ND coach. MUFFET

This thread seems to have evolved into a us/them (women/men or men/women which ever).

My question is how many women coach mens basketball teams? Don't know why I bring this up, but just wonder. This could be something else to pis- and moan about.

There is one assistant coach who is female in D1. I’m not sure of the stats at lower levels of college.

Just food for thought when is a transgendered human going to be a head coach? Where's the PC police or outrage? So many issues get overblown. Can women coach? Obviously, without question as Pat Summitt alone proved that point. Should women coach men, a good thought provoking question. But in this day and age Muffet is wrong saying point blank she will not hire another male. Let a male say point blank those words and see where it leads.....

You seem to be the PC police in this instance, so you have a lot of nerve bringing that into the conversation. 😂😂

It seems like anything that goes against the norm of rewarding straight white men is always “too PC”. 🙄

Reactions: BUBear and spojo13
The pay gap in women's coaching, compared to men's is in direct correlation with the difference in revenue each sport generates. That's not discrimination, its straight up economics.

As far as how few women are coaching in men's basketball, sorry but the reality is most male basketball players are not interested in being coached by women. Deal!
The other simple fact is that there is a larger pool of men wanting to be coaches in all likelihood.

I guarantee neuroscience didn't teach you any such thing :rolleyes:

So why so sure I wonder?

Neuroscience has long held the equal ability for reason, analysis and understanding between men and women.

If your trying to skew the intended meaning to avoid accepting or disputing the underlying point, then yes, neuroscience currently is actively exploring the anatomical/physiological differences between men and women. One merely need to listen to NPR to hear some exciting discoveries in this area. Again though, that runs afoul of the point.

Are you questioning that any fan of the Lady Vols, a team from Tennessee, would have bothered to take a Neuroscience course? Well that seems offensive to all lady Vol fans and Tennessee.

No, I bet you’re insinuating that I could not possibly have learned anything via the study of neuroscience, which seems a rather ridiculous point to make given you know nothing about me. Taking 400 level neuroscience courses is a rather common occurrence. Graduate neuroscience courses are not all that rare either. As a physical therapist, I have taken these courses just to step foot in a clinic. To specialize in the treatment of neurological patients I have attended multiple CE opportunities on topics incorporating continued study of neuroscience.

Neuroscience is real and all kinds of people are interested in it, rely on it for jobs and for the betterment of society. So, I am unsure as to why it begets an eye roll?

Some body please tell this woman, ND head coach .M to stop talking too much.. She's going to talk her self into a mess. According to ND head coach, she's going to stop hiring men. Some thing Is wrong with her. Looks like winning a couple of championships makes her run her mouth. Pat was a high class, and would never say such thing. Even Baylor Kim condemned her comment.
I figured she would keep hiring men since at the end of her speech she said “people like to hire people who look like them”

Dude. I highly recommend you check (pardon the pun) the world of chess. There's a men's and women's world champion for a reason. Female grandmasters can't compete with male grandmasters. Sure, some can beat some, but the best woman in the world has no business on the board with Magnus Carlson. It is a purely intellectual game. Many of these ladies have the same coaches and training the men have.

I echo the poster above who stated "neuroscience taught you no such thing." We are not equal. We should have equal rights and opportunities, but it is a fallacy that men and women are equal in just about any way.

Have at me. I could care less about worms escaping the can I just opened.

Ahhhh. Anecdotal comparisons. So reliable. Socialization starts at day one. Relying on the world of chess is acceptable, whilst denying the field of neuroscience.

Ahhhh. Anecdotal comparisons. So reliable. Socialization starts at day one. Relying on the world of chess is acceptable, whilst denying the field of neuroscience.
Neuroscience taught you male and female brains function in exactly the same way? Give me details, please. You wish to blame every disparity displayed across the world of anecdotal evidence by "socialization begins at birth?"

I assure you my wife runs mental circles around me in an argument because of the neural connections in her brain - which is wired differently than my male brain. However, she is frequently paralyzed in situations where she is required to ignore the flood of info bombarding her brain and simply make the best decision in an instance. I, like most makes, specialize in that. But that's just more anecdotal evidence, what do I know. I await your neuroscience-informed details about why male brains are identical to female brains.
PS. I couldn't care a whole lot less about using could care less.

Some body please tell this woman, ND head coach .M to stop talking too much.. She's going to talk her self into a mess. According to ND head coach, she's going to stop hiring men. Some thing Is wrong with her. Looks like winning a couple of championships makes her run her mouth. Pat was a high class, and would never say such thing. Even Baylor Kim condemned her comment.

You are 100% right, both legally and morally. This extreme feminist position of the Mouth That Roared is both ignorant and actually very counterproductive, because it feeds self-justification for people who wish to exclude females from consideration.

You need to stop paraphrasing and post actual links and quotes.

Mulkey's hiring mantra: 'Best person for job'

TAMPA, Fla. -- Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey on Saturday said she empathized with and supported what Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said earlier this week about the need for more opportunities for women in coaching.

Mulkey, however, added her own nuance to the discussion.

"I understand her points, without a doubt," Mulkey said Saturday, as the coaches in Sunday's national championship game addressed the media. "But I'm of the belief, I want the best person for the job. I have a son, and I would be honored if my son wanted to coach next to me.

"[McGraw] has a son. I think she would be honored if he wanted to coach women's basketball. So I tend to stay away from saying the word 'never.' Bringing attention to what needs to be fixed, but don't give an absolute answer. Because I don't want to hire somebody just to be hiring them. I want to hire somebody that can help us be successful."

For her part, McGraw clarified she wasn't opposed to men being hired in women's basketball as a general concept, but she said there has to be a spotlight on the large disparity in basketball coaching opportunities for women across the board.

McGraw's assistant coaches are all women, and those are jobs, she says, that she prefers to have women fill. Especially since those coaching positions really have not been made available to women in men's basketball.

"I just hired a male video coordinator. I have just hired a male strength coach. I'm not opposed to hiring men," McGraw said. "I just think that women need opportunities, and those opportunities right now are going to men.

"We keep looking at ways to get our young graduates and alums into the game. There's no room for them in the game. Women are leaving the game because of the lack of a work-life balance. I think we can do a lot more to promote women as coaches. I think that's really important, particularly when you have a male head coach."

To that end, McGraw complimented UConn's Geno Auriemma, whose Huskies lost to Notre Dame in Friday's national semifinals.

"I think Geno has done a great job," McGraw said. "He always has an all-female staff. I think that's a great way to bring more women into the game.

"I think we definitely need more women athletic directors, people doing the hiring. Head coaches are doing the hiring of their staffs. When you look and see more men than women on a woman's staff, I think that's not the optics that I would like to see."

When McGraw's and Mulkey's teams meet in Sunday's NCAA final, it will be the first time since 2012 -- when it was the same two coaches and programs -- that the championship game will feature two women coaches.

Overall, since the NCAA tournament began for women in 1982, this will be the 13th title game in which both teams' head coaches are women. That doesn't include 1983, when Southern Cal was coached by Linda Sharp and Louisiana Tech had co-head coaches Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore.

There have been four title games in which both head coaches were men.

Mulkey, a player for that 1983 Louisiana Tech team, has had a male assistant in Bill Brock for 16 of her 19 seasons at Baylor.

"As a female and a mother of a son and a daughter, I'm very careful, you know, saying 'never,'" Mulkey said. "But I do understand what [McGraw] is saying. Statistics are glaring."
It doesn't need to be clarified.. the quote I believe was "I will not hire a man to be on my staff".. Imagine the nightly news if a man said that about a woman!!!

The hypocrisy is hilarious.

“Let a man say this about a woman.” Ummm they don’t have to. Which is literally the whole point. That it’s understood that women don’t and won’t grt the opportunity to coach in men’s sports.

Y’all are just mad that Muffet has more balls than most men’s basketball coaches and isn’t afraid of saying something that might hurt the egos of the men she is talking about. I bet y’all got triggered over the Gillette commercial, too. 😂😂

“Let a man say this about a woman.” Ummm they don’t have to. Which is literally the whole point. That it’s understood that women don’t and won’t grt the opportunity to coach in men’s sports.

Y’all are just mad that Muffet has more balls than most men’s basketball coaches and isn’t afraid of saying something that might hurt the egos of the men she is talking about. I bet y’all got triggered over the Gillette commercial, too. 😂😂
shaq.gif

So basically what you're saying is two wrongs make a right? What's good for the goose is good for the gander? Gotcha.

It doesn't need to be clarified.. the quote I believe was "I will not hire a man to be on my staff".. Imagine the nightly news if a man said that about a woman!!!
Nope that is the paraphrase. She was asked if she would hire a male assistant coach on her staff and she said no. And then she elaborated:

Up until seven years ago, McGraw always had one male assistant on her staff. At the time, it felt obligatory: The AAU basketball ranks were filled with male coaches, and the scouting services were run by men. In order to have ready access to that network, McGraw figured that she’d better have a man on her staff.
And for a time, she admits, she found the optics appealing. “I kind of liked the idea that a woman was in charge,” McGraw said. “My team could see that like, I’m the boss. Yeah, he’s working for me.”

Interestingly, in the seven years since McGraw assembled her first all-female coaching staff, Notre Dame has made four Final Four appearances, three national championship games, and last year overcame the loss of four players to season-ending knee injuries to win the national championship game on back-to-back buzzer beaters by Arike Ogunbowale. In this year’s NCAA tournament, her team is once again a No. 1 seed — and slightly favored to repeat as national champions.

Looks like those all women staff have been most qualified for ND.

Tara Van deVeer also has the same policy:
I actually think that all basketball staffs, male and female, would benefit from having both men and women on them, but because we’re not included in men’s basketball, I feel a responsibility to help develop women in women’s basketball,” .

Reactions: travis929
So basically what you're saying is two wrongs make a right? What's good for the goose is good for the gander? Gotcha.

Pretty much, yeah.

I mean, until women get equal opportunity coaching men (which doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon), I just don't see anything wrong with what she said.

Reactions: travis929

VN Store

Back