BTO’s Auburn’s SECT edition postgame report

I was switching channels a couple of times thinking I was watching the lady Vols. Thought I saw Holly on the sidelines for a moment.

This team is now 0-2 vs. their goals for the season. One more chance. Make it to the Final 4 or all this talk about the best team in history can stop. I drove 6 hours today and laid down $300 to attend the game along with 15,000 other TN fans and our players , besides Turner, completely laid an egg. Was planning on traveling to watch them in NCAA tourney but think Illwatch on my big screen after today's effort.
I completely get and don’t blame your frustration

Reactions: 1985Vols
This team is now 0-2 vs. their goals for the season. One more chance. Make it to the Final 4 or all this talk about the best team in history can stop. I drove 6 hours today and laid down $300 to attend the game along with 15,000 other TN fans and our players , besides Turner, completely laid an egg. Was planning on traveling to watch them in NCAA tourney but think Illwatch on my big screen after today's effort.

If I heard Hubbs correctly last night(choppy audio from him being on the road), the main goal going into the year for this team was the final 4. The regular season and SECT were too, but the focus was always the final 4. Kinda leads me to the impression that the regular season and SECT are kinda "secondary" goals? Not quite as important as the final 4? Might be reading Hubbs comments the wrong way.

Last edited:
I understand the frustration too, but I wonder if any of the whiners and gloaters stop for a second and think how the team felt after that loss. Had to be devastating.

I'd have to assume that losing the regular season title to auburn 8 days prior would have hurt as well and had them saying "not again". Still, they came out and seemed disinterested and without effort. At this time of year in a tournament, every team has to fight fatigue. Auburn was in it's 4th straight. We got a double bye. I really don't know what happened. Still, it did happen and it's over. No mulligans in basketball during tournaments. It's win or go home. This team will have to look back and play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game. We fans will have other teams but this was their season, their shot. Didn't happen. Now the final goal is here. As stated in various places, the main goal was the final 4. Hope they at least achieve that. Won't call the season a failure if they don't, but it would take a good bit of the shine off their accomplishments and that would be a shame.

Last edited:
I'd have to assume that losing the regular season title to auburn 8 days prior would have hurt as well and had them saying "not again". Still, they came out and seemed disinterested and without effort. At this time of year in a tournament, every team has to fight fatigue. Auburn was in it's 4th straight. We got a double bye. I really don't know what happened. Still, it did happen and it's over. No mulligans in basketball during tournaments. It's win or go home. This team will have to look back and play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game. We fans will have other teams but this was their season, their shot. Didn't happen. Now the final goal is here. As stated in various places, the main goal was the final 4. Hope they at least achieve that. Won't call the season a failure if they don't, but it would take a good bit of the shine off their accomplishments and that would be a shame.
This all day long. Make the Final 4 and the two losses to AU that not only cost us a regular season SEC Title but our first SECT title in 40 years will be forgiven. Anything short of that and all this season will be remembered for is 4 weeks at #1 and a 19 game winning streak, which for our program is nothing short of amazing. However, college BB is a tournament sport and in the end, teams success is based on what they do in March/ April.

I understand the frustration too, but I wonder if any of the whiners and gloaters stop for a second and think how the team felt after that loss. Had to be devastating.

It was their SEC Championship to win or lose, I was only a spectator. Sorry to see them not only lose, but get crushed, by an inferior team. I will continue to do my job and watch the next game.

You hope that gets used as a positive, guys get reminded very quickly of how soon it can all be over with if you come out this time of year and the opponent wants it more than you.

Just once I wish freaking Tennessee would be the team that came out with their hair on fire in one of these champ games!!! Auburn has played for the sec title 1 time since 2000, they have 1 sec championship to show for it. We have played for it 4 times since 2000 and have 0 championships. I’m so tired of Tennessee teams *****ing their pants every ****ing time they get a chance to win a championship!! Other teams can do it why can’t we? We can’t win if we are the underdogs or the favorites. Chaps my ass.
3 times (09, 18, and 19) but the point of frustration remains. It beats going home after round 1 after going into the tournament as the 11 seed, but it sucks to not even accidentally win one over time.

3 times (09, 18, and 19) but the point of frustration remains. It beats going home after round 1 after going into the tournament as the 11 seed, but it sucks to not even accidentally win one over time.
That’s how I feel, you’d think we’d accidentally win one at some point... heck I’ve seen a terrible Georgia team accidentally win one in my lifetime and they have always been horrible.

That’s how I feel, you’d think we’d accidentally win one at some point... heck I’ve seen a terrible Georgia team accidentally win one in my lifetime and they have always been horrible.
Georgia had to play 2 games in one day to do it. Makes it even more of a head scratcher for us.

I am disappointed in yesterday's performance. It lacked energy and the kind of tournament toughness and resiliency that a well coached and veteran team should have. That was a chance to hang a banner and we blew it. It doesn't diminish the great win over Kentucky but it is a huge letdown. This program still has a major hurdle to overcome when playing for championships... I hope we see a focused and confident team with a chip on it's shoulder this weekend. They have a lot to prove.

This all day long. Make the Final 4 and the two losses to AU that not only cost us a regular season SEC Title but our first SECT title in 40 years will be forgiven. Anything short of that and all this season will be remembered for is 4 weeks at #1 and a 19 game winning streak, which for our program is nothing short of amazing. However, college BB is a tournament sport and in the end, teams success is based on what they do in March/ April.
It has been a very memorable season but at this point, there is nothing truly special about it unless they make the Final Four.

It's not just teams that shoot well but that being coupled with containing the drive and not over helping. We re condition to defend the paint. When you dont control the dribble and over help and rotate you re gonna give up good looks. The better shooting teams make you pay for those.
UT doesn't rotate well coming off of the opponents set screens. Good coaches are going to see on film "who get's lost" and design plays to take advantage of us. It is fixable but for now we are giving the opponent too many good looks. The shot is already on it's way by the time a UT defender get's to the shooter. I think this is UT's biggest concern that needs corrected. I feel that CRB has been emphasizing this also.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
LOL. It was Auburn's defense that set the tone for this game early.Denying the ball to williams. shutting down the passing lanes and on ball pressure. the game was over at the 13th TO in the first half. give Pearl credit.
You almost have to know that Pearl is gonna emphasize blocking the inside passing/driving lanes and force UT to do something else. We should have adjusted much faster instead we create more than double our usual t/o's and get beat super badly on the boards. CRB addressed some of this but a lot of factors contributed to this loss. I don't care for naming single individuals but one player's bad performance early seemed to affect the whole team. Even if it means more losses next year UT needs to get more players involved in every game with more playing time to increase our bench strength.

Turner and Bowden are ready to go for next week.

Let's go Vols and let's dance a long time

You know Bruin I said that it looks like they were saving it for the NCAA tourney. I know alot on here would disagree but it looks like they were resting up. Say what you want but I truly think this team is prepping for a deep run in the tourney

This was the year for the championship. Didn't happen.
I would think next year would be THE YEAR. Only losing Admiral and Kyle and Kyle is definitely replaceable.

Next year will be another year to take the tourney if we can get past Kentucky.

Pearl made the comment at halftime that in 20 minutes someone will cut the nets down. He had the look of he knew who that would be. My opinion is he realized for what ever reason our legs were gone. When you are tired you miss shots, miss assignments and you don't defend with your feet. I believe at that point Pearl's plan was to run us in to the ground in the second half and we would fade. Take any half way open three, look for long rebounds, over guard on defense and dare us to do hard backdoor cuts to beat them. My opinion we should have greatly slowed the game down and not try to run with them as we were out of gas for some reason. Only hope we had was to slow things way down and get AU out of their shoot rhythm.

Board of chicken littles - the sky is falling! Auburn started the year ranked in the top 10. They got off to a slow start but have been rounding into their game the past month. They’re a good team. We came out flat and allowed them to get their confidence going. It’s college basketball and any of the top 20 teams will beat you down if you don’t show up ready to battle. Hopefully our Vols learned their lesson and will be ready to give it everything from whistle to whistle for the next 3 weeks!
They should be better than us with all the 4 and 5 star players Bruce bought, er, signed.

I doubt any team in the NCAA tournament is going to look at today's game and erase the whole rest of the season. Everybody knows the Vols have been better than what they showed today. I'm letting this loss go and looking forward to the REAL team showing up and setting the NCAA woods on fire!
Bear in mind the real team rarely slams the door shut.....meaning they get too comfortable when they get a good lead and then start getting into traps. The one big one is Bone allowing the clock to tick away repeatedly down to 8-10 seconds which forces UT to have to take a shot. They simply appear to take their foot off the gas and before you know it the opponent is right back in the game.

Reactions: LadyinOrange
That has to be a very bad assessment coming from any source. No way is any decent coach or player gonna focus on the final four early in any season. The only focus should be on the next team you are going to play. Even if the NCAA tournament was the focus they failed by not beating AU which would have given them the nets and likely a #1 seed. We'll soon see how much character this team truly has.

LOL. It was Auburn's defense that set the tone for this game early.Denying the ball to williams. shutting down the passing lanes and on ball pressure. the game was over at the 13th TO in the first half. give Pearl credit.
It was definitely the defensive game plan for Auburn and it worked. Of course for those at the arena it was abundantly clear fairly early on the Vols lost the Auburn game immediately after the Kentucky game. I'm sure we all had concerns about the let down but there's zero doubt in any good basketball mind that the lack of intensity and mental quickness to our spots had more to do with the loss than any other sabermetrics. I know that's not earth shattering news but it is what it is. And of course I doubt there's another team in America, much less the SEC, that would have been worse for us to play yesterday than Auburn. Hats off to CBP and the Auburn Tigers...things fell their way and they capitalized on it for SEC Tournament Champs.

I can't believe I haven't seen one mention of those at the game about the PA announcer. He had to be drunk

He called every single one of our guys as being a year younger when introducing the starting line up.

He called and the basket is good by "grant Hill"

He called Harper, "jerry Harper"

He called turner, "Lovonte Turner"

I am convinced he was drunk as hell

I can't believe I haven't seen one mention of those at the game about the PA announcer. He had to be drunk

He called every single one of our guys as being a year younger when introducing the starting line up.

He called and the basket is good by "grant Hill"

He called Harper, "jerry Harper"

He called turner, "Lovonte Turner"

I am convinced he was drunk as hell

Does Kesling have a brother?

VN Store

Back