Josh Palmer is the ##1

He was the guy I was hoping and I thought would make a huge jump this year. I’ve always liked his game and hoped he could put all the pieces together. Hopefully he will this fall.

That’s disappointing to hear. Palmer made a handful of plays last year and is talented. But there’s no way he should be more than a 2nd or 3rd option on a legit SEC WR corps. Oh well, it is what it is.
Yeah after the stellar year we had last on offense running the ball, pass protecting, and throwing to all corners of the field, it's a shame that hes apparently having a really good spring. Maybe things will change and he ll get digress before Aug.

He showed no “flashes” whatsoever as a freshmen, it was just the opposite, highlighted by several drops, the most memorable a certain td at UF that he dropped in the end zone.

Last year he had moments last year vs ETSU and especially vs Auburn, but he was wildly inconsistent and struggled, like all our other WRs, in getting any separation from opposing DBs.

Hopefully he’s somehow gotten much, much better with another offseason and a new OC....but I’m very skeptical until we see more, much, much more. I’ve heard these stories before where shining reports come out of spring practice that rave about this player and that player as being greatly improved, making great plays, etc, etc.............and then the season starts.

I have to disagree with you KB. I think he showed flashes early as true freshman. I remember there were a few times when he was wide open, beating his man but Dormady over threw him. Easily could've been the leading WR that year with a decent passing attack.

Speaking on last year's results, you should know of all people to not judge to harshly on players due to our OL that would never allow a consistent passing/running game. The only receiver that has looked like an NFL talent, the past two years has been Callaway but that's only because of his ridiculous clutch, soft hands.

I believe Palmer has the physical tools to be the #1 and be a NFL talent. I do not think we are or ever have been WRU but our receivers have a lot of experience and bring diverse attributes that could wreak havoc...but only if we have a strong OL and running attack to support. Just my opinion...

Haven’t been so in decades, if ever.

We were on our way to getting that title again around the time of the Higgins commitment. Remember we had Josh Malone, Preston William's, and a couple others. Then Sgt Carter offense happened. The decommitments and transfers.

I will take the cautiously optimistic approach. We've had as many spring practice All Americans as anyone in the SEC. Our fans tend to overhype the talent and players and are left confused by losses.

Last edited:
(Raises hand) This kid has a higher ceiling than any other WR on our roster. Now--I know that doesn't mean much due to a lack of production by our corps over the last couple years but the kid has a ton of potential.
So basically, he’s the smartest kid in summer school.

Look, I agree the kid has some talent, he has some potential. I’m just saying he’s realized virtually none of it at this point and because of that, it’s way premature for anyone to say he’s a surefire future nfl WR or that he’s part of one of the best WR corps in the country.....that’s crazy talk imo.

I sincerely hope he takes a monster step forward this year and starts getting some draft board mentions after putting up some great numbers.....would love to see that out of JJ and Callaway as well......gotta see it though, cause it surely hasn’t happened yet.

Reactions: TC 83
All 3 guys have had flashes of being game breakers. Jennings was arguably the most important WR in 2016 with Josh Malone as a teammate.
Callaway has been brilliant sometimes. (Ga Tech 2017, UK 2018) and his return skills when he actually returns it are very good. Palmer showed very good skill as a freshman, except being able to hold on to the ball. But he was always open deep. Palmer can flat out run and with limited opportunities he began to shine in 2018.

Jennings became discontent in 2017. Byrd has been missing since 2017 after a very promising freshman season. Callaway has yet to fully emerge, and he first got to start in 2017.
There is a common denominator in all those instances. If Chaney can't fix this ongoing "situation". Then I have no doubt he'll give another situation a chance.

Byrd is still just as talented as he was as a freshman. Palmer, Jennings, and Callaway are all Sunday rotation WRs's. Not number Ones, but guys that can have a career in the NFL
Malone basically doubled JJ's 2016 numbers. JJ is a solid possession receiver but some Vol fans see him as another Pickens. He isn't.

Reactions: TC 83 and BreatheUT
It was last season in comparison to other positions. With competent line play they're route options and stats would have much better. I don't know where they rank nationally. But I know where they rank.by.position on our offense.
I’m not sure where they rank nationally, but in terms of the SEC, JJ, Palmer and Callaway collectively ranked 11th in receptions, 9th in yards and 14th in td receptions when compared to the top 3 receivers of the other 13 teams in the conference.

You’ve seen him for two years now, including last year when he was one of our 3 starters with JJ and Callaway....did you at any point think he’s better than either of those two? Yeah, me neither.
He’s been better at creating separation and getting open than those guys basically since day 1, though. Just hasn’t put all the rest together quite yet.

Between Palmer, Callaway, and Jennings, we have one of the best WR corps in the nation. You can argue over who is the best, but frankly, I'm just happy to have all three of them.

The real question IMO is whether anyone can emerge as a big contributor beyond the "Big 3".

Where would you rank our WRs in the SEC? I would say they are at best 3rd in the East.

He will be next year but for now he secured in the 3 spot.. he may end up with more yard than Jennings but he’s not our number 1

Reactions: Tetonvol
If Palmer has taken a step forward and is our best receiver than other teams need to watch out. Callaway has been one of the better receivers in the SEC for 2 years in a row now. Jennings is a dog who has embarrassed some of the best defenders in the SEC as well (looking at you, Teez). Not only that, but then you factor in Keyton, Murphy looks like he could take a step forward, also maybe using Ty Chandler in the slot, there's a lot of talent across the board.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Where would you rank our WRs in the SEC? I would say they are at best 3rd in the East.
No way our WRs are 3rd best in the East. Georgia is the only one that even gives ours a chance. USCe and Missouri lost their best WRs, Kentucky and Vandy only have 1 good WR each, Florida has a couple of good players, but no one I'd take over Callaway. I'd say at best 2nd, but first in my opinion.

VN Store

Back