Vacationing in St Lucia

wmcovol

One of the hotel employees asked me “where you from?

I told them “Tennessee”

His response wasn’t “country music” despite the fact country music is very popular here.

His response was “Big Orange”. God Bless you, Ray Mears.

Sweet! My wife and I took our honeymoon at Sandals Regency La Toc in St. Lucia. We made dinner reservations one night at the on-site hibachi restaurant, and when they messed up our reservation time, they ended up sitting us in a room with another couple our age (we were around 27/28 at the time). Got to talking with them, and not only were they from Tennessee, but the husband ended up renting a house three houses down from where I grew up. Such a small world!! And yes, he is a Tennessee fan as well. That night was great, and we still keep in touch 10 years later.

I’m at Sandals Grande St Lucian. I’d recommend it to anyone. One of our best vacations in years.
Spent time there too. That’s what’s cool about that resort, there’s three on the island and you can do anything at any of them with a complimentary shuttle between them

Reactions: RollerVol
My wife and I celebrated 25 years on April 2nd. No fun trip stories, but, she grew up a Georgia fan and now she's pure Tennessee. So, there.
My wife grew up a UGA fan, her entire family went to UGA, but she went to Mercer (so she’s even a conference rival with me at UTC). How did you manage to convert her?1554979983455.gif

Sweet! My wife and I took our honeymoon at Sandals Regency La Toc in St. Lucia. We made dinner reservations one night at the on-site hibachi restaurant, and when they messed up our reservation time, they ended up sitting us in a room with another couple our age (we were around 27/28 at the time). Got to talking with them, and not only were they from Tennessee, but the husband ended up renting a house three houses down from where I grew up. Such a small world!! And yes, he is a Tennessee fan as well. That night was great, and we still keep in touch 10 years later.

I was lucky enough to go to my sisters wedding at a sandals resort in St.lucia as well, the one we were st was about 5 minutes past where the cruise ships docked u0. It was the Best trip of my life hands down. That drive from the airport to the resort was mighty sketchy though, lol. My ticket got bumped up at the last minute too so I got to fly first class from Nashville to St Lucia and back. As an 18 year old then you can imagine how big of a boss I felt like in first class as an 18 year old, lmao. I bet I got the stank eye 40 times on that flight from older people!!! Hahaha

I was lucky enough to go to my sisters wedding at a sandals resort in St.lucia as well, the one we were st was about 5 minutes past where the cruise ships docked u0. It was the Best trip of my life hands down. That drive from the airport to the resort was mighty sketchy though, lol. My ticket got bumped up at the last minute too so I got to fly first class from Nashville to St Lucia and back. As an 18 year old then you can imagine how big of a boss I felt like in first class as an 18 year old, lmao. I bet I got the stank eye 40 times on that flight from older people!!! Hahaha

sounds like a cool trip...people are weird...I just overlook them...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
Really enjoyed St. Lucia, but Green Turtle Cay is our "go to" island now. In keeping with being a UT board, on our last trip we rented a beautiful house named Tennessee Turquoise from a Knoxville couple. Lots of orange, and there was no doubt you were in a UT fans house. If you enjoy the islands, I can't recommend Green Turtle enough. It's a totally different experience when compared to resorts.

Yeah that island is so mountainous and winding, it’s scary as hell riding with them lol

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider
I’m at Sandals Grande St Lucian. I’d recommend it to anyone. One of our best vacations in years.

If you are still there now, I really recommend taking an excursion through one of the locals that sell trips on the beach. Don't do the one that's through the resort! The people on the beach offer a more personal trip where you can do everything you want on one trip, and for half the price the resort would charge you. Make sure you go cliff jumping (if you are into that) where they filmed the first Pirates of the Caribbean. Awesome place man.

My wife and i celebrated our 10th in Pigeon Forge at the Grand Hotel. Think it's shutdown now. Either way...lots of Tennessee fans there as well. Unfortunately we're not married anymore. Oh well.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
If you are still there now, I really recommend taking an excursion through one of the locals that sell trips on the beach. Don't do the one that's through the resort! The people on the beach offer a more personal trip where you can do everything you want on one trip, and for half the price the resort would charge you. Make sure you go cliff jumping (if you are into that) where they filmed the first Pirates of the Caribbean. Awesome place man.
We did this with “Joe Knows Tours”. Lol he was great, had a cooler full of beer and rum punch on the bus for us, took us to a local restaurant buffet with local cuisine, the sulphur springs, and the rum distillery. It was at the rum distillery that I became worthless for the rest of the day 🍻

If you go to St Lucia stay on the southern side at the Anse Chastanet resort. They have open air rooms, lots of dining on resort and the beach opens up into a massive reef.

Reactions: BoroVolFan
the wife and i did Marigot Bay in St. Lucia for our honeymoon...great trip. loved it, would like to go back to one of the Sandals resorts one day. did Sandals Whitesands, or is it whitecastle, can't remember..... a couple years ago in Jamaica. it was very good too...loved that trip.

the only TN relatable thing i've got is while in St. Lucia, we played FL. much to my chagrin, i couldn't see the game.....but i got over it.

well it was 2004. so i had no idea what happened. later in the week a new vacationer arrived, and he saw my T on my hat and said "did you see that game!?" and i said no.....he politely asked if i wanted to know, and i reluctantly said sure...........and he proceed to tell me the whole deal and how it ended with the game winner etc....

i was elated, and pissed i didn't get to see it.

little did i know it'd be 12 years before i'd have the chance to see us beat FL again. i blamed my wife.....

My wife grew up a UGA fan, her entire family went to UGA, but she went to Mercer (so she’s even a conference rival with me at UTC). How did you manage to convert her?View attachment 201468
I'm not sure, beyond the cheesy "love" thing. However, back in the day, I made home brew. We were bottling a batch and she was handing me the bottles while I was down on one knee filling them. It occurred to me , "You ought to hang on to a gal who would help you bottle your beer! ". I was already on one knee, so, I asked her to marry me and she said yes. She loves Tennessee and our team, too. She has some black sheep auburn fans in her family, so, I guess it wasn't a vacuum.

Reactions: supersmo18
Really enjoyed St. Lucia, but Green Turtle Cay is our "go to" island now. In keeping with being a UT board, on our last trip we rented a beautiful house named Tennessee Turquoise from a Knoxville couple. Lots of orange, and there was no doubt you were in a UT fans house. If you enjoy the islands, I can't recommend Green Turtle enough. It's a totally different experience when compared to resorts.
Where is Green Turtle Cay

VN Store

Back