Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

If you actually go to games drink up, they can use your money. I'm sure you are a classy drunk.

th

How about an drug free section and a drug acceptable section? I really like being able to take my kids and family to the games. But increasingly the atmosphere is getting more and more vile and confrontational. Selling mind altering substances will increase the negative behavior by some. Although I doubt usage would increase greatly from current levels.

What if 1/3 of the stadium was strictly (read seriously) non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, as in certain ejection / prosecution for public drunkenness or influence. While the other 2/3 of the stadium was open for drug usage in it's various forms with current controls and even sales.

Thoughts?
I'd show up to the tee-totaler section stoned off my ass, and probably have the single most agreeable Neyland experience of my life.

You have a vote from me.

I do beg to differ. They just introduced alcohol sales in Oklahoma for OSU and all sports except football at OU. OU Football will have it this coming season.

There is a notable decrease in the "get in line and hammer down five drinks" before coming in. Fans aren't any different really.
Who would have thunk that logic makes more sense than faith?

This is a bad idea all around. Nothing good can come from this. All this will do is ruin the ability to take children to see the Vols play.

So you don't take your children out to restaurants that serve alcohol? Don't take them to movies any more since theaters are now starting to serve alcohol?

This is a bad idea all around. Nothing good can come from this. All this will do is ruin the ability to take children to see the Vols play.

Wrong. Selling beer in the games will reduce binge-drinking prior to games and also reduce bringing liquor into the game. Cause and effect not a strong suit, huh?

That's simply not true. Read the previous posts in this thread that already cited fewer incidents than before alcohol sales at a university that recently started alcohol sales.
It's okay to fear or have an opinion, but when the available facts show otherwise, nothing good comes from projecting those fears as a substitute for empirical evidence that has already been provided.

Reactions: tbh

Exactly what bad will come from this?

Kids are around intoxicated fans cursing? News flash, people are already drunk and cursing at games.

You can step off your moral high horse at any point.

Who would have thunk that logic makes more sense than faith?
Only fools. Even the Lord said, "Come now, let us reason together..." in Isaiah 1:18. Logic is a gift from the same source who made faith available.
There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD. Faith is the victory that has overcome the world.

I do beg to differ. They just introduced alcohol sales in Oklahoma for OSU and all sports except football at OU. OU Football will have it this coming season.

There is a notable decrease in the "get in line and hammer down five drinks" before coming in. Fans aren't any different really.
I'm glad you made this post. This was going to be my comment if it wasn't already said.

Great minds think alike! :)

Don't project your inability to drink responsibly onto the rest of the fanbase.
Understand your sentiment, but for crying out loud, have you been to a sporting event anytime lately? A tremendous number of fans can’t handle their liquor at public events and are far beyond obnoxious to the point that it makes it near impossible for responsible fans to enjoy their experiences sitting in the stands, especially if their kids are with them. Letting even more idiots get hammered at games is only gonna make it worse.

Don't project your inability to drink responsibly onto the rest of the fanbase.
Have you actually been to a game? There is a large amount of alcohol related idiotic behavior now when people have to sneak it in. It will only get worse. One of the strangest things at the stadium in the 80s was watching the local boy scouts clean the stadium on Tuesdays during our show rehearsal. There would be around 70,000 bottles picked up after every home game. I watched several alcohol related fights break out at Legion Field when we played Alabama. One of those involved extremely serious injuries to the fans participating. It happened right next to the band.

Understand your sentiment, but for crying out loud, have you been to a sporting event anytime lately? A tremendous number of fans can’t handle their liquor at public events and are far beyond obnoxious to the point that it makes it near impossible for responsible fans to enjoy their experiences sitting in the stands, especially if their kids are with them. Letting even more idiots get hammered at games is only gonna make it worse.

People are "pre-gaming"and overindulging primarily because of the fact that alcohol is not sold in the stadium. There are plenty of stadiums that have had alcohol sales for years, and some that just recently started allowing them that have not seen a massive uptick in drunk and disorderly behavior.

The "think of the children" argument is bunk. There are idiots in society everywhere, and more public events that sell alcohol that don't, the idea that your kid seeing a drunken idiot at Neyland even though alcohol isn't sold in the stadium, is somehow better or different because they see a drunken idiot if alcohol is sold in the stadium, isn't logical.

Have you actually been to a game? There is a large amount of alcohol related idiotic behavior now when people have to sneak it in. It will only get worse. One of the strangest things at the stadium in the 80s was watching the local boy scouts clean the stadium on Tuesdays during our show rehearsal. There would be around 70,000 bottles picked up after every home game. I watched several alcohol related fights break out at Legion Field when we played Alabama. One of those involved extremely serious injuries to the fans participating. It happened right next to the band.

What exactly are you basing this statement on besides your anecdotal experiences?

"administrators can use this study’s findings to aid their decision to sell alcohol off of the suggested evidence that on a national scale criminal offenses, alcohol related incidents, and instadium offenses do not increase after alcohol sales are implemented at on-campus football stadiums."

TO SERVE AND PROTECT: DOES SELLING ALCOHOL AT INTERCOLLEGIATE FOOTBALL STADIUMS EQUATE TO HIGHER CRIMINAL ACTIVITY?, A thesis submitted to the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Masters of Arts in the Department of Exercise and Sport Science (Sport Administration). Archer T. Bane IV

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
That's simply not true. Read the previous posts in this thread that already cited fewer incidents than before alcohol sales at a university that recently started alcohol sales.
It's okay to fear or have an opinion, but when the available facts show otherwise, nothing good comes from projecting those fears as a substitute for empirical evidence that has already been provided.
You can find "facts" and "studies" to make a case for anything you want to make a case for. Pharmaceutical companies do it every day. There are thousands of people running around that think smoking pot will cure cancer because a "study" said so, but in the real world, adding easier access to alcohol has only helped people do stupid stuff. Nobody is going to drink less before the game and nobody is going to drink "more responsibly". I understand there are people that can't enjoy anything in life without a substance of some kind, but when you pack 100,000 plus people in 14 inch seats and throw fuel on the fire, it is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 24/7vol
The same to you as I said to basspond, don't project your inability to responsibly consume alcohol onto the rest of the fanbase.

I said I'm sure you are a classy drunk, and i don't drink so I think I'll be fine. Thanks

I've seen more obnoxious drunk fans at Neyland than at Titans or Preds games where they do serve booze.

You can find "facts" and "studies" to make a case for anything you want to make a case for. Pharmaceutical companies do it every day. There are thousands of people running around that think smoking pot will cure cancer because a "study" said so, but in the real world, adding easier access to alcohol has only helped people do stupid stuff. Nobody is going to drink less before the game and nobody is going to drink "more responsibly". I understand there are people that can't enjoy anything in life without a substance of some kind, but when you pack 100,000 plus people in 14 inch seats and throw fuel on the fire, it is a recipe for disaster.

If you're not a fan of facts and studies, then you'll be happy to know other Universities saw decreases in incidents when they started selling it too. In other words, those cooks who have the experience making the dish, published the cookbook with the recipe and the ingredients were the opposite of what you said they must be.

Reactions: BeardedVol

VN Store

Back