Most annoying

Who is the most annoying personality in sports?

• Dick Vitale

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Jim Nantz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul Finebaum

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Lee Corso

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Chris Fowler

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Write in

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Stephen A Smith

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Keith Olberman

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters
I'm not sure how Vitale's analysis was 30 years ago, before my time, but after listening to him call a couple games this year I know that if he couldn't say puns or one-liners, he'd have nothing to say.
It's been the same schtick since the 80s.

Looking at whole body of work,
Vitale - not going to lie, i used to like him when I was in High School 20ish years ago... His problem is that he has the exact same act from 20 years ago. He looks (and sounds) pretty rough now, and needs to step away.
Nantz - perfect voice for taking a nap while watching golf. I think I now nod off whenever he starts to talk, just out of reflex. Love that man. I have had some really good naps thanks to him.
Finebaum - kind of a Clay Travis-lite to me. He plays to his primarily Bama audience, which including bashing UT, but was he really that wrong with any of his criticisms of UT over the past 10 years? He has actually talked up Tennessee a number of times recently. Is he kind of annoying? yea, but i would put others far ahead of him.
Corso - aka "football Vitale". Was entertaining like 20 years ago, but his shtick has gotten old. Nowadays, i just feel bad for him. Not sure his health has been the best, and it has been pretty obvious he isn't right over the past few years.
Fowler - Back when ESPN was actually about sports, i used to like watching him as I prepped for the day's slate of games. Not a fan of his poking at UT, and he does come off as kind of a smug jerk, but he isn't any more annoying than other play by play guys (Verne......).
Olberman - Used to like to watch him on Sportscenter, back when it was he, Berman, and Chris Myers (along with others). I actually thought he was one of the more witty ones before he left to do other things. I guess I do not watch enough ESPN any more to see why he would be annoying now.

Stephen A Smith - when you say such stupid stuff that even I know about it... and I only get my sports news from Volnation and my Google Feed of late, you are pretty bad. I don't even know what his "thing" is. He just seems to say ignorant/outlandish things to get people talking about what he has said... I have actually tried to watch clips of some of his "takes" and on most I get too annoyed to even finish it. I actually think that he is just a caricature created by ESPN, trying to play to an idea of what they think certain segments want to hear, while also getting those he offends worked up, and watching the next show to see what he says, so they can be mad about that too.

Corso - aka "football Vitale". Was entertaining like 20 years ago, but his shtick has gotten old. Nowadays, i just feel bad for him. Not sure his health has been the best, and it has been pretty obvious he isn't right over the past few years.
He had a stroke several years ago that affects his speaking and cognitive abilities. I feel bad for him too. He seems like he has good days and bad days, but on bad days he makes absolutely no sense.

Vitale has a tremendous amount of knowledge, but his voice is just annoying. Stephen A is a complete tool.

I’ve always found Skip Bayless to be the most cringey

If it’s play by play i’ll add Joe Buck
I agree with you, my write in vote would be Skip Bayless (Vandy grad, nuff said). I also have to add Colin Coward (know-it-all a$$ clown).
For play-by-play or color commentary, I agree with Joe Buck and would add Mike Milbury (if you want to call his Bruins love actual color commentary).

I agree with you, my write in vote would be Skip Bayless (Vandy grad, nuff said). I also have to add Colin Coward (know-it-all a$$ clown).
For play-by-play or color commentary, I agree with Joe Buck and would add Mike Milbury (if you want to call his Bruins love actual color commentary).
If hockey were more popular nationally, Milbury would be probably one of the most hated commentators in the country (meaning up there with Stephen A/Bayless level) and actually probably would have been fired for un-PC statements on air in the past.

The thing about Milbury that keeps him from being an absolute joke is that at least he played in the NHL, was a coach, and was a GM. Now, aside from his first year in Boston he wasn't very good at any of those things, and is probably most famous for beating a fan in the stands with the fan's own shoe, but at least he has some street cred and played the game.

Bayless and Stephen A are just the epitome of blowhard jock sniffers. I think each of them talk about the game in a way that implies or suggests that they played it, or have some kind of experience working for a team, and they are speaking from said experience. That, combined with their "hot takes," make them both so full of sh it.

I say this as a Reddkins fan. Aikman is second best. Behind only Romo unfortunately. I’ve never sensed bias from Aikman
I guess I watched the wrong game to judge him on... the saints vs Cowboys got hard to watch because of his commentary about them...

I guess I watched the wrong game to judge him on... the saints vs Cowboys got hard to watch because of his commentary about them...
Please. He praises Brees up and down and then sideways. He brags about Payton’s creativity. And gushes over the Saints ability to spread the ball all over the field.

Aikman’s ability to break down plays, fundamentals, and explain routes and blocking techniques makes putting up with Buck calling the game bearable. That’s a feat in and of itself.

VN Store

Back