Jim Chaney explains why he left Georgia for Tennessee

Regardless of the "why" he came back to UT, the fact is that Coach Chaney will be good for this team. If he can get the Vol offense anywhere near where he got the UGA offense, the UT defense will improve. And the wins will come.

We're a year away, two at most, from the SEC Championship game.

Go Vols.

But, but I thought UGA was the bestest team and Athens was like the most awesomest most specialest place ever in the history of everything. That, and Smart is the most brilliantest coach of any sport at any time in history?

Standing by for our resident UGA trolls to stop by and offer a passive aggressive response to this video in the form of a back handed compliment to Chaney and his decision. It’s what they do.

Our most successful OC’s in recent history (dating back to Fulmer and definitely post Cut), have a history with teaching OL techniques. I think it helps meld the offense...synergy or some shizz like that. Instead of your blocking and skill players almost operating separately, it makes for a more decisive, quick hitting attack imo. I think under Chaney we see more big plays and much better short yardage conversion percentage. Better players see themselves playing in those kinds of offenses...so even better recruiting classes.

Reactions: weallvol
But, but I thought UGA was the bestest team and Athens was like the most awesomest most specialest place ever in the history of everything. That, and Smart is the most brilliantest coach of any sport at any time in history?

Standing by for our resident UGA trolls to stop by and offer a passive aggressive response to this video in the form of a back handed compliment to Chaney and his decision. It’s what they do.

Not all UGA fans fit your model. I'm a VFL, first, foremost, and forever. I've also lived in Georgia now longer than I lived in the Holy Land (TN), so yeah...UGA has kind of grown on me. I have three favorite teams, in this order: UT, UGA, and whoever is playing Florida. So I'm a UGA fan 364 days out of the year.

But yeah, you get up around Athens, and you'd think UGA has won more Natty's than Bama and UT combined. FYI, UGA is 2 (consensus) + 4 (claimed) for a total of 6. UT has six, with two of those coming on a majority / plurality basis. Either way, UT holds sway just based on the "undisputed" championships. They might be the better team right now, but the better overall program they are not.

Kirby's a good coach. He has a solid staff. Chaney was a part of that staff. UGA recruits extremely well. They are, at present, the top challenger to Bama in the SEC. It is what it is. But Chaney was a major get for UT, and all you need do is look at the continued progression and improvement of the UT staff and the recruiting that Pruitt & Co. are doing to realize that the day is coming...and soon...when UT will compete for SEC Championships again. And more. UGA will never be an SEC basement dweller, but within a year...two at most...they'll have to deal with UT in order to win the SEC East.

Took a long while to bottom out. The climb back up will take time as well. But we're on our way.

Go Vols.

With UGA losing both of their coordinators, they are going to take a step back. CKS is not Nick Saban, he can't just plug and play with his coordinators like Saban has managed to do, so far. I believe UGA will take a significant step backwards this season and hopefully we can level the field a little more with recruiting and start contending for the east in 20'. I don't believe Dan Mullen can maintain dominance in the east, either. I really do believe CJP will get us back to an elite status within the next couple years. JMO

I think it will be a three horse race in the East. Any half decent coach can do well at Florida and Mullen has shown he is above average. Almost the same for Georgia and thus far, Smart has shown he is good. For Pruitt to exceed here, he has to be much better than those two. We just don’t stock the same level of instate talent.

I think it will be a three horse race in the East. Any half decent coach can do well at Florida and Mullen has shown he is above average. Almost the same for Georgia and thus far, Smart has shown he is good. For Pruitt to exceed here, he has to be much better than those two. We just don’t stock the same level of instate talent.
3 horse race in the East? Who’s the 3rd team?

You saying Tennessee? Why?

Reactions: 08Vol
There are more and more kids wanting to go out of state for college every year. Going to the Home State College is no longer a give me in this day and time. We poach several good/elite players from Georgia (among other states) every year.

There are more and more kids wanting to go out of state for college every year. Going to the Home State College is no longer a give me in this day and time. We poach several good/elite players from Georgia (among other states) every year.

We used to poach some of Georgia's best players back in the day! Dion Grant (I believe was from Georgia), Jamal Lewis and many others. Richt changed the game back when he got there. I can't remember the assistant coaches name right off hand but when Richt got there he hired him from our staff. May have been the RB's coach but not sure. When he did that, Georgia started keeping their players in state.

3 horse race in the East? Who’s the 3rd team?

You saying Tennessee? Why?

Yes, I am saying we are as of right now. I know Ky had a good year and Vandy has had our number the past few and so has Mizzou but that just isn't going to last forever. Florida is just rife with talent. Even with terrible and horrendous coaching, Florida was not a losing program. Georgia isn't that much further behind. Even when they had Donnan and Goff, they were not poor teams, by far. We had Georgia's number for years because of their coaching versus ours and we were getting some of their best players. Smart has changed that game, I believe. Actually, Richt did that when he came in. Shoot, look at what Zook did with the players left over from Spurrier and then it didn't take but, like, one year for Urban to turn Florida back into what Spurrier had them. Recruiting has a tremendous amount of do with winning. But, coaching is just as important!

As long as both those programs have decent to average coaching, it is going to be difficult for us to revert back to the late 80's and 90's as far as success and dominance.

Does TN still have the Hall Tax? That's the one that always gets the retirees moving there.

Hell if I know. You got internet access, look it up for yourself if you want to know. Google is your friend.

There are going to be, at the very least, moments next year when Chaney is the most hated man in the state of Tennessee. The nation's highest paid OC has an offensive line that, until proven otherwise, is a sieve. I hope those moments are at least interspersed with some moments where he looks like a genius.

Yes, I am saying we are as of right now. I know Ky had a good year and Vandy has had our number the past few and so has Mizzou but that just isn't going to last forever. Florida is just rife with talent. Even with terrible and horrendous coaching, Florida was not a losing program. Georgia isn't that much further behind. Even when they had Donnan and Goff, they were not poor teams, by far. We had Georgia's number for years because of their coaching versus ours and we were getting some of their best players. Smart has changed that game, I believe. Actually, Richt did that when he came in. Shoot, look at what Zook did with the players left over from Spurrier and then it didn't take but, like, one year for Urban to turn Florida back into what Spurrier had them. Recruiting has a tremendous amount of do with winning. But, coaching is just as important!

As long as both those programs have decent to average coaching, it is going to be difficult for us to revert back to the late 80's and 90's as far as success and dominance.

When the last race the horse ran and he finished dead last? We ain't anywhere close to being considered a three horse race with Florida and Georgia. I don't care if our recruiting class includes 5 Kryptonians.

With UGA losing both of their coordinators, they are going to take a step back. CKS is not Nick Saban, he can't just plug and play with his coordinators like Saban has managed to do, so far. I believe UGA will take a significant step backwards this season and hopefully we can level the field a little more with recruiting and start contending for the east in 20'. I don't believe Dan Mullen can maintain dominance in the east, either. I really do believe CJP will get us back to an elite status within the next couple years. JMO
Nah, they are returning too much talent on both sides of the ball. It's not like they are completely replacing their staffs as Saban has had to do multiple times. They promoted from within. They'll be better this year than last year, as long as Fromm stays healthy. They could take a step back in 2020 if everybody goes pro that can. Incidentally, I think Chaney's impact will be felt more here in 2020 than next year. That's Chaney's MO, his offenses generally get more and more productive the longer he is stationary. Glad to have him back too. Also Kirby has a bowl cut.

When the last race the horse ran and he finished dead last? We ain't anywhere close to being considered a three horse race with Florida and Georgia. I don't care if our recruiting class includes 5 Kryptonians.
You gotta love the resiliency of our fanbase though, some of these posts totally channel The Diary of Anne Frank, they continue to expect good things. It's like the last 20 years never happened. Lord bless us, every one.

Last edited:

I know both Georgia and Florida are gonna be the top 2 teams and they’ll battle it out to see who plays Alabama in the SECCG. It’s those two and nobody else in the East imo.

I’m asking why you think there will be a 3rd team to challenge them and why in God’s name you think it will be lowly Tennessee?

Edit: regarding your last sentence there, I certainly agree that we had some excellent teams in the late 80s and mid 90s, that’s indisputable...they were some of our best teams ever. However, I’d dispute that we were ever dominant, given that during that time period, we had a better team in our own division that routinely beat us and won more conference titles than we did. I’d love to see us get back to where we could go on a 45-5 run, championships or no championships, but I fear we’ll never see anything like those days again.

Last edited:
I know both Georgia and Florida are gonna be the top 2 teams and they’ll battle it out to see who plays Alabama in the SECCG. It’s those two and nobody else in the East imo.

I’m asking why you think there will be a 3rd team to challenge them and why in God’s name you think it will be lowly Tennessee?

Edit: regarding your last sentence there, I certainly agree that we had some excellent teams in the late 80s and mid 90s, that’s indisputable...they were some of our best teams ever. However, I’d dispute that we were ever dominant, given that during that time period, we had a better team in our own division that routinely beat us and won more conference titles than we did. I’d love to see us get back to where we could go on a 45-5 run, championships or no championships, but I fear we’ll never see anything like those days again.

KB, my ole buddy. As long as there are at least three teams in the SECe there will always be a third team to challenge. As for right now and the forseable future, that team is us. That is/was my point. We are not at Fla & Ga level. Those two programs have way more going for them than we do!

Last edited:
Reactions: KBVol
great to hear him continously bring up the fact that we're trying to be more physical

I think the staff we have will pay off bigtime in recruiting and also developing players (or at least I hope!)

Reactions: weallvol
KB, my ole buddy. As long as there are at least three teams in the SECe there will always be a third team to challenge. As for right now and the forseable future, that team is us. That is/was my point. We are not at Fla & Ga level. Those two programs have way more going for them than we do!
I can see both Georgia and Florida winning 10 or more games this year and whoever winds up in third place winning no more than 7 games. I just haven’t seen anything from Tennessee that tells me we’ll be that 7-win team. And I certainly agree with your last statement, both programs have far more going for them than lowly Tennessee does.

VN Store

Back