Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

OK, let's get back to the real issue. I believe it begins in post 170 where I stated, selling alcohol will result in fewer families hauling their kids to games. I also said that due to whales consuming the meager beach seat space I and others had already decided to stay home. But I added, otherwise, I'd probably have cheated by bringing my granddaughters to some games to experience Neyland Stadium. Somehow you twisted this into my assuming Vols fans are worse than OU. It's my money, if I opt to not attend home games, it's my choice. The kids in question are my granddaughters if I opt to not bring them to a place where drinking is happening it's my choice. And none of your dayum business. I stated I grew up with drunks which taught me what I refuse to be. That's my choice too. Guess what? It has nothing to do with Vols fans being worse than OU. Perhaps you can't understand that some people like myself, prefer to not be around alcohol consumers, as you will always get those who drink to excess. I refuse to be at such venues, especially with kids in tow. That's my decision and again none of your or anyone else's business.

Do what you want to do, I don't care. I think you are making this out to be much worse than it will be, I'll take my granddaughter without a seconds thought.

Do what you want to do, I don't care. I think you are making this out to be much worse than it will be, I'll take my granddaughter without a seconds thought.

You're the one who jumped in on this uninvited and made hash when all that needed was biscuit gravy. AND, they're your granddaughters. What you decided to expose them to is your choice and none of my dayum business. Just as what I decide to not expose mine to is none of your dayum business. I don't why that rankles you so much. Possibly you're one those people who when others don't share your views, you perceive them as "the enemy," demons, and Unamerican all roll into one. There's a lot of that going around these days.

You're the one who jumped in on this uninvited and made hash when all that needed was biscuit gravy. AND, they're your granddaughters. What you decided to expose them to is your choice and none of my dayum business. Just as what I decide to not expose mine to is none of your dayum business. I don't why that rankles you so much. Possibly you're one those people who when others don't share your views, you perceive them as "the enemy," demons, and Unamerican all roll into one. There's a lot of that going around these days.

I never asked you about your grandkids, just a simple question about vols v okies. You are a little defensive today.

Big screen TV, living room and backyard BBQ.

Now you don't have to worry about it.

OK, let's get back to the real issue. I believe it begins in post 170 where I stated, selling alcohol will result in fewer families hauling their kids to games. I also said that due to whales consuming the meager beach seat space I and others had already decided to stay home. But I added, otherwise, I'd probably have cheated by bringing my granddaughters to some games to experience Neyland Stadium. Somehow you twisted this into my assuming Vols fans are worse than OU. It's my money, if I opt to not attend home games, it's my choice. The kids in question are my granddaughters if I opt to not bring them to a place where drinking is happening it's my choice. And none of your dayum business. I stated I grew up with drunks which taught me what I refuse to be. That's my choice too. Guess what? It has nothing to do with Vols fans being worse than OU. Perhaps you can't understand that some people like myself, prefer to not be around alcohol consumers, as you will always get those who drink to excess. I refuse to be at such venues, especially with kids in tow. That's my decision and again none of your or anyone else's business.

You have zero data to backup your statement that 'fewer families will bring kids to the game' other than your anecdotal decrees that you yourself will not do so, which is fine, that's your prerogative. Again, the 'think of the children' argument is bunk given the literal thousands of venues and events that sell alcohol where children attend without issue.

Last edited:
How is this thread still going on the premise that beer is going to be sold to everyone at football games? It is not.

State passes bill to allow alcohol sales at campus venues, not during games

Because once the law is passed, the only hurdle to selling alcohol in the stadiums at football games is the SEC blanket ban on selling it in "general admission areas", and some schools are already selling it in "premium" seating areas, with Kentucky and Georgia being that last two schools who do not want the decision of whether or not to sell alcohol in the stadium to be a school choice, instead of a conference ban.

With the state law out of the way, and support for the SEC ban on alcohol sales (the only P5 conference to do so) in stadiums eroding, sooner rather than later the decision will be relegated to the individual schools.

Reactions: Darth_Shiveman
We're so anti alcohol we retired the beer barrel with Kentucky for fear it encourages excessive drinking. That's how childish the subject has become for some people that need to grow up. I doubt seriously anybody ever saw that colorful beer barrel and thought, "Hmmm, I can't wait to become an acoholic after seeing that thing!! Bartender, beer me!!"

Given the number of pretty decent craft and micro breweries in the region, UT should have plenty of options to give fans an epic beer experience while still rolling in the dough.

Watch it be something like overpriced Natty Lite or whatever beer is the spirit cousin of flavored water.

FUNNY. Looking back on my post about balls, I'm thinking I should have blue font it. Seems the intended humor wasn't obvious enough.

smilelaugh.jpg
Nah I got it. I made my original post with South Park in mind.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
You have zero data to backup your statement that 'fewer families will bring kids to the game' other than your anecdotal decrees that you yourself will not do so, which is fine, that's your prerogative. Again, the 'think of the children' argument is bunk given the literal thousands of venues and events that sell alcohol where children attend without issue.
Seems there are several in this thread that said they wouldn't take their kids. That's fewer. You're post is bunk and you're triggered. Lol.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
“Think of the kids”. Did you know that Disney parks serve alcohol? Better not take your kids to Hollywood Studios or drunk dad might punch a stormtrooper.

I can get a beer at a Broadway show. It’s $22 a bottle, but at least I can relax with a drink while I watch superior entertainment.

However, can’t serve a beer at a southern sweltering college football game because there will be some kids around.

It’s fine if you abstain but the good book says Jesus turned water into wine. It wasn’t grape juice like they tell you in Sunday school. He didn’t make it then say, “For illustrative purposes only”. Unfortunately the Puritans were a little hardcore in their teaching and those traditions have been passed down for many years. Wine was used in celebration. I want to celebrate some wins.

Been doing that a while now. I favor wild game meats.

Then I guess I'll make the assumption you've never been to a stadium that sells alcohol to the general public. You may try to say I've got a pattern of "one" but rest assured, I've worked in several venues where they serve alcohol and people still manage to behave themselves. Shoot, three Rose Bowls where the fans could have really gotten out of hand and still not a problem.

Other than trying to force your morality on others, why reason do you have against this?

Because once the law is passed, the only hurdle to selling alcohol in the stadiums at football games is the SEC blanket ban on selling it in "general admission areas", and some schools are already selling it in "premium" seating areas, with Kentucky and Georgia being that last two schools who do not want the decision of whether or not to sell alcohol in the stadium to be a school choice, instead of a conference ban.

With the state law out of the way, and support for the SEC ban on alcohol sales (the only P5 conference to do so) in stadiums eroding, sooner rather than later the decision will be relegated to the individual schools.

So, it’s the old slippery slope logical fallacy. It is not the case right now, and this law will actually help attract entertainment acts to Knoxville. If, at a later date, the SEC changes its rules and then UT decides to offer alcohol at sporting events then that could reasonably be a topic of discussion, but not now. This is good for business and has a very minimal impact on UT sports for the time being. What is being discussed here is not happening and completely misses the point.

Nah I got it. I made my original post with South Park in mind.

Cool. Our exchange here has prompted me to do something I've only marginally played with mentally. That is looking for an animation software that allows text to be manipulated to visually display moods, intent, and other things plain text can't do. If nothing else I think it's a fun way to share posts, one liners, or even short emails. Wish I had the programming prowess to make such a thing myself.

Then I guess I'll make the assumption you've never been to a stadium that sells alcohol to the general public. You may try to say I've got a pattern of "one" but rest assured, I've worked in several venues where they serve alcohol and people still manage to behave themselves. Shoot, three Rose Bowls where the fans could have really gotten out of hand and still not a problem.

Other than trying to force your morality on others, why reason do you have against this?

From the moment I saw your post until I skimmed right by it, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend to read it.

The document that I linked, was not a school-administration-sponsored study designed to sell people on the idea of allowing beer to be sold at stadiums., but a graduate thesis by a student, and the extensive list of sources are available at the end of the document if you doubt the veracity of the paper's conclusion. Besides that, he selling of alcohol in the stadium isn't just some consequence-less money printing press for the University. Doing so opens them up to greater liability as a public venue, forcing increased security, and every single concessions worker who pours a beer will have to be TiPS trained, and the individual concession workers are then open to increased liability if they over-serve someone alcohol.

There will always be people who over-consume alcohol before the game for the sole purpose of being hammered before they sit down, that's already happening without the selling of beer in the stadium, and as has been seen at other schools, doesn't increase once beer is sold in the stadium; your fear of it happening, as of yet, is not supported by reality. There are plenty of schools who have been selling beer in their stadiums for years, without this 'boogeyman' uptick in drunken behavior that people trot out as the sole reason they oppose beer sales in college stadiums.
Nice dissertation, but your reading comprehension skills are lacking. I agreed with you on the fact that selling beers at the game really wouldn’t change the amount of drunken behavior inside the gates on gameday. If the university didn’t stand to make lots of money off selling alcohol then why would they bother taking on the extra liability? I’ll answer that, they wouldn’t . Selling alcohol will generate an untapped form of income for the university, and money is the only logical reason to take on the extra liability of selling alcohol.

Before people get too passionate on this thread and friendships are challenged I will remind again that the SEC does not allow the sell of alcohol during sporting events. Until the SEC changes their rules you are not going to see any alcohol at the stadium.

Reactions: Vol_Maul
“Think of the kids”. Did you know that Disney parks serve alcohol? Better not take your kids to Hollywood Studios or drunk dad might punch a stormtrooper.

I can get a beer at a Broadway show. It’s $22 a bottle, but at least I can relax with a drink while I watch superior entertainment.

However, can’t serve a beer at a southern sweltering college football game because there will be some kids around.

It’s fine if you abstain but the good book says Jesus turned water into wine. It wasn’t grape juice like they tell you in Sunday school. He didn’t make it then say, “For illustrative purposes only”. Unfortunately the Puritans were a little hardcore in their teaching and those traditions have been passed down for many years. Wine was used in celebration. I want to celebrate some wins.

What a mess this is. Lol.

Just the facts. Do you think some teetotalers in this thread have taken their kids or grandkids to Disney or a pro sporting event? I’ll bet they have.

I don't know and if you're betting, you don't know either.

Ive already said I have no problem with it, I'd take my kid, if I had one or 4, to a college football game that served beer and I'd take them to Disney, but I would be way more concerned with my surroundings as far as "drunks" were concerned, at the game. I think it's apples and oranges.

And using Jesus turning water into wine to argue this silly. IMO.

VN Store

Back