Turner needs to shadow Edwards

Turner may be the best on ball defender in the NCAA. He' elite but he also takes ill timed shots or bad shots. Sure he hits a 3 at important times (against Iowa is a prime example) but at other times he simply goes cold on the offensive end. If he would penetrate with some control and stop shooting threes I think he could be incredible. This team is so loaded with potential and all the credit has to go to coach Barnes, his staff and the players. My favorite all-time TN basketball team.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Turner may be the best on ball defender in the NCAA. He' elite but he also takes ill timed shots or bad shots. Sure he hits a 3 at important times (against Iowa is a prime example) but at other times he simply goes cold on the offensive end. If he would penetrate with some control and stop shooting threes I think he could be incredible. This team is so loaded with potential and all the credit has to go to coach Barnes, his staff and the players. My favorite all-time TN basketball team.
You've been watching different games than me if you think Turner doesn't drive to the basket. He greatly reduced his volume of outside shooting following his late season shooting slump. I really don't have any problems with the way Turner is playing as of late and I doubt CRB does either.

You've been watching different games than me if you think Turner doesn't drive to the basket. He greatly reduced his volume of outside shooting following his late season shooting slump. I really don't have any problems with the way Turner is playing as of late and I doubt CRB does either.

I never said I had a problem with anything. Jeez. You pick something and try and make it something it’s not.

Reactions: feathersax
You might should look up Turner's tournament stats before saying he takes bad shots as you're asking him to be dang near perfect as those said numbers are already fantastic for a player his size. Pound for pound he is one of the toughest players in the college game. I love his mentality so really don't have a problem with a bad shot every now and then. Turner reminds me of a Joe Dumars with a little more wiggle and can be a game changer!

I never said I had a problem with anything. Jeez. You pick something and try and make it something it’s not.
Maybe you didn’t really mean “he takes Ill timed or bad shots” and “if he would penetrate with some control”? It’s a message board and I shared my impressions on these specific points you made? Confused how you think I’m trying to make these statements “something it’s not “ as they’re quite specific? Guess my reading comprehension must be lacking - no offense intended. Go Vols!

Turner has ice water in his veins. One of the few players that is willing to take the game winning shot. His defensive intensity is unmatched. Will be key to our victory on Thursday. Watch for Bowden and Pons on Edwards as well. Hope Alexander brings his " A" game vs. their 7'3" center

He’s going to have to sacrifice most or all of his energy on the defensive end if Barnes is going to man Turner up on Edwards. A lot of players, esp NBA, take plays off on defense to conserve energy for offense. I would like to see Turner exert most of of his energy on defense, esp the way Edwards runs around. Not to say he can’t shoot or attack bc often, monte feeds off of that big stop and carries momentum with him. He just has to understand his role for this particular game and be willing to sacrifice some points. Also means someone else will have to step it up offensely. GBO 🍊

Reactions: PACKERVOL
Turner is my favorite and least favorite player.
He has ice water in his veins and wants the ball.
He fell into a pattern of taking too many threes. Looks like he is back on his game.

Pretty sure opponents felt the same way when facing Lofton or any great shooter for that matter. Easier said than done.

Turner has been up in the chest of everyone he has defended recently. Tenacious defense that both frustrates and wears down those he is guarding. a MAJOR key to the continued success of this team.

He’s going to have to sacrifice most or all of his energy on the defensive end if Barnes is going to man Turner up on Edwards. A lot of players, esp NBA, take plays off on defense to conserve energy for offense. I would like to see Turner exert most of of his energy on defense, esp the way Edwards runs around. Not to say he can’t shoot or attack bc often, monte feeds off of that big stop and carries momentum with him. He just has to understand his role for this particular game and be willing to sacrifice some points. Also means someone else will have to step it up offensely. GBO 🍊

To use all, or most, of his energy on defense, is going to require Turner to go out for several breaks You expend more energy trying to defend than being on offense. Same is true in football. Is Bowden quick enough to stay with Edwards, or will Bone need to switch on him? I'd say all three, plus Pons for short periods, will be needed.

Carsen Edwards' last three NCAA tourney games:

vs. TTU, 2018: 30 points on 11 of 20
vs. ODU: 26 points on 7 of 23
vs. Villanova: 42 points on 12 of 21

That's 32.7 ppg on 47% shooting.

To use all, or most, of his energy on defense, is going to require Turner to go out for several breaks You expend more energy trying to defend than being on offense. Same is true in football. Is Bowden quick enough to stay with Edwards, or will Bone need to switch on him? I'd say all three, plus Pons for short periods, will be needed.

This is essentially what Barnes said the plan is.

VN Store

Back