JGs arm strength.

I would say that contributed. I would also say he was nowhere near where a 3rd year QB should be in those things.

Sixth in sacks is not "putrid" and especially with a QB that either couldn't or wasn't allowed to throw hot reads to the short middle.... a QB whose best strength was long developing plays that didn't require him to think quickly or make good pre-snap reads.

I've never said that the OL didn't have issues. At times, those guys just looked stupid with missed assignments. Other times... they just got physically abused by mediocre DL's. But the whole notion that JG was nothing but a victim of their poor play is pretty ridiculous. He didn't help them.
JG threw 82% of the passes that we threw as a team last year (JG 246 attempts, Chryst 51 attempts)
JG accounted for 96% of the sacks as a QB last year (JG was sacked 22 times, Chryst was sacked 1 time)

Lots of reasons for that, some of which are not JG's fault. But he certainly appears to have some of the blame to me.

it was awful. If they were 6th in sacks, it's because we didn't throw it very much.

JG could have helped them out at times, but I've rarely seen a collective group whiff on protections as often as they did. And then to compound things, we couldn't run the ball either. There were times that I don't know how Helton chose a play.

I don't differ with you much on the OL. I differ with you fairly significantly on JG.

He can make all of the throws. The areas needing serious improvement have nothing to do with that. Hopefully Chaney can get those turned around.

I’m just sick of all the hate. The man put up the best numbers since Bray probably yet anywhere you look on this board: hate. Up until the Line fell apart he was absolutely balling and then his body gave out. Chaney will absolutely help this kid and the offense as a whole will Be night and day.

Reactions: TC 83
I’m just sick of all the hate. The man put up the best numbers since Bray probably yet anywhere you look on this board: hate. Up until the Line fell apart he was absolutely balling and then his body gave out. Chaney will absolutely help this kid and the offense as a whole will Be night and day.

Now, now, fella. If you're sick, take two aspirin and call Freak in the morning.

IMHO, it is more often than not because he throws a half count late. I actually love to watch him throw the long ball.
My put was more from the fact that he has gotten hit so much he is beginning to run that clock in his head too fast and when he sees a receiver break open for an instant, he flings it and isn't set. Ergo the long throws are a little short whereas if he had a spec more time to throw, he could step into the throw and get it out and over the defenders head......JMO.

My put was more from the fact that he has gotten hit so much he is beginning to run that clock in his head too fast and when he sees a receiver break open for an instant, he flings it and isn't set. Ergo the long throws are a little short whereas if he had a spec more time to throw, he could step into the throw and get it out and over the defenders head......JMO.
I think you're right. His internal clock is moving a little faster than it should because he knows a **** storm is about to rain down upon him.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Receivers are not fast enough to go over the top of the d backs. If he throws the ball over the top most of them would be picked or knocked away. He consistently put the ball shallow outside so only the receiver could catch it. That throw is what many are calling 50/50 balls. I would say they are not based on how many of them were picked off vs how many were caught. Those are perfectly thrown designed passes.

Reactions: k-town_king
I think you're right. His internal clock is moving a little faster than it should because he knows a **** storm is about to rain down upon him.
You really can't have an honest conversation, can you? You engage in EXTREME exaggeration when it comes to JG getting pressure on every play. He didn't. No QB can expect more than about 2.5 seconds to deliver the ball.... he makes decisions much slower than that TOO OFTEN.

The OL wasn't great.... but they weren't JG's only problem. He threw short often when he had no significant pressure.

Receivers are not fast enough to go over the top of the d backs. If he throws the ball over the top most of them would be picked or knocked away. He consistently put the ball shallow outside so only the receiver could catch it. That throw is what many are calling 50/50 balls. I would say they are not based on how many of them were picked off vs how many were caught. Those are perfectly thrown designed passes.
Not true... and it doesn't take great speed to get deep.

Some of those passes were intentional. Others were not.

Who "hates" him? No one. I see you and others "hating" the OL. They're blamed for EVERYTHING... Now KBVol has thrown the WR's under the bus too.

I don't hate JG. I don't hate the OL. Both need to improve SIGNIFICANTLY over what they've done the past two years. Not a little... A LOT. He put up "numbers" on an O that was anemic in part because he was easy to defend. He put up "numbers" as OC's limited him to mitigate his decision making and D reading deficiencies along with the weaknesses of the OL. He put up numbers while not being able to string 1st down's together or put points on the board when close in.

Again, I don't "hate" him... he has a ton of talent. I just want to see him master the mental part of the game and perform. I will be happy for him if he can do that... I just won't pretend his weaknesses do not exist while throwing everyone else under the bus.

lol. In what universe are you watching UT football and thinking JG was "balling"??? hahahaha. Was that before the 4 win season? During the 4 win season? Before the 5 win season? During the 5 win season? OR are you talking about his practice videos? Yeah, he balls out during practice...

You really can't have an honest conversation, can you? You engage in EXTREME exaggeration when it comes to JG getting pressure on every play. He didn't. No QB can expect more than about 2.5 seconds to deliver the ball.... he makes decisions much slower than that TOO OFTEN.

The OL wasn't great.... but they weren't JG's only problem. He threw short often when he had no significant pressure.

I can't have a conversation? I wasn't even talking to you? I was simply telling another poster I agree with him. Why you so upset?

Reactions: Behr and 82_VOL_83
I can't have a conversation? I wasn't even talking to you? I was simply telling another poster I agree with him. Why you so upset?
Apparently you can't... without blaming the OL for all of JG's problems.

I'm not "upset". This is an open "forum". If you don't want people responding... try texts or email.

I'm not "upset". This is an open "forum". If you don't want people responding... try texts or email.
You accused me of being unable to have an honest conversation when I wasnt even TALKING to you. Also, I didn't even mention the OL in that post. I didn't put blame on anyone. So what the hell are you talking about?

I didn't say anything about you should or shouldnt respond. You're legit making **** up. I didnt say ANY of that. Nor did I even imply it. So whats your problem, dude?

I understand what you were saying and agree wholeheartedly. His internal clock is running in high speed. He is probably counting one one thousand, two one thousand and leaving off the thousand. There is no reason given for the hurt raining down......just the simple fact that he was or felt rushed.

He never throws off his back foot...stands in there and takes the hit, unlike Dormady. And if he ever throws off balance it’s because he’s having to move off his spot in the pocket to keep from getting his head ripped off in under 2-3 seconds.
OK

I understand what you were saying and agree wholeheartedly. His internal clock is running in high speed. He is probably counting one one thousand, two one thousand and leaving off the thousand. There is no reason given for the hurt raining down......just the simple fact that he was or felt rushed.
Yeah. Thats all I was saying.

Not true... and it doesn't take great speed to get deep.

Some of those passes were intentional. Others were not.
Did you watch the film I posted? When the receivers were over the top of the db’s he threw the ball over the top. When they were not he threw the ball out and behind where only the receiver could catch it. Did you see any of the passes in the middle of the field?
The o-line rarely gave him time to get the ball downfield so he took what was open. I am not sure you give him enough or any credit to recognizing what would be open given what the defense showed. His completion percentage shows he was able to get the ball out to an open receiver despite the poor blocking. He deserve credit for that. He also deserves credit for holding the ball too long and taking stupid untimely sacks. But to say he cant make reads, is an opinion based off no real facts. The o-line does not get the credit for being 6th in sacks allowed. They were terrible and the running game reflects that also.
BTW- Who did you say you were related to on the o-line? I hope he improves this year.

Who "hates" him? No one. I see you and others "hating" the OL. They're blamed for EVERYTHING... Now KBVol has thrown the WR's under the bus too.

I don't hate JG. I don't hate the OL. Both need to improve SIGNIFICANTLY over what they've done the past two years. Not a little... A LOT. He put up "numbers" on an O that was anemic in part because he was easy to defend. He put up "numbers" as OC's limited him to mitigate his decision making and D reading deficiencies along with the weaknesses of the OL. He put up numbers while not being able to string 1st down's together or put points on the board when close in.

Again, I don't "hate" him... he has a ton of talent. I just want to see him master the mental part of the game and perform. I will be happy for him if he can do that... I just won't pretend his weaknesses do not exist while throwing everyone else under the bus.

It’s fair calling out the OL they were bad all year. JG puts up the best numbers in years and all of a sudden he’s “not the guy”. I don’t know the names but be honest there are plenty of posters that hate on him.

JG has good arm strength. His problem has been lack of an offensive line which makes you uncomfortable throwing in the pocket.
I don't think he by any stretch is an elite QB , and he has to bring a lot more to table to win in SEC . He says all the right stuff , and talks good game about how the new OC
he has freedom check out of play , and it sounds good , BUT YOU HAVE TO SHOW SOMETHING ON SATURDAYS I'm still waiting to see that and hope it happens this
season...………………...GO VOLS

VN Store

Back