UT just went all in, big boy money

I'm glad Fulmer and Tennessee decided to pony up some big boy money. It bodes well for the future of the program and makes a statement to the rest of the country that we are taking winning seriously again. You think other coaches won't notice that when we need to make another hire?

Too long we've tried to go the frugal route when hiring coaches and ended up spending the money anyway on buyouts. So you're still paying the money but with nothing to show for it. How stupid is that?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
It’s refreshing to finally have a coach another school was trying to lure away, in any sport.
It is and it looks refreshing that Barnes went the money grab route as everyone else does!! I loved Barnes from the git go but a little luster in my eyes has diminished . If he was not a multi millionaire it would be different, but you got to walk the walk that you talk! JMHO as always

It is and it looks refreshing that Barnes went the money grab route as everyone else does!! I loved Barnes from the git go but a little luster in my eyes has diminished . If he was not a multi millionaire it would be different, but you got to walk the walk that you talk! JMHO as always

I have zero problem with Barnes or anyone else entertaining offers and getting the best deal they can. You gotta remember a coach is just and employee, get what you can get it doesn't last forever.

Not often, definitely not the norm, do you see a basketball coach making more than the football coach. Does this open the door for problems down the road? I don't have an opinion one way or the other...just think it's an interesting debate.
**Edit** of course Pruitt would have to produce for there to be an issue...

Not often, definitely not the norm, do you see a basketball coach making more than the football coach. Does this open the door for problems down the road? I don't have an opinion one way or the other...just think it's an interesting debate.
**Edit** of course Pruitt would have to produce for there to be an issue...

Pressure is on Barnes to sustain sweet 16 level play. Can't have "rebuilding years" with that kind of money.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Again, I guess it's just the notion that fans are happy about having to spend MORE money for a something. We really had no choice but to make an offer he could not refuse otherwise we risk losing all the positivity surrounding what we've accomplished over the last 2 years. It did give us stability...I hope...and instills confidence on the recruiting front that he's going to remain a Vol until retirement...again...I hope.

Really hope it turns out to be a worthy investment.
I get the hesitation, understanding that this cost is always passed on to the consumer. But I also think its nice to have a product worth investing in instead of throwing lessor money at inferior coaching talent. Now, is he worth it? Time will tell, but I know what we were doing before he came in, and it wasn’t much.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The $5 million makes Barnes 3rd highest paid coach in basketball

At a school that gives 2 sh!ts about basketball and only "acts interested" when they actually are winning.

Barnes is a damn genius businessman who just set up the rest of his career beautifully.

Reactions: treali94
I get the hesitation, understanding that this cost is always passed on to the consumer. But I also think its nice to have a product worth investing in instead of throwing lessor money at inferior coaching talent. Now, is he worth it? Time will tell, but I know what we were doing before he came in, and it wasn’t much.

Agreed. I really don't have a problem with spending the money. Might sound that way. Not to be repetitive, but it's was the mindset of being happy that something cost more that puzzled me. Guess it's my generation and the way I was raised. I'm not super frugal, but I'm not going to spend more if I can avoid it. Worked too hard for too long to let it go nilly willy. I guess it's just difficult for me to understand the thought process except when I consider that it's really not going to be an impact felt by the overwhelming majority of our fans. I'm happy UT kept Barnes and we don't have yet another search to go through and don't have to worry about losing everything we've seen built since Barnes arrived. The trick will be in keeping things rolling.

Reactions: treali94 and CA_Vol
Not surprising that UT would pay a Sweet Sixteen coach Final Four money.

a coach who I believe has never won a post season tournament of any kind in 3 decades. Sheesh. Maybe all this money will make him a better coach in March.

a coach who I believe has never won a post season tournament of any kind in 3 decades. Sheesh. Maybe all this money will make him a better coach in March.
It’ll make sure we are playing past the first week of March.

Bruce Pearl was an up & comer coach that was really great! but he screwed the pooch! If we wanna run with the big boys, you gotta go get the big boy leaders and Barnes is the guy. Pay the Man. Time will tell for sure with Pruitt. I think he's on the right track. Football takes 22 starters and a whole lot of reserves compared to basketball. More time to get football ready. But BB ran with the big boys this year. We got closer than ever before. Rejoice and hope we make another run on the near future. I hope Grant comes back, pulls a Peyton Manning act and announces he's returning. Wouldn't that be great. But if he doesn't, wish him well. Barnes brought in some great UT Ambassadors and VFL's! I've had the best ride in UT Basketball in a long time!

VN Store

Back