Jack Daniels Tasters' Selection High Angel's Share Review

As it relates to this thread.... my friend gave me a bottle of Jack single barrel rye. I know the ryes they sell are all sourced, but I gotta admit that I like it. Not as spicy as a typical rye. Kind of in between a bourbon. Not bad

As it relates to this thread.... my friend gave me a bottle of Jack single barrel rye. I know the ryes they sell are all sourced, but I gotta admit that I like it. Not as spicy as a typical rye. Kind of in between a bourbon. Not bad
What is the major taste difference in the eye and regular whiskey? Ive never tried any rye.

What is the major taste difference in the eye and regular whiskey? Ive never tried any rye.
Think about the difference between white and rye bread. In the whiskey there’s a little more spice to a rye whiskey and depending on the mash bill won’t be nearly as sweet. This one seems to have a lower rye content so is still a little sweet.

Born and raised in Lynchburg and worked at jack Daniels for a few years. It would amaze people at the amount of whiskey that goes out of that place every single day.

Picked up a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel yesterday. Add that to the list of incredibly low priced, high quality whiskey.

Watched Moonshiners tonight, episode was about the legendary Popcorn Sutton and his shining ways. This was narrated by a couple of Cocke County shiners (Mark, Digger) who are disciples of Popcorn and carry on the tradition.

Years ago when I lived in K-town I used to run around with a couple of guys from Cosby and from time to time they would show up with a pint of shine. Man that stuff was just so strong that it was just a sip or two for me and no more.

Anyone here a fan of moonshine?

Watched Moonshiners tonight, episode was about the legendary Popcorn Sutton and his shining ways. This was narrated by a couple of Cocke County shiners (Mark, Digger) who are disciples of Popcorn and carry on the tradition.

Years ago when I lived in K-town I used to run around with a couple of guys from Cosby and from time to time they would show up with a pint of shine. Man that stuff was just so strong that it was just a sip or two for me and no more.

I've tasted some stuff that was supposed to be the real deal that tasted like kerosene. The good stuff has a sweet taste to it...like corn. It's pretty good.

I've tasted some stuff that was supposed to be the real deal that tasted like kerosene. The good stuff has a sweet taste to it...like corn. It's pretty good.

I've tried it a few times. I never could stand more than a couple of sips. I believe you have to have a serious alcohol problem to drink much of it.

I once had a sip of what I believe was eastern European shine (I can't remember the specific country). A, it tasted what I think gasoline would taste like, and B, I've never been so buzzed off of one shot.

Bourbon making has become so sophisticated since the 70s and 80s that I don't know if there are any hidden gems. The distillers and tasters are very good and they know exactly what is going in each bottle. Now, some of the newer or up and coming distilleries may occasionally take an average whiskey call, it Single Barrell Black Bung Hole or something like that, slap a $70 price tag on it and hope to sell a few bottles. But they never and I mean never bottle a great whiskey and sell it for 20 or 25 bucks. I have bought a lot of below average to very poor bottles of whiskey for 50-100 (I said I'm a sucker for gimmicks) dollars but I have never bought a great one for 25 dollars. There are however some pretty good bourbons in the 25 dollar range. Very Old Barton 100 proof, Four Roses Yellow Label, Makers Mark (candle wax), Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam Double Oak are all decent but not top shelf. (Some people think Buffalo Trace is one of the best out there at any price).

If you are really interested in understanding and experiencing the complexities of bourbon I urge you read a lot of reviews online or check out book or two. Then try out a bottle of what is being reviewed and see if you agree or if your taste is different. It's really more about finding out what you like than anything else. I've been a bourbon sipper for over 45 years. Me and a couple of buddies who also love bourbon get together fairly frequently and try new offerings or just set around and enjoy a drink or two. Overall we disagree regularly on whether a bourbon is really great or not but are almost always in total agreement when one is bad.

Well said. same take as for wine drinkers. I'm more of a wine drinker. In the case of wine, it's not uncommon to find a bottle under $10 that measures to or surpasses elite priced wines. It's all about what you like. North Ga wineries around Cleveland produce some world class wines for $18-$30 a pop.

I like trying whiskey's, but don't keep it around the house. In my younger days when we didn't know better, we just bought the Jim or Jack or Dickel or Williams. Always thought Beam and Williams were much better than Jack.

I haven't tried Four roses yet. it's on my short list, but I did get a small bottle of the Buffalo Trace. Not being into bourbon like I am wine, I'd say it was pretty good and would be a good budget bottle to keep for everyday sipping. Although I have had the most of either Wild Turkey or Makers Mark, and there's no "everyday" sipper to top either IMO.

When the crud sets in, I put down a good share of Mr. Boston's Rock n Rye. If that counts . lol. I actually like sipping on that quite a lot, but haven't had the genuine $40 Rock and Rye.

I also like Blackbush Irish and Jameson quite well. I'd like to know what are some other good Scotch's or Irish's.

Yep. Depending on the shine. I don't do it much, but the two best I've had... Lady that worked for me in GA was from W.VA. She brought me back a jar of peach brandy from a visit home. Was outstanding. And my brother in law always comes in to a quart of peach shine from around Hartwell GA. has one slice of a real peach, not a canned one. Sweet, smooth, and a little bite. It's the best I've tasted. but, I never sip on more than one shot or swig in a sitting. If someone knows what they're doing, shine can be better than any commercial whiskey product.

Exactly. If it makes your face curl on a nip taste, do not drink. A proper shine is going to cost around $80-$100 a quart.

VN Store

Back