Kellie Harper officially announced as Lady Vols BB Coach...

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed, but I don't know that she's the right person to take us back to the upper echelon of WCBB. Time will tell. Can't be worse than what we went thru with Holly, can it???!!! I remain cautiously optimistic...

Reactions: tbwhhs
One of my favorite Vols, hate to see her put herself in this position. Maybe she is ready, it's for sure she knows what she signed up for. ?This is the other side of the world from Missouri State. I will be watching anxiously hoping she gets it right.
I will too. Those of us who are expressing our doubts and concerns aren't doing so because we want her to fail... We want to be wrong. This is definitely a much better program with better facilities, a larger recruiting budget and fan support than what she had at NC State. Perhaps, that is what she needed? We will see.

Reactions: papatomany
The way in which the game was played (and the complexity of offensive sets) was totally different between Warlick's and KJH's era. The PG as coach on the floor/QB really was not a thing in Holly's era.

It was for KJH: Here is a nice quote by CPS about KJH (poached from the LV facebook page):

In her 2012 book, “Sum it Up,” written with Sally Jenkins, Summitt wrote this about Harper: “She invariably called the right play at the right moment, and sent the ball to the right place, but more than that, Kellie had a quality that everyone on our team drew from: heart. … At her first team meeting as a freshman, Kellie had showed how willing she was to do what I asked. We had a plush blue leather sectional sofa that the kids loved to sink into. I marched in and said, ‘First things first, sit up straight and look me in the eye.’ Kellie sprang up from the blue cushions and sat so ramrod straight, I thought she might salute.”
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make? All I did was correct a misstatement. If this is because I refuse to pile on Holly, I'm sorry, but I won't do that. Holly was unsuccessful as HC, but that doesn't erase her playing career, or her years of service on Pat's staff. She did plenty of good for this team over the years, even if her HC tenure casts a shadow over it. She will always be a Lady Vol.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed, but I don't know that she's the right person to take us back to the upper echelon of WCBB. Time will tell. Can't be worse than what we went thru with Holly, can it???!!! I remain cautiously optimistic...
If the history of Tennessee athletics has taught us anything... it's that things can always get worse.

I think Kellie will surprise many in a good way.

Anybody that is not cautious about this hire EITHER way should be dismissed as having a relevant thought.... It is one thing to be hopeful, another to be adamant that the future is extraordinarily bright. Likewise it is one thing to question the hire, but another to prognosticate doom and question the AD's analysis without even knowing what it was comprised of.

One thing I truly believe, no one wants to see this program succeed more than the ladies who played for Pat. I think that was true of Holly, even if she didn't succeed. I think that will be true of KJH. I think in our own fandom, we sometimes forget that.

I think this was the worst possible hire in the history of college basketball, but I want to be wrong. I really do.

In fact, I want to be wrong so badly that I'm going to devote several hours each day making multiple posts in multiple threads about what a horrible choice this was on Fulmer's part until the eventual firing when we go winless.

But I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make? All I did was correct a misstatement. If this is because I refuse to pile on Holly, I'm sorry, but I won't do that. Holly was unsuccessful as HC, but that doesn't erase her playing career, or her years of service on Pat's staff. She did plenty of good for this team over the years, even if her HC tenure casts a shadow over it. She will always be a Lady Vol.

Very sorry. I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant than since Holly had been a star PG and failed as coach that KJH was destined to the same fate.

So my apologies for that mistake and I totally agree with you about Holly and her VFL credentials.

Very sorry. I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant than since Holly had been a star PG and failed as coach that KJH was destined to the same fate.

So my apologies for that mistake and I totally agree with you about Holly and her VFL credentials.
It's all good.

So we fired a coach that won 72% of her games, to hire a coach that has won 58% of her games, against lesser competition. We'll be back here in 4 years.

Reactions: k-town_king
Nobody care I guess but I just saw that the burning barrel at Georgia Tech just hired Nell Fortner as their new womens coach.

While not my first choice I hope she does well and brings this team back to prominence. I haven't watched a single game Harper has ever coached so I'll plead dumb when it comes to the kind of offense/defense she runs. So someone who knows what does she do on both of those ends?

Reactions: Amb3096
So we fired a coach that won 72% of her games, to hire a coach that has won 58% of her games, against lesser competition. We'll be back here in 4 years.
Yes we did. And not only was it a good idea it was about a year overdue. There's a reason for this and if you watched at all the last few seasons you know the reason painfully well. I won't repeat it all, its history now.

So yeah, we fired a coach way worse than her W/L record indicates and hired a coach way better (we hope) than her W/L record indicates. Crazy world.

Yes we did. And not only was it a good idea it was about a year overdue. There's a reason for this and if you watched at all the last few seasons you know the reason painfully well. I won't repeat it all, its history now.

So yeah, we fired a coach way worse than her W/L record indicates and hired a coach way better (we hope) than her W/L record indicates. Crazy world.

Yep, if you just take her win percentage over the last 3 season, it tells a somewhat different story. And I seem to remember a 6 game losing streak followed by a 3 game losing streak....

Yep, if you just take her win percentage over the last 3 season, it tells a somewhat different story. And I seem to remember a 6 game losing streak followed by a 3 game losing streak....
Tired of hearing Holly's record dangled, its why I went off on that Adams podcast. Anyone who does that either hasn't been watching closely or at all, or is purposely saying something they know is misleading and without context just to be contrarian. Welcome to the internet, right?

I'm adding this one to my VolNation drinking game along with Title IX, can't follow a legend, and "talent".

Reactions: madtownvol
Warlick was an AA too! That really means nothing to me. Some of the greatest coaches were bench riders or didn't even play at an elite level.
Greatness on the hardwood, or field, does not equate to greatness on the sidelines and that has been proven in a lot of sports. I really think that Holly would have been better served if she had coached at other schools, either as an assistant or head coach, before she took the reins of the Lady Vol program.

This is what I have been saying. You couldn't pay me to join a staff where one of my equals was married to my boss. Just a recipe for disaster. Hoping part of the deal was that she must hire a staff that does not include her husband.

Seems to work well with the softball team, and i think track also has a similar situation.

How about we not compare KJH to Holly or Pat. No one will be Pat and Holly never got offered a job, she was given Tennessee.

I think this was the worst possible hire in the history of college basketball, but I want to be wrong. I really do.

In fact, I want to be wrong so badly that I'm going to devote several hours each day making multiple posts in multiple threads about what a horrible choice this was on Fulmer's part until the eventual firing when we go winless.

But I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

Hope therapy goes better for you in the near future.... Stay away from bridges.... just a hot tip...

This will be the best roster that she has ever had as far as talent. She has three more coming in that are talented as well. They don't give the time for the press conference certainly want to be watching.

I believe we got pretty close to accomplishing that feat already
A rise back out of mediocrity,,,that's a goal

I truly hope she wins a lot of games, but this was not a strong hire. The fan base has nothing to do but be positive at this point. It won’t take long to see what she brings to the table. The cream will always rise to the top when it comes to coaching and recruiting.

VN Store

Back