Jolly hired as the next LV HC

140 million/yr UTAD annual budget and we can't currently scrape together 7 figures for a wbb HC.

You'd think the university would do more for what is arguably their signature program. Oh well.
So interesting they can do 5M a year for the men’s coach . Can we have 1/2 that for the Lv

Actually, more than a decade removed now. Which is over half the lifetime of current recruits. The status of the program is wwwwaaayyy different in some fans minds than in current players and coaches minds. Which is why top coaches were not exactly lined up at PFs door.

Unfortunately, HWs last four season were not played out on paper, but on a basketball court in public. Any evaluation of HWs coaching ability that uses only her W/L record and not the trend of unimaginable awfulness the last four yrs is invalid and disingenuous from the start.

Paper be damned, there is NO possibility KHJ (or almost any coach in the universe) couldn't do better than the disorganized, dispirited, land of lost kids horror show we just came out of. Saying KJH will do better than that is an easy and very low bar.

Hell to the Yes!

madtown that post was the ever reliable Deer Park in the last tweet fm Hyams thread. I had asked for search info so I'd know whether to defend PF against the inevitable he went cheap and low criticism.

What I think I learned was he was a bit constrained, not by gender or the LV fam tree apparently, but more by a money ceiling and a lack of interest from established coaches. I think I understand the $ ceiling as a business decision and the disinterest isn't PFs fault so I guess I'll go on defending him.

In the end, the hire seems a hybrid: available for the right price, had the nice tourney run, and has the family ties that hopefully generate the energy and interest sufficient to make up for her questionable record. Basically, we are getting rid of a coach much worse than her W/L record indicates and gaining a coach who is supposedly much better than her W.L indicates. Even given that, I feel better about LV basketball right now, especially with the Horston news, than I have in long time. There is hope.

Last edited:
Interesting post on the LV Facebook page, which cites a poster on Volnation-- could not find the original. But, the narrative seems very plausible:

View attachment 201224
I have an awful feeling that Kellie wasn't the first choice. I had hoped for great results with a high potential coach. Hopefully, if offers were actually made, they were not rejected because no one would touch this position. And hopefully, this will not be a repeat of the Derek Dooley scenario. I wish Coach Harper the best. She has a daunting challenge ahead.

I have an awful feeling that Kellie wasn't the first choice. I had hoped for great results with a high potential coach. Hopefully, if offers were actually made, they were not rejected because no one would touch this position. And hopefully, this will not be a repeat of the Derek Dooley scenario. I wish Coach Harper the best. She has a daunting challenge ahead.
I think KJH was the candidate from the minute Holly Warlick was fired and nobody else was interviewed

you will be disappointed if she does well?
Ah, the lost art of irony. See, if I'm "expecting" four years of mediocrity, similar to our last four years, then real success with disappoint those expectations. Ironically, that's what I hope will happen, which leads to the final line, which is a plea for my own disappointment; because I will be pleased while my expectations will be crushed. This stuff really killed in my 400 level English classes, back in the day, but, of course, knowing your audience helps. Aren't jokes and irony SO much better when explained?

*please insert blue fonts where needed.

Can't wait to see everyone blame Phill if it doesn't work.
You will wait forever then - because "everyone" will not blame Phil if Kellie fails. I will never blame him.
Any choice is a crap shoot. Recall how great Gail G was at Duke - such a can't miss hire for Texas right? Well no - it didn't work out for Texas or Gail.
There is no safe choice - it's a fantasy, but Kellie has a lot going for her. This will be her fourth HC gig - she had great success at two of three stints as a head coach.
She has a lot more going for her here at home. I hope and pray she succeeds but I will never blame Phil for this choice no matter what happens.
Go Kellie - Go Lady Vols. We now have a head coach who knows what it takes to be a head coach.

I thought the same thing when we hired Barnes. I'm with you, but let's give her a chance. Go Vols!
This my thinking. From my vantage point, it looks like maybe we settled, but that doesn't mean she won't retire as the most successful coach of all time. I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
I'd like to have what some of you are smoking. 16 years a head coach and only one Sweet 16. :::smh::::

Nick didn't play for the Bear. Cal didn't play for Rupp. Roy didn't play for Dean. Blue blood programs sustain their lofty status by hiring the best coaches in the game, not ex-players with mediocre coaching resumes.

If you truly want someone with "Lady Vol championship blood and DNA", then hire Tyler Summitt. He's got the DNA and he can spread it around like nobody's business.

On this, and other UT forums, there is the constant yelping about "pouring more money into everything", as if the money is sprouting on trees.

It would be very, very interesting to see the financial records of those on here who constantly act as if money is no object. It has been my experience that those who are most eager to pour more money down the rat hole, are those who pouring other people's money down that hole because they have no idea about financial matters.

Personally, I think coaches are very overpaid. Who else can get paid so much for doing what they love, and when fired for failing, get paid hundreds of thousands or even millions as they go out the door. This is done because the people working up those type contracts are spending someone's else's money.

But back to Kellie, I love the hire.

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
Well good bye current roster and incoming recruits. This is going to get ugly, very ugly.

How can we give up before KJH has a chance? We have no clue what the future holds for KJH and the Lady Vols. We should at least give her a chance before kicking her to the curb and throwing her under a bus. I too wanted a top ten well known coach, however, for various reasons, we do not always get what we want. We have to go with the cards we have been dealt until time proves otherwise.

How can we give up before KJH has a chance? We have no clue what the future holds for KJH and the Lady Vols. We should at least give her a chance before kicking her to the curb and throwing her under a bus. I too wanted a top ten well known coach, however, for various reasons, we do not always get what we want. We have to go with the cards we have been dealt until time proves otherwise.
You’re right. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. She deserves our support.

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever

VN Store

Back