He is not worth 5 million a year

Stop lying. Projections and rankings are facts that are easily verified.

Not one person thought the first time p5 coach inheriting a team picked LAST in the conference was supposed to go the the NCAA each year. The only ones retroactively claiming he should have are those trying to twist things to fit an agenda.

Pearl had already let the team fall off the cliff. His last year the regular season was worse than Martin's first. Losses to College of Charleston, Oakland, and Charlotte . He had a much better roster with a one and done NBA All Star and got a bid we didn't deserve then got whooped by 30 in the tourney. Then we lose all the good players off of that team. The program was already in a downturn with Pearl buddy.

Pearl' s last year 19-15 8-8 SEC. Martin first year 19-15 10-6 SEC. 🙄🙃

Dude stop making crap up. No one thought the team coming off that Pearl season and losing all the good players would even be .500.

Martin was probably tired of death threats to his family. I know I wouldn't put up with it. Then add on the expectations that only existed for him and he was probably right to go. Just look at the way Barnes is beloved and people hate Martin despite the same situation and Martin winning more.

I didn't bring up race pal. The one who did has the problem, not me. Just like you. You have "coincidentally" hated every black head coach, coordinator, or quarterback. 🤔

You can't make up things. Fact is both were picked in the same spot. Both had no returning good players. Martin won more in the same time frame.

Barnes is a better coach. Martin did well here too for the situation he was put it. Anyone that can't acknowledgethat has an agenda.

Perhaps the most reasonable post in this thread.

Reactions: k-town_king
This is my last response for now about this. I see you just want to lie in an effort to bash Martin.

The roster Pearl left was just a bad as what Tyndall did. You don't lose your top 6 scorers off a 19-15 team and say that is a good roster unless you are a real idiot or have an agenda.

What experienced squad did he have the first two years? Please tell me. They were experienced year three and guess what? Sweet 16. They were all freshmen and sophomores the first two years. Barnes inherited MORE experience. So I guess you think Barnes was trash with more experience but not even being a bubble team, just a .500 team the first two years. Of I forgot. You have an agenda.

Larry Scott was bad. No one you claim defends black coaches defended him. So that blows your whole idiotic theory up of supporting bad coaches due to race.

And once again the one who actually has an issue with it brought it up. Not me. It's obvious it's an issue wither you. Also your sjw jabs prove my point. Only bigots use terms like that. Also you hate every black qb or coaching candidate for a coordinator position or above. Your post history is pretty telling.

No more energy on a troll with an agenda who has obviously never played on a basketball team and does not posses any basketball knowledge.

I guess you have to be a bigot to throw that word around.

What's funny is you actually believe that when it is widely known here that anytime you don't like one ounce of criticism on certain people, you start hurling out "This cries of racial undertones"

That is your playbook. But hey, run and hide like you do and blame the "bigots" smh.

Yes Barnes is worth the money and here is why.

Attendance is up by right at 4K per game since CCM last year. Someone help me out on ticket cost but I am going to use 25$.

That's $100000 per game increase and that isn't even taking into account concessions and apparel sales increase.

We played 18 home gamers. That's 1.8mil which easily covers the raise Barnes just received.

Making a coach one of the highest paid in the nation, who has only taken his teams to the sweet sixteen, seems rather over the top to me.

Reactions: 08Vol
I guess you have to be a bigot to throw that word around.

What's funny is you actually believe that when it is widely known here that anytime you don't like one ounce of criticism on certain people, you start hurling out "This cries of racial undertones"

That is your playbook. But hey, run and hide like you do and blame the "bigots" smh.
This argument never goes anywhere on here. Live with the fact that Martin was doomed from the start for one reason. He followed Pearl. Nothing would have satisfied his disclaimers but a FF or Natty. I liked the guy but his leaving was followed by a continued adherence to the cheap hire syndrome that got us a Butter Bean and the final devastation of our program. Admin has restored my faith by finally paying the bucks to build a culture.

Making a coach one of the highest paid in the nation, who has only taken his teams to the sweet sixteen, seems rather over the top to me.

I haven't seen it mentioned but Buzz Williams was going to make more than Barnes before The raise.

You agree williams should have made more than Barnes?

Programs do it all the time. They pay some mid major coach who got to a sweet 16 ungodly amounts of money.

This time a program simply said “we’ll do it with the known we have.”

What would losing the same coach to 5 million per year at UCLA where there is more talent and easier competition and going thru a 4th coaching search in 8 years rate on your over the top scale?

Honestly, these types of salaries are why i became disenfranchised with baseball and to an extent football. Basketball is a joke beyond college.

Universities are not on same playing field as gajillionaire pro sports teams. What's at risk here is #1 only upper echelon teams with big time corporate donors continuing these massive dynasties - which will push fans away. #2 State's and Students having to foot the bill for egregious salaries. (Republicans use the term trickle down?) sooner or later **** rolls down hill. Cost of things increases, money comes from somewhere. And i gaurantee you it aint Haslam.

Honestly; i am for a salary cap for college coaches. if they dont like it, go to the pro's.

Stop lying. Projections and rankings are facts that are easily verified.

Not one person thought the first time p5 coach inheriting a team picked LAST in the conference was supposed to go the the NCAA each year. The only ones retroactively claiming he should have are those trying to twist things to fit an agenda.

Pearl had already let the team fall off the cliff. His last year the regular season was worse than Martin's first. Losses to College of Charleston, Oakland, and Charlotte . He had a much better roster with a one and done NBA All Star and got a bid we didn't deserve then got whooped by 30 in the tourney. Then we lose all the good players off of that team. The program was already in a downturn with Pearl buddy.

Pearl' s last year 19-15 8-8 SEC. Martin first year 19-15 10-6 SEC. 🙄🙃

Dude stop making crap up. No one thought the team coming off that Pearl season and losing all the good players would even be .500.

Martin was probably tired of death threats to his family. I know I wouldn't put up with it. Then add on the expectations that only existed for him and he was probably right to go. Just look at the way Barnes is beloved and people hate Martin despite the same situation and Martin winning more.

I didn't bring up race pal. The one who did has the problem, not me. Just like you. You have "coincidentally" hated every black head coach, coordinator, or quarterback. 🤔

You can't make up things. Fact is both were picked in the same spot. Both had no returning good players. Martin won more in the same time frame.

Barnes is a better coach. Martin did well here too for the situation he was put it. Anyone that can't acknowledgethat has an agenda.

I mostly agree with everything you've said...except I don't think Martin had as bad of a roster year 1.

Martin comes in and has 6 RSCI top 100 players, all of which came from Pearl's recruiting.
Trae Golden - #86
Jeronne Maymon - #73
Jordan McRae - #40
Cameron Tatum - #96
Renaldo Woolridge - #70
Kenny Hall - #62

From Pearl's last season 8 players remained for Matin's frist year. Of the ones that left only 2 didn't graduate and those 2 both declared for the NBA draft (Hopson & Tobias)
His top contributors in year one were Golden, Maymon, McRae, Tatum, McBee, Stokes, Hall, and Woolridge...Stokes was the only one Martin recruited.

Barnes comes in and has 2 RSCI top 100 players
Robert Hubbs - #22
Detrick Mostella - #68/#94

His top contributors in year one were Punter, Moore, Baulkman, Hubbs, Mostella, Admiral, Shembari Phillips....Admiral & Shembari were both freshmen Barnes recruited.

From Donnie's team only 7 remained for Barnes' first year. Of the ones that left only 2 graduated, Carmichael, Owens, and Woodson were all underclassmen that chose to transfer (might have been Barnes' suggestion too I don't know). Galen Campbell I think was a walk-on though not sure why he didn't remain on the team may have been a RS Junior and just graduated too.

Reactions: Lefteye
Once again, I'm not sure how you can argue this. Auburn won 30 games this year, we won 31. Auburn went 2-0 against us this year. Auburn kept us from winning the SEC regular season title and then beat us again to win the SECCG, something we've not done in 40 years. Then they advanced 2 rounds further than us, making the final 4, the most prestigious thing one can do in CBB outside of winning it all. I do not like Auburn, and I love Tennessee, but they had a better year than Tennessee this year, easily.

The absurd part of the statement was "anyone who knows basketball", and I paraphrase, "agrees with me." See, I can see how you think Auburn's year was better, but I disagree. You, apparently, can't see how I think Tennessee's year was better. That's silly.
I happen to think a 27-4 regular season with a win over eventual number one seed Gonzaga and a split with Kentucky, with only one loss to an unranked team, tops a 22-9 regular season with the only significant win being over the 27-4 team, with four losses to unranked teams. For me, someone who still thinks the regular season DOES matter, the tournament is gravy, and, more importantly, has WAY too many flukish elements to be the deciding factor for who had the best season. They had a flukish first round win, then a nice tournament run. We had a flukish sweet 16 loss.

The final four is "prestigious" only arbitrarily. The tournament matters because it's how the powers that be decided to choose the champion, but if you don't win the championship then you're only one of the 67 teams who lost their last game. That's just as valid a perspective as the one that says how far you make it in the final tournament is the main determinant for how successful your season was.

Koch Brothers have Marshall locked down at Wichita State. He's living a dream there.
Maybe, but he expressed interest twice before, and he'd be in a conference where you don't have to dominate it to get into the tournament and a few losses don't keep you from a high seed.

The absurd part of the statement was "anyone who knows basketball", and I paraphrase, "agrees with me." See, I can see how you think Auburn's year was better, but I disagree. You, apparently, can't see how I think Tennessee's year was better. That's silly.
I happen to think a 27-4 regular season with a win over eventual number one seed Gonzaga and a split with Kentucky, with only one loss to an unranked team, tops a 22-9 regular season with the only significant win being over the 27-4 team, with four losses to unranked teams. For me, someone who still thinks the regular season DOES matter, the tournament is gravy, and, more importantly, has WAY too many flukish elements to be the deciding factor for who had the best season. They had a flukish first round win, then a nice tournament run. We had a flukish sweet 16 loss.

The final four is "prestigious" only arbitrarily. The tournament matters because it's how the powers that be decided to choose the champion, but if you don't win the championship then you're only one of the 67 teams who lost their last game. That's just as valid a perspective as the one that says how far you make it in the final tournament is the main determinant for how successful your season was.

Auburn also beat a #1 seed this year, but when it mattered the most. They beat 2 seed Tennessee twice, they beat 2 seed Kentucky and beat a Kansas team that we lost to, quite badly. The final four is prestigious to 99 percent of college basketball fans. If you asked anyone in college basketball if you'd rather win 30 games, the conference tournament, and make the final 4 vs 31 games, no championships of any kind and lose on the Sweet 16, 99 out of 100 will take option 1 and that may be too generous a number, as it may be closer to 1 out of 100,000 who'd rather lose in the sweet 16 and win no title because of 4 extra regular season losses. If you wouldn't have rather had Auburn's season, I don't know why you watch college basketball to be honest. Was that 1 extra win overall Tennessee had that important? Did those regular season losses months ago diminish them that much?

Auburn also beat a #1 seed this year, but when it mattered the most. They beat 2 seed Tennessee twice, they beat 2 seed Kentucky and beat a Kansas team that we lost to, quite badly. The final four is prestigious to 99 percent of college basketball fans. If you asked anyone in college basketball if you'd rather win 30 games, the conference tournament, and make the final 4 vs 31 games, no championships of any kind and lose on the Sweet 16, 99 out of 100 will take option 1 and that may be too generous a number, as it may be closer to 1 out of 100,000 who'd rather lose in the sweet 16 and win no title because of 4 extra regular season losses. If you wouldn't have rather had Auburn's season, I don't know why you watch college basketball to be honest. Was that 1 extra win overall Tennessee had that important? Did those regular season losses months ago diminish them that much?

Yeah 31 wins in the SEC aint nothin nationally. May be at UT when UT isnt a basketball school. but in basketball, titles and final fours are the currency that matters. Beating the crap out of atrocious SEC teams might make you feel good, but it wont get you respect nationally.

the Spartans lost some TERRIBLE games. Illinois, Indiana TWICE. But they won when it mattered (Big10 title and a final four).

For most of the season I was floored that MSU was ranked as high as they were and that UT got no respect as soon as they lost one game to Kentucky.

Now I know the truth.

In college BB, winning in March is ALL that matters. You might as well not even play the rest of the season (except as practice).

The reason he's worth it, IMO, is the stability he brings and not having to go out and gamble on a no name (we wouldn't get Bruce. You know it. I know it.). This could have easily set us back for a decade. He's worth it.

Plus this shows future candidates, when Barnes retires in 5-10 years, we're e a serious basketball school.

It's about respect and appreciation for what Rick has done for our basketball program AND his impact on East Tennessee as a whole. He is worth more than wins. Plus, Barnes will just turn around and donate it back to the community anyways..

In his defense he doesn’t watch college basketball. He starts following around SEC tournament time. It’s hilarious seeing all these football fans try and sunshine pump basketball when you bear in mind the shitfit they threw about hiring schiano. Who frankly absolutely had a better resume than Barnes did.

Cuonzo had two Freshman McDonald’s All Americans at Cal and lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament.

And? Barnes can’t recruit those kind of players at Tennessee. That’s another reason you don’t make him a top five paid coach.

And why are we bringing Cal into this? Barnes lost in the second round with Kevin Durant- the best basketball player in the world. I’ll take him over jaylen brown and Ivan rabb any day (ps those are the five stars you are referring too. It’s just a talking point to you and I didn’t want you to be confused).

Cuonzo isn’t a good coach. But he did better than Barnes did as a coach here. We let a top five coach in basketball get away.

I am taking this as sarcasm and I sincerely hope it is.

Cuonzo is a mediocre coach.
Barnes is a HOF coach.
And Im assuming you are referring to Pearl....he gave TN pretty much no choice but to fire him because he's a liar.

VN Store

Back