect by any means, still has some things to clean up, no doubt. He needs to continue to progress from 2018 to 2019 like he did from 2017 to 2018.

That said, anyone watching JG and Chryst play last year quickly saw that JG would stand in the pocket trying to let the play develop/the WR get open, sometimes to a fault. As opposed to Chryst who would look at his first option and run for his life to throw the ball away if it wasn’t open. He completely gave up on plays quickly in an effort to avoid getting hit and throwing this ball away....and that partially explains his exceedingly low completion % of 45.1% compared to JG’s 62.2%

Also, the stats you gave could be misleading (not blaming you or saying you’re trying to skew anything). It’s highly doubtful that the staff gave Chryst the same plays, the full playbook when he came into replace the starting QB, especially since Chryst didn’t have the arm/physical ability to make the same throws that JG does.

Finally, I’ll never forget all the QB experts on here singing Chryst’s praises after the Alabama game saying “see, see, that’s what happens when a QB who gets rid of the ball plays....” and then a media member did the math and timed how quickly both JG and Chryst held the ball vs Alabama, and found that JG held it, on average, 2.2 seconds while Chryst held it 2.1 seconds. So, a whole one-tenth of a second....or better put, absolutely no difference.

Last edited:
Did you watch the film I posted? When the receivers were over the top of the db’s he threw the ball over the top. When they were not he threw the ball out and behind where only the receiver could catch it. Did you see any of the passes in the middle of the field?
The o-line rarely gave him time to get the ball downfield so he took what was open. I am not sure you give him enough or any credit to recognizing what would be open given what the defense showed. His completion percentage shows he was able to get the ball out to an open receiver despite the poor blocking. He deserve credit for that. He also deserves credit for holding the ball too long and taking stupid untimely sacks. But to say he cant make reads, is an opinion based off no real facts. The o-line does not get the credit for being 6th in sacks allowed. They were terrible and the running game reflects that also.
BTW- Who did you say you were related to on the o-line? I hope he improves this year.
The OL issues obviously messed with his head and screwed up his timing at times. He has been inconsistent, and Chaney should rebuild his confidence in himself and the players around him.

Don't know.... and am not 100% sure what you're even talking about since this response was to someone else.

If I missed something you think I should have responded to... my apologies. Would you mind pointing it out to me since it seems to have upset you so much?

FTR, yes. I can have an honest conversation. I can be honest about what I believe to be JG's significant strengths and potential in pretty specific terms... and what I think his weaknesses have been in equally specific terms. I don't tend to harp on the OL since there are plenty here that give them their portion of the blame and then some... but when I have commented on them I've tried to be "fair" and at least somewhat specific.

Now... can you have an honest conversation? If you think JG bears part of the blame then what specific weaknesses do you think he has had? If you don't think he has any significant weaknesses and was just surrounded by OL's, WR's, coaches, and RB's that sucked loudly... then maybe you could just let k-town do your talking for you?
Lol I'm just giving you ****, dude. No worries.

The OL issues obviously messed with his head and screwed up his timing at times. He has been inconsistent, and Chaney should rebuild his confidence in himself and the players around him.
JG obviously messed with the heads and screwed up the OL's at times. They were inconsistent. Chaney will rebuild their confidence in him by making him a good manager of the game.

This isn't a one way street where JG was the victim of everyone else. His deficiencies contributed to his problems as well as those of others on the team.

JG obviously messed with the heads and screwed up the OL's at times. They were inconsistent. Chaney will rebuild their confidence in him by making him a good manager of the game.

This isn't a one way street where JG was the victim of everyone else. His deficiencies contributed to his problems as well as those of others on the team.
You missed my point again. That doesn't excuse what JG does wrong. It's a two way street.

You missed my point again. That doesn't excuse what JG does wrong. It's a two way street.
I think it's a little of both. Need OL to improve to give JG a chance. And, JG's got to get better/faster with pre-snap reads. One can only hope that by virtue of him being a fourth year junior, and under Chaney, will finally start to put it all together. Listening to Pruitt is interesting. On one hand, previously, he's been real complimentary of him and his elevated leadership and progression, but he also came out the other day and said he had his worst day of practice...just wonder if that's really true, or if, since he's the obvious starter, if he's making public comments to continue to press him for higher level development. We have a veteran WR group, and if OL and JG can both improve, we've got a chance of being pretty decent on offense.

Winke knows...
“This guy is a natural passer. He’s got a loose arm, can make all the throws, can change the trajectory and the speed of it. He’s a heck of a passer,” Weinke said. “The one thing I’ll continue to focus on is pocket presence and playing with a sense of urgency with your feet. It all starts with your feet, and that will translate into the delivery of the football.”

We all know this.... if JG cannot improve in this area, he will repeat last year's effort and likely won't last the season... far too many licks on him will take its toll.

I remember reading somewhere that the WRs were complaining that he throws it too hard. Looks like to me his arm strength is good. Not elite but enough to make just about any throw.

I definitely agree with your last sentence, also I think JG needs to grasp when to put some touch on the ball cause he does throw it way to hard on some of the short/intermediate routes.

VN Store

Back