JGs arm strength.

I remember when JG first got on campus it was reported that he threw the balls too hard in practice and he would have to learn how to not throw it as hard.

Also a personal theory of mine is the Butch wanted the JG to give our receivers a chance at the balls so he had him under throw them a little. In 2017 our passing offense pretty much just consisted of throwing the ball high to our receivers and hoping they could make a play.

Some of his deep throws seemed to be a little short last season, maybe because he didn't have time to step into the throws deep. When the defense is in your face you don't get to plant and throw.

The main reason is because none of our WRs have deep threat speed, couldn’t get separation....so JG was essentially throwing 50/50 balls and letting our big, slower WRs go up and get em.

And obviously, you’re right about him not having time or space to step into his throws.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
I remember when JG first got on campus it was reported that he threw the balls too hard in practice and he would have to learn how to not throw it as hard.

Also a personal theory of mine is the Butch wanted the JG to give our receivers a chance at the balls so he had him under throw them a little. In 2017 our passing offense pretty much just consisted of throwing the ball high to our receivers and hoping they could make a play.

It was the same thing last year if we were throwing anything deeper than the safeties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volunteersforlife
Hmmm. I'd reserve judgment until JG hits the OP in the mouth, using the corkscrew punch. After examing his mouth for possible missing teeth and consciousness, I'd rate JG's arm strength given how the punch is delivered. No other assessment gauge is available for rating arm strength, except for my expert medical analysis. assisted of course, by four straight 6oz. shots of 1937 Glenfiddich Scotch. Afterward, perhaps drunkenly singing strands of Are Ye Sleepin Maggie.

may have the best arm strength since Bray, which has been previously mentioned, wasn't able to stand in
the pocket for long without being under pressure, will be interested to see how his deep throws succeed
with an improved line and veteran receivers

Reactions: k-town_king

The o-line was terrible. Look at the hits he took when trying to let the receivers get deep. I do not believe arm strength is an issue at all.

Reactions: k-town_king
Arm strength is relevant. Very so. But, it is the coaching that makes the difference. Tyler Bray had a cannon and so did a few others. Rick Clausen would take an entire quarter for the ball to leave his hand and touch the receiver on an out pattern. Therefore, it is just as much a mental thing as it is strength.

My personal observation: He has the arm strength to whip it downfield with the best of them, but his footwork and body technique was terrible last year and he didn't have adequate coaching to get it fixed. Affected the distance on his throws, creating the appearance of a weak arm.

My expectation: Chaney fixed it in like 5 minutes. JG will be a much improved QB this year under his tutelage. A la Crompton under Kiffin. Yes, I really expect that kind of improvement.

GBO brothers

Reactions: perico
He can make all the throws.

Quit looking for another reason to hate on the kid.
He can make all of the throws. The areas needing serious improvement have nothing to do with that. Hopefully Chaney can get those turned around.

The o-line was terrible. Look at the hits he took when trying to let the receivers get deep. I do not believe arm strength is an issue at all.
The OL in those highlights was not "terrible". They were 6th in sacks allowed last year which is not "terrible". I have looked and cannot find SEC stats on hurries or knock-downs.

Arm strength isn't an issue. At times the OL was a significant issue. His reads and slow decision making were often a problem. Also his either being disallowed or lacking the confidence to throw slants and short throws to the middle of the field made the OL's job more difficult. He has to be able to hit the middle underneath stuff when teams stunt or blitz up the middle. If he can't, DC's will bring more than the OL can account for.

3JYpT89.gif

Lol. I mean there’s literally a thread a few spots down he replied to that states “arm talent is not an issue” in the title.

Reactions: BeardedVol
"How good is JG at Go Fish?"

VN: "Really good but we don't know cuz his Oline."
Lol. That’s an AWFUL analogy, doesn’t remotely apply. Last time I played “go fish”, I didn’t need 10 other guys doing their jobs proficiently to help me keep from getting punched in the face before making my move in 2-3 seconds time.

The OL in those highlights was not "terrible". They were 6th in sacks allowed last year which is not "terrible". I have looked and cannot find SEC stats on hurries or knock-downs.

Arm strength isn't an issue. At times the OL was a significant issue. His reads and slow decision making were often a problem. Also his either being disallowed or lacking the confidence to throw slants and short throws to the middle of the field made the OL's job more difficult. He has to be able to hit the middle underneath stuff when teams stunt or blitz up the middle. If he can't, DC's will bring more than the OL can account for.
Lol. So the OL wasn’t awful? Come on 18....they were putrid. As a matter of fact, one can easily make the case that the reason they “allowed fewer sacks” is because....wait for it....JG was much better at reading defenses, knowing where to go, and getting the ball out quicker. There, chew on that for a minute.

That o-line was brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBVol
That o-line was brutal.
Again, they had issues but 6th in the SEC in sacks isn't "brutal" and at least a good portion of the hits had to do with JG holding the ball and not being able to make good, quick decisions. They were undersized and missed a lot of assignments especially early. But JG's weaknesses made them look even worse.

Lol. So the OL wasn’t awful? Come on 18....they were putrid. As a matter of fact, one can easily make the case that the reason they “allowed fewer sacks” is because....wait for it....JG was much better at reading defenses, knowing where to go, and getting the ball out quicker. There, chew on that for a minute.
I would say that contributed. I would also say he was nowhere near where a 3rd year QB should be in those things.

Sixth in sacks is not "putrid" and especially with a QB that either couldn't or wasn't allowed to throw hot reads to the short middle.... a QB whose best strength was long developing plays that didn't require him to think quickly or make good pre-snap reads.

I've never said that the OL didn't have issues. At times, those guys just looked stupid with missed assignments. Other times... they just got physically abused by mediocre DL's. But the whole notion that JG was nothing but a victim of their poor play is pretty ridiculous. He didn't help them.

Again, they had issues but 6th in the SEC in sacks isn't "brutal" and at least a good portion of the hits had to do with JG holding the ball and not being able to make good, quick decisions. They were undersized and missed a lot of assignments especially early. But JG's weaknesses made them look even worse.
it was awful. If they were 6th in sacks, it's because we didn't throw it very much.

JG could have helped them out at times, but I've rarely seen a collective group whiff on protections as often as they did. And then to compound things, we couldn't run the ball either. There were times that I don't know how Helton chose a play.

VN Store

Back