John Adams doesn’t hold back

Funny, Adams is so smart today and the other 6 days knows nothing about UT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter who Fulmer hired, A FEW WILL DISAGREE. Kellie did a fantastic job at MSU and will do a very good job here as she is so much like Pat. ANYONE IS BETTER THEN WHAT WE HAD.....even my high school coach would have done better.

Yes, it's hard to find anyone worse than Holly!

About that "her one stop at a Power 5 school she got fired" POV, allow me to offer another consideration:

Coach Harper has been HC at 3 schools. 2 mid-major, 1 P5. Her first job she took the school to new heights and by all accounts overachieved there. She did the same in her 3rd job, culminating in this year's Kay Yow award. Perhaps the one P5 job in the middle is the outlier? Maybe the problem was that PARTICULAR job at that particular time?

At NC State she immediately followed their Summitt, at a time when that whole athletic department was a complete dumpster fire. Think UT between Dickey and Fulmer, that bad. Everything there was a mess, the AD that hired her was pushed out so she had to work for an AD that didn't hire her, and we know how that goes. We UT fans lived the nightmare of a screwed up administration affecting our sports for years, so we of all people should offer grace here. I'm willing to presume that the NC State job may not reflect her actual abilities.

At UT, she will have the best facilities and a top-2 all-time WBB brand. She will be given everything she needs to be successful. She's shown she can get it done at places with few to no resources for WBB, and now we'll see if she has what it takes to become elite at an elite program.
I beg to disagree with the part in bold; it could NOT have been as bad as hammy, hart, and currie reigns. Some things are just not possible. The damage hammy and hart did to UT will be felt for years to come; currie just had his one big fiasco, so hopefully his damage is minimal. (I am still confused though as to why that great coach, lauded across the country and by all the media, is not hired by OH ST as their head coach, or even interim coach. Perhaps one of you kind people could explain that to me.)

Other than that, I agree with your thoughts. 👍!

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
let's keep this in the fridge for this miserable, negative bastard ........

eating-crow.jpg

How is he wrong?
You fire a coach with a record of 172–67 and hire a coach who's one stop at a power 5 job had a 70–64 record.
You don't do that, period. Kellie gives the blue hairs the feel goods and thats great but heres the truth, UNTIL THIS PROGRAM IS READY TO MOVE ON AND STOP LIVING ON PAT SUMMITT'S NAME IT WILL ONLY BE MEDIOCRE. This USED to be a great program but it turned into a museum for Pat, now I have nothing for respect for Pat and what she did here but it's time to move on. This place is so set in it's ways its disgusting, the fact that you have a few women running around saying they will never stand for a man coaching the womens game but preaching equality in sports. Do you hear yourselves? The older part of the Lady Vol fan base is the most arrogant, delusional collective group of people in sports today. Move on and let the program grow, you guys act like some weird a$$ gate keepers for the shrine of Pat, so again MOVE ON.
The older part of the LV fan base are probably the bigger donors. I’m not sure because I’m not one. But give the woman a chance.. if she doesn’t work out then back to the drawing board. If she does work out then we end up with a good coach for a good price.

I hope she does a good job. Fact is, it will be very difficult duplicating Summits record. She came along at a time where it was usually us or Old Dominion fighting for the title. There so much parity in womans BB now .. UConn has even fallen off of late. Hopefully Harper can get them to play as a team on a consistent basis. Also make good in game adjustments. Lets give her a chance...

I love it when a John Adams article is quoted on this site. The only time it happens is when the normally negative article JA writes is in line with the negative stance they have taken. Any other time, most on this site consider his articles trash journalism.

I think the bottom line is that most of us operated under the idea that, if Holly got fired, we'd go out and hire a no-brainer replacement. I mean, this is the Lady Vols, right? It's a premier program with winning tradition, amazing facilities, dedicated fans ... all of the necessary pieces.

I like Kellie and remember her playing days fondly, but playing it cheap and safe with a coach who got fired by NC State is not the move I thought Fulmer would make. He's banking on getting lucky instead of making a hire that provides infinitely more certainty. It just tells me they don't care quite as much about women's basketball as we've been led to believe.

How is he wrong?
You fire a coach with a record of 172–67 and hire a coach who's one stop at a power 5 job had a 70–64 record.
You don't do that, period. Kellie gives the blue hairs the feel goods and thats great but heres the truth, UNTIL THIS PROGRAM IS READY TO MOVE ON AND STOP LIVING ON PAT SUMMITT'S NAME IT WILL ONLY BE MEDIOCRE. This USED to be a great program but it turned into a museum for Pat, now I have nothing for respect for Pat and what she did here but it's time to move on. This place is so set in it's ways its disgusting, the fact that you have a few women running around saying they will never stand for a man coaching the womens game but preaching equality in sports. Do you hear yourselves? The older part of the Lady Vol fan base is the most arrogant, delusional collective group of people in sports today. Move on and let the program grow, you guys act like some weird a$$ gate keepers for the shrine of Pat, so again MOVE ON.
spot on

9 times out of 10 you'd be right. It's the 1 out of 10 here.

No, he isn't. Adams is wasting air someone worthwhile could be breathing. There is no 1 out of 10 times he is right. All he does is write crap to stir up the mindless boobs within the fan base. At least he makes it easy to spot them; if they read his articles, agree with him, and want to discuss his opinion, they are mindless boobs.

How is he wrong?

Shut up, John.

Reactions: manville77
Holly loved the Lady Vol program as much as anyone could. She needed to learn offensive sets, which you would have thought would have been obvious to her, and needed a tougher approach as a coach, which doesn't seem to be her nature. The development of the players wasn't there, the chemistry wasn't there, and without a doubt, the program was making way to many firsts in negative ways to allow Holly to be retained. Hate it for her, but that's the way it is in big time college athletics. AD Fulmer knows what it takes to compete in the SEC. I trust his judgement in his coaching hires. Look at the physical development of the football team. They are getting bigger and stronger, Pruitt has put together what seems to be a great staff and I think we will see the results soon. KJH was just named the Kay Yow Women's Basketball Coach of the Year. Let's give her and Fulmer the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Let's quit bashing and start supporting as we should.

So far, I will let the results speak for themselves. As for trusting Fulmer's judgement, and if you hear today's introductory PC, I only hope his judgement is better than his public speaking skills. As for his hires, I am not going to blindly praise them, because so far none have done much so far UNLESS you count retaining Barnes this week. So excuse me if I don't join you in singing, "How great Phil art" or "Oh, how I love Fulmer".

As for Harper, it's wait and see. On the positive, she did a nice enough job with Missouri State. Yeah NC State left much to be desired, but trying to follow Kay Yow is tough. I hope she is following Pat's example and how things were when she was at the top of her game. The fact Kellie was right in the middle of that gives me hope for her. However, she needs to make the leap toward that quickly, or she will be viewed as another cheap hire and trying to hang onto the past foolishly. Kellie was a player I loved having with the Lady Vols, and I hope her return as HC is a return to greatness for this program. But I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Also, UT didn't put winning as a priority with this hire. They just didn't. Kellie may very well be successful here and I certainly hope she is, but given who they hired, her resume and her pay, it's clear they don't care if the program is elite ever again. I personally don't feel any better about this hire than I did when Holly was hired, but we will see. Just like with Holly as a LV legend, I would love nothing more than to see Kellie take us back to elite status.

This is the bottom line. Fans know everything Adams wrote is accurate and when they can't refute it they resort to personal insults. They also know deep down if she wasn't a former LV she wouldn't have gotten a second look for this job. If the sheep want to put on a happy face and pretend this is a home run hire that's fine, but don't act indignant toward the rest of us who can objectively think for ourselves...

If I want to read homer takes I can easily find them on VN. Adams is no homer and that’s why a lot of people don’t like him. I think his writing style can be annoying, but there’s nothing wrong with considering his point of view

Well,my point of view is he needs to retire, and his replacement needs to be someone who is not a snarky hypocrite. It has nothing to do with him not being a homer. He is like a hanging chad. And when I line my bird cage with his picture, I praise the occupants aim.

More of the same stuff from Adams which is why I quit reading the News Sentinel. Harper will do a great job here. This is just to sell papers. Epic fail.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Well,my point of view is he needs to retire, and his replacement needs to be someone who is not a snarky hypocrite. It has nothing to do with him not being a homer. He is like a hanging chad. And when I line my bird cage with his picture, I praise the occupants aim.
I could have guessed by your title how you feel about him.

VN Store

Back