Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

Sadly, Jeff Walz is no longer being considered. I'm afraid we'll get a former Lady Vol, not someone who has taken a team to the final four.
I hope it wont be another sh*tty bargain basement hire:mad: I hope this is just another rumor, if it isn't, the said bargain basement head coach will have to win right out of the gate to get my support:rolleyes:

tumblr_nola2u0ftP1tvh39bo4_250.gif

Thank you for that information! Just curious how would you think the deal at MTSU with father and son be?

I thought the rule only applied to spouses. Not children.

Remember, Pat was considering hiring Tyler as an assistant at one point. She wouldn't have been able to do that with a rule in place that forbid it.

Their AD, Vince Tyra, made a comment that they “intended to keep him” which says to me that not only is he being considered still, but he’s definitely interested. I’m sure they’ll try to throw more money at him to keep him, but if he’s unhappy there, chances are good he’s looking to leave regardless.

He could have just as easily said “Jeff has no plans to be coaching anywhere but Louisville next season.”

Their AD, Vince Tyra, made a comment that they “intended to keep him” which says to me that not only is he being considered still, but he’s definitely interested. I’m sure they’ll try to throw more money at him to keep him, but if he’s unhappy there chances are good he’s looking to leave regardless.
Tennessee has a great chance to hire Jeff Walz if he's not a happy camper at Louisville

Tennessee has a great chance to hire Jeff Walz if he's not a happy camper at Louisville

I agree. No secret that athletics department has been toxic. Lawsuits everywhere, can’t be a very positive working environment. And like some of the sportscasters have said, the UT job is maybe the biggest job opening in the history of women’s basketball.

Louisville's athletic department is a cesspool

Exactly. Any job is the same in that aspect. If you’re not happy in your current working environment and you’re surrounded by constant chaos and negativity, you leave. Im sure he understands too that if he comes to Tennessee he might take an immediate pay cut, but if he is successful he could be making more here than at Louisville in just a few seasons. Not like he’s probably hurting for the money anyway.

Money doesn’t buy happiness.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

Remember, Pat was considering hiring Tyler as an assistant at one point. She wouldn't have been able to do that with a rule in place that forbid it.
You very well may be right and I asked basically that question to DP12 in the thread. I found this: The Tennessee State Employees Uniform Nepotism Policy Act of 1980 provides in relevant part that, “[w]ithin each governmental entity, no state employees who are relatives shall be placed within the same direct line of supervision whereby one (1) relative is responsible for supervising the job performance .

This tweet is from Walz himself. Sounds a whole heck of a lot like a “thank you and goodbye” to me.

He didn’t mention a single thing about next season which is odd for a head coach in that kind of statement.

He also didn’t thank the Univeristy, just his players and the fans.

Attachments

• 245718B7-2067-47A6-86A9-2E6E2DDB9028.jpeg
    245718B7-2067-47A6-86A9-2E6E2DDB9028.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 99
You very well may be right and I asked basically that question to DP12 in the thread. I found this: The Tennessee State Employees Uniform Nepotism Policy Act of 1980 provides in relevant part that, “[w]ithin each governmental entity, no state employees who are relatives shall be placed within the same direct line of supervision whereby one (1) relative is responsible for supervising the job performance .

You left out the important second part:

Part One: The Tennessee State Employees Uniform Nepotism Policy Act of 1980 provides in relevant part that, “[w]ithin each governmental entity, no state employees who are relatives shall be placed within the same direct line of supervision whereby one (1) relative is responsible for supervising the job performance.

Part Two: Part One applies to anyone NOT named Pat Summitt. Pat can do whatever the hell she wants as a Tennessee Treasure. She’s Pat, for God’s sake. Sheesh.

😀 Well, that’s what it SHOULD have said!

You left out the important second part:

Part One: The Tennessee State Employees Uniform Nepotism Policy Act of 1980 provides in relevant part that, “[w]ithin each governmental entity, no state employees who are relatives shall be placed within the same direct line of supervision whereby one (1) relative is responsible for supervising the job performance.

Part Two: Part One applies to anyone NOT named Pat Summitt. Pat can do whatever the hell she wants as a Tennessee Treasure. She’s Pat, for God’s sake. Sheesh.

😀 Well, that’s what it SHOULD have said!
HOW STUPID IS OUR STATE!!!

This tweet is from Walz himself. Sounds a whole heck of a lot like a “thank you and goodbye” to me.

He didn’t mention a single thing about next season which is odd for a head coach in that kind of statement.

He also didn’t thank the Univeristy, just his players and the fans.

I hope you're right but he did talk about next year in an interview after the game. He gets a bad rep maybe rightfully so but he cares about women basketball , the players ,the community and the fans. That tweet his how he speaks to the fans. Not sure if you saw but he called out the Governor for not wishing his team good luck. The Governor was wishing KY mens Bbball good luck throughout the tourney.

Louisville AD Vince Tyra on Jeff Walz, Tennessee: 'We intend to keep him'

When I read this entire article it sounds to me like Tyra is very nervous. He can’t even come close to matching the resources Jeff would have at his disposal at UT. And what is he talking about with the recruits? In his entire tenure at Louisville Jeff has only been able to draw a handful of top recruits to the program. He could get that many in one season at UT and Jeff knows it, he’s not stupid.

Over the last 10 years the biggest recruits I can think of to attend Louisville are Angel Mccoughtry, Shoni Shimmel, who wasn’t even that highly recruited, Asia Durr and Dana Evans. I’m sure I’m forgetting some that didn’t pan out, but still that’s only 10 high profile recruits, maybe.

Sounds like Tyra’s grasping at straws there to me. Even Holly was pulling in top 5 class at UT, imagine what someone like Jeff could do...

Last edited:
I hope you're right but he did talk about next year in an interview after the game. He gets a bad rep maybe rightfully so but he cares about women basketball , the players ,the community and the fans. That tweet his how he speaks to the fans. Not sure if you saw but he called out the Governor for not wishing his team good luck. The Governor was wishing KY mens Bbball good luck throughout the tourney.

I did see that, I posted in here about it. I think he’s an excellent advocate for the game, not always the most tactful, but he does draw attention to the women’s game. His teams are almost always entertaining to watch too, he puts a good product on the floor.

Louisville AD Vince Tyra on Jeff Walz, Tennessee: 'We intend to keep him'

When I read this entire article it sounds to me like Tyra is very nervous. He can’t even come close to matching the resources Jeff would have at his disposal at UT. And what is he talking about with the recruits? In his entire tenure at Louisville Jeff has only been able to draw a handful of top recruits to the program. He could get that many in one season at UT and Jeff knows if, he’s not stupid.

Over the last 10 years the biggest recruits I can think of to attend Louisville are Angel Mccoughtry, Shoni Shimmel, who wasn’t even that highly recruited, Asia Durr and Dana Evans. I’m sure I’m forgetting some that didn’t pan out, but still that’s only 10 high profile recruits, maybe.

Sounds like Tyra’s grasping at straws there to me. Even Holly was pulling in top 5 class at UT, imagine what someone like Jeff could do...
I don't think Louisville could beat Tennessee in a bidding war

Reactions: VolBall09
Louisville AD Vince Tyra on Jeff Walz, Tennessee: 'We intend to keep him. And what is he talking about with the recruits? In his entire tenure at Louisville Jeff has only been able to draw a handful of top recruits to the program. He could get that many in one season at UT and Jeff knows it, he’s not stupid.
Walz has got two very good recruits coming in next year. One is Naya Green out of the Dallas area. She is ranked 7th by Prospect Nations. I went to several HS playoffs this year and saw her play twice. She's the real deal. Get Walz and she might want to come along. That'd be a nugget for sure.

Walz has got two very good recruits coming in next year. One is Naya Green out of the Dallas area. She is ranked 7th by Prospect Nations. I went to several HS playoffs this year and saw her play twice. She's the real deal. Get Walz and she might want to come along. That'd be a nugget for sure.

For sure, my main point was that he could get 4 recruits of that caliber in a class at Tennessee whereas he gets maybe one per season at Louisville. And usuall because the other programs they we’re interested in took another big recruit at their position. At UT he would be option numero uno and have his pick of the litter.

If he brought anyone with him that would be a bonus. If he came I would love to see Dana Evans follow him. I love watching her play.

VN Store

Back