Is college free agency here now?

The NCAA just ruled Ohio State QB Tate Martell can play immediately at Miami next season. Generally players could transfer without penalty if they had a "hardship." Whatever that means. Tate Martell has not claimed any hardship other than the fact Justin Fields was allowed to transfer to Ohio State with no penalty. To be fair he said "lack of playing time" but is that really a hardship? Couldn't any player unhappy with his team make this claim? I truly think this decision is going to open the floodgates and now the NCAA will be unable to stop anyone who wants to transfer. College free agency is here to stay.

Do I think this is good for the game? Tough question to answer. If Tennessee picks up a great player I will probably love it. If we lose one I will probably hate it. I do think for too long the NCAA has profited greatly on the backs of athletes and I suppose at the end of the day am a fan of giving athletes a little more control over their destiny. That being said if our two new five star offensive linemen announce they are transferring to Florida tomorrow I might lose my mind.

They had control when they signed their original LOI. I think anyone who wants to transfer, without getting their degree 1st should have to sit a year.

They had control when they signed their original LOI. I think anyone who wants to transfer, without getting their degree 1st should have to sit a year.
Why? Their scholly is one year. Why should they be forced into a bad situation?

Why? Their scholly is one year. Why should they be forced into a bad situation?

They aren't forced, they choose the school that they attend. Being recruited over or not getting playing time is not a legitimate reason to transfer unless you sit out a year. Most kids(adults too these days...) don't want to work for it. They want it handed to them, and if they don't get it, I guess it's ok to go elsewhere and take somebody else's spot.

My wrestling coach instilled a statement in me that my kids hear all the time.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare"

They aren't forced, they choose the school that they attend. Being recruited over or not getting playing time is not a legitimate reason to transfer unless you sit out a year. Most kids(adults too these days...) don't want to work for it. They want it handed to them, and if they don't get it, I guess it's ok to go elsewhere and take somebody else's spot.

My wrestling coach instilled a statement in me that my kids hear all the time.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare"
What good does sitting out and losing eligibility do anyone? If they lose out, what good does sitting there do?its ridiculous to just throw out a uneducated narrative of being unprepared

What good does sitting out and losing eligibility do anyone? If they lose out, what good does sitting there do?its ridiculous to just throw out a uneducated narrative of being unprepared

They don't have to stay, and they dont lose any eligibility if they haven't used their redshirt. They are at a school they chose to attend. If they choose to leave, there should be stipulations(again, just my opinion). That is life...most of, if not all of our choices have consequences. Some good, some bad. I just dont think kids are learning the right lessons if they get to run every time it gets hard or they dont get what they want.

They don't have to stay, and they dont lose any eligibility if they haven't used their redshirt. They are at a school they chose to attend. If they choose to leave, there should be stipulations(again, just my opinion). That is life...most of, if not all of our choices have consequences. Some good, some bad. I just dont think kids are learning the right lessons if they get to run every time it gets hard or they dont get what they want.
So they should be taught a lesson and let big money succeed and push the athlete down. Got it

Sure...that's not what I said, but sure. Pass the blame. It's big money's fault...
That’s what you’re letting happen. You can twist it however you want. Instead of giving a kid a better chance, you want to punish the kid. Brilliant

That’s what you’re letting happen. You can twist it however you want. Instead of giving a kid a better chance, you want to punish the kid. Brilliant

I'm not "letting" anything happen. Making a kid follow the rules is not punishing them. That's laughable... Why don't you go to Staples and buy every kid an easy button? Life ins not a video game console that you can hit the reset button every time things don't go your way.

Let me ask you this, What about the kid that loses his spot because a transfer comes in and takes it? Is he not being "punished" as you would say? If you think ncaa/big money athletics is corrupt now, allow kids to freely transfer without any restrictions or stipulations. It's hard enough for coaches to keep kids committee for 1 recruiting cycle, much less for 3 years once they are on campus.

All I stated from the beginning is that in my opinion, if a kid wants to transfer to another D1 school he should have to sit out a year. Basically, that is the rule. I don't care for the hardship exception rule. There are too many gray areas on how a hardship is determined. If people don't like the rule that you have to sit out a year if you transfer to another D1 school, then fight to get it changed.

I'm not "letting" anything happen. Making a kid follow the rules is not punishing them. That's laughable... Why don't you go to Staples and buy every kid an easy button? Life ins not a video game console that you can hit the reset button every time things don't go your way.

Let me ask you this, What about the kid that loses his spot because a transfer comes in and takes it? Is he not being "punished" as you would say? If you think ncaa/big money athletics is corrupt now, allow kids to freely transfer without any restrictions or stipulations. It's hard enough for coaches to keep kids committee for 1 recruiting cycle, much less for 3 years once they are on campus.

All I stated from the beginning is that in my opinion, if a kid wants to transfer to another D1 school he should have to sit out a year. Basically, that is the rule. I don't care for the hardship exception rule. There are too many gray areas on how a hardship is determined. If people don't like the rule that you have to sit out a year if you transfer to another D1 school, then fight to get it changed.
The point is they’re fighting it. Acting like this is an easy way out for a kid is beyond dumb. These are kids who have busted their a** fir years to be a D1 college athlete and for whatever reason the college they’ve chosen hasn’t worked out for them. You keep implying it’s because they’re lazy. Being lazy didn’t get them where they are. They’re talented athletes. Why make them suffer over a dumb rule?

A 17 year old kid making a life decision 90% of 35 year olds would struggle with. A 17 year old kid making a decision based on lies and propaganda of college coaches and you want to punish the kid when it doesn’t work out. Because “consequences”.

The point is they’re fighting it. Acting like this is an easy way out for a kid is beyond dumb. These are kids who have busted their a** fir years to be a D1 college athlete and for whatever reason the college they’ve chosen hasn’t worked out for them. You keep implying it’s because they’re lazy. Being lazy didn’t get them where they are. They’re talented athletes. Why make them suffer over a dumb rule?
A 17 year old kid making a life decision 90% of 35 year olds would struggle with. A 17 year old kid making a decision based on lies and propaganda of college coaches and you want to punish the kid when it doesn’t work out. Because “consequences”.

I do not keep implying that the kids are lazy. (I have a hard enough time speaking for myself. I sure as hell don't need you doing it for me) I never used the word lazy. But is true that some have better work ethic and are more dedicated than others. Some just feel entitled to a starting spot and when they don't get it year 1, they want to jet. That doesn't mean that they are lazy.

You didn't answer my question. I'm curious as to what you have to say about the kid that loses his spot because someone transfers in and takes it? Because one kid isn't happy where he his, he has the right to take another kids spot on another team?

If that kid isn’t good enough to keep his spot but wants to be a starter somewhere, he can transfer to a lower school. The best players get to play. If you need to go somewhere else to get playing time or to play for a school that better fits your needs, why not get that chance?

The idea that 90% of players are going to transfer just isn’t going to materialize. There will likely be an uptick, but nothing crazy

VN Store

Back