UT just went all in, big boy money

Anyone else hearing 4.7 million plus performance incentives? My goodness, awesome!!!

Awesome? I get your meaning, but I have to shake my head when people rejoice because we're spending even more money for a coach. I guess since fans don't receive a bill directly for his services it's lost the impact. When fans see seat prices go up, concessions go up, parking go up, etc, I hope they don't whine about it. Rejoice that we've now got to spend 4.7 million for a guy to coach a bunch of kids to play basketball. My word. It's akin to paying taxes. The fact that we don't have to write a check at the end of the year but instead the govt takes a bite every paycheck makes it something most folks ignore. They rejoice when they get a refund thinking it's free money from the govt. Pay that bill at the end of the year or better yet, in Nov right before elections and they'd damned well feel differently. Sorry for the rant. Again, not a slam on you. Just crazy that we wear spending that much money for a coach as something like a badge of honor. Like "we're UT. We pay top dollar for our coaching staffs". Just strikes me as a little...well...insane.

Awesome? I get your meaning, but I have to shake my head when people rejoice because we're spending even more money for a coach. I guess since fans don't receive a bill directly for his services it's lost the impact. When fans see seat prices go up, concessions go up, parking go up, etc, I hope they don't whine about it. Rejoice that we've now got to spend 4.7 million for a guy to coach a bunch of kids to play basketball. My word. It's akin to paying taxes. The fact that we don't have to write a check at the end of the year but instead the govt takes a bite every paycheck makes it something most folks ignore. They rejoice when they get a refund thinking it's free money from the govt. Pay that bill at the end of the year or better yet, in Nov right before elections and they'd damned well feel differently. Sorry for the rant. Again, not a slam on you. Just crazy that we wear spending that much money for a coach as something like a badge of honor. Like "we're UT. We pay top dollar for our coaching staffs". Just strikes me as a little...well...insane.

You can b!tch and moan all you want, but UT has lagged in coaches’ salaries in all sports ... until Fulmer stepped in.

In football, we are finally catching up in coordinator compensation. And, whether you agree with paying Barnes or not, we are making a statement about men’s basketball.

To be the best you have to attract top shelf coaches. You only do that by paying top shelf salaries. UT is finally making a statement that it is in it to win.

It's an investment in the program. It's may or may not pay for itself but that's what it is. Saban got some eyebrow rasing cash back in the day and it paid off in spades.

Mike Hamilton went another direction and went repeatedly cheap. He darn near drained our resources by going cheap.

👆Horrible take, here.

Tennessee has spent years bargain shopping for basketball coaches. In a way, the worst thing to happen was that one of these bargain purchases paid off (Pearl) in terms of success and the previous powers And administration have spent the last few hires trying to replicate that. It’s about time Tennessee spend some money to keep a known success instead of trying to discover the possible next up-and-coming success.

No, insane would be to keep doing what they had been doing, but hoping for different results.

In this case they actually did the “sane” thing. They did something different, hoping for the same results or possibly better.

People don’t seem to understand, your going to over pay regardless.........why not pay more than you want for something you have that is working?

If a coach at Sam Huston State is willing to work there for 300,000.......then he is willing to work for 300k, but if he came to Tennessee they would have to pay him what.....1.5, 2.5 million.......either way you over pay.

There is a simple solution. Just stay home and do not go. Then you do not have to get on here and grip to everyone of us who is proud the University decided to make a positive coaching move. We did not let another school snake OUR coach. Kentucky just did the same thing to keep the same UCLA from getting Coach Cal.

It's an investment in the program. It's may or may not pay for itself but that's what it is. Saban got some eyebrow rasing cash back in the day and it paid off in spades.

Mike Hamilton went another direction and went repeatedly cheap. He darn near drained our resources by going cheap.
Ruined colleg athletics

I can't help but think you would have had no problem if we paid Bruce Pearl $4.7 million to replace Barnes, had he gone to UCLA.

Am I right or wrong?

Let’s pay the janitor $100k to coach and have we can all have fun, amirite?

Reactions: jakez4ut
The rationalization of terribly overpaying a coach with an average tourney record who wasn't won anything at UT is amusing.

To then consider they are rationalizing for a coach that just bent us over a barrel is sad.

Reactions: 08Vol and treali94

Probably one of the first to complain when they were going the cheap route for coaches.

Reactions: Pappy and JohnD13
It’s refreshing to finally have a coach another school was trying to lure away, in any sport.

Reactions: jakez4ut

VN Store

Back