UCLA Didn’t Talk To Fulmer

Nerwen Aldarion

Tennessee Girl

People are talking about this like it’s a big deal, anyone with more knowledge able to explain why this is a problem?65F439C6-6595-4B18-8D34-B3BA8F988DA9.png2592DFCA-987D-49B2-BABC-DD638E62419F.png

Last edited:
It's pretty standard practice in these situations to speak with the AD first.

Now, if I were a coach and my AD denied me the chance to speak with another school that came calling, that would be another problem entirely. But if UCLA's AD really went completely around Fulmer to approach Barnes ... let's just say I'm not at all surprised their search has been a dumpster fire.

Their AD is apparently under some pressure and may be on the way out. What is it they say about pressure revealing character rather than building it? Guess his deficit in character has been revealed.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
They may have used a search firm. That gets you around asking permission. We’ve done it plenty of times.

Basic etiquette. I commented on another thread “what’s so special about UCLA’s AD?” This was in response to some typical Fulmer bashing. Our AD knows how to be one.

They may have used a search firm. That gets you around asking permission. We’ve done it plenty of times.
I’ve never heard of us not asking for permission. If they were ever to say no, you don’t let that stop you...but they don’t. It’s decency.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

It gets complicated because Barnes doesn’t have an agent. The typical back channels don’t work in that case.

It’s a common courtesy to notify the AD that you wish to interview the coach. It’s a fair practice that gives the AD the chance to try to keep the coach if he/she wants. What UCLA did was basically try to steal Barnes like a thief in the night but given their desperation at this point it’s not surprising.

It’s a common courtesy to notify the AD that you wish to interview the coach. It’s a fair practice that gives the AD the chance to try to keep the coach if he/she wants. What UCLA did was basically try to steal Barnes like a thief in the night but given their desperation at this point it’s not surprising.
And Barnes obliged. Must have been the Christian thing to do.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Wonder why this appears to be the etiquette in college sports? Can’t recall a prospective employer contacting my current employer prior to interviewing me, only if things got serious and they wanted to verify my employment.

Wonder why this appears to be the etiquette in college sports? Can’t recall a prospective employer contacting my current employer prior to interviewing me, only if things got serious and they wanted to verify my employment.
Well it is that way in college, and F UCLA. GBO!!!!!!

I think that was pretty much a given back when greed comes from the university, players, and millionaire coaches. I read an article a while back about how the TexTec coach now was at Nevada and the AD called Nevada AD and told her I think that he was hiring the coach. She said you have not asked permission and he said he did not have to and he had already talked to Chris Brand and he was coming to TT. No loyalty among thieves anywhere now. Not sure had Barnes got to UCLA if Phil and been asked or not but I would have hoped so. Don't say this deal with Barnes was not about money because it she looked it to many on VN! JMHO as always!

Reactions: rocketskates

VN Store

Back