We got hosed by Ref Joe Lindsay

1985Vols

This team Has been a pleasure to follow this season. They are such a class act and to have their season taken away by an official is downright atrocious, but typical for Tennessee sports. The foul on the 3 pointer was complete BS. In addition, the ball went off their players ankle and the officials couldn't even get it right after reviewing the call. Joe Lindsay was the official that stole our Elite 8 and possible Final 4. We are now 3-3 this year in games he has called. So 3 of our 6 losses were officiated by the same official. He called 6 of our 7 fouls in the first half tonight. Joe Lindsay also called the foul on LaMonte Turner with 1 second left that let Purdue tie the game which even the pundits are already talking about what a bad call that was. Let that sink in for a minute. Thanks Joe Lindsay for ruining what was going to be an historic season in Tennessee basketball history.

Calm down. If the guys would have played hard for 40 minutes, we would have won. We didn’t put a full game together all season. Our seniors came out flat. Our star player fouled when he didn’t need to in the first and second half. Our point guard with elite speed didn’t use his advantage much(he got blocked on a few possessions, but he could have used his speed to wear them down). Our top free throw shooter missed five free throws. Our coach never attempted to adjust his defense, even after every team seemed to shoot over their season average from three. The refs weren’t great, but we didn’t put ourselves in a position to win that game.

Last edited:
Calm down. If the guys would have played hard for 40 minutes, we would have won. We didn’t put a full game together all season. Our seniors came out flat. Our star player fouled when he didn’t need to in the first and second half. Our point guard with elite speed didn’t use his advantage much(he got blocked on a few possessions, but he could have used his speed to wear them down). Our top free throw shooter missed five free throws. Our coach never attempted to adjust his defense, even after every team seemed to shoot over their season average from three. The refs weren’t great, but we didn’t put ourselves in a position to win that game.

Didnt put a full game together all season?
Clearly you didnt watch many games this year.

That was an atrocious call

No it wasn’t. It could have gone either way, but when viewed from above, it sure looked like some of the ball was over the rim (albeit a very small part). Again, could have gone either way.

The ball was not off Edwards at the end of regulation, and that was a legit foul call on Turner.

Now, I feel like they let Edwards push off too much with an extended arm way too many times, but that didn’t cause us to lose.

You know, I am not going to say that the calls were not questionable at best, but I will quote what the great Pat Summitt said; “You have to beat the refs too.”
You shouldn't have to. Ever wonder why reviews take so long? Maybe they're discussing how much they may lose on their bets or bribes depending on the call. Yeah, pretty far out, but, NCAA officials have been found to cheat based on bets or bribes.

This team Has been a pleasure to follow this season. They are such a class act and to have their season taken away by an official is downright atrocious, but typical for Tennessee sports. The foul on the 3 pointer was complete BS. In addition, the ball went off their players ankle and the officials couldn't even get it right after reviewing the call. Joe Lindsay was the official that stole our Elite 8 and possible Final 4. We are now 3-3 this year in games he has called. So 3 of our 6 losses were officiated by the same official. He called 6 of our 7 fouls in the first half tonight. Joe Lindsay also called the foul on LaMonte Turner with 1 second left that let Purdue tie the game which even the pundits are already talking about what a bad call that was. Let that sink in for a minute. Thanks Joe Lindsay for ruining what was going to be an historic season in Tennessee basketball history.

I heard the tip on radio, and Kessling mentioned Lindsey’s name. I knew we were in trouble. I think he did our first Auburn game, and I saw him tell Grant to “quit talking” after a questionable call.

That said, I don’t think he made the call on Turner.

If they had played even bad basketball in the 1st half they would have won this game by double digits. Can't sleepwalk at this level. I expected them to be ready this year after the Loyola loss. Lot of experience there.

We had a great season. But, to your point, my only disappointment is that this team lost its killer instinct at some point and had really long stretches of head scratching play, including all three games of this tournament.

Still, in year four after the Pearl and Tyndall flameouts, it was a fun and great season.

No it wasn’t. It could have gone either way, but when viewed from above, it sure looked like some of the ball was over the rim (albeit a very small part). Again, could have gone either way.

The ball was not off Edwards at the end of regulation, and that was a legit foul call on Turner.

Now, I feel like they let Edwards push off too much with an extended arm way too many times, but that didn’t cause us to lose.

You know what’s ironic about the offensive goaltending call? Lindsey was on the crew that allowed the final basket for LSU against UK.

The guys played hard the whole game. They played a little tight in the first half like 2nd half Sunday but effort was there tonight. You don't know basketball my friend

VN Store

Back