BTO’s Auburn’s SECT edition postgame report

I'm honestly not sure when or if I'll ever see us win an SECT; I mean it was essentially a home game for us, against a team that had played 1 more game.

I'm still not over how badly we played and looked. A complete 180 from yesterday.

Reactions: Catbone
Pearl didnt reinvent the wheel. His current teams strength just happens to fit UTs weakness. Vice versa UT didnt do very well with their positive matchups today.

UF is built more similar to AU.
I nominate for post of the year. I was thinking the same thing.

I'm honestly not sure when or if I'll ever see us win an SECT; I mean it was essentially a home game for us, against a team that had played 1 more game.

I'm still not over how badly we played and looked. A complete 180 from yesterday.

It’s disheartening to say the least.

I hope he called out Schofield also because he was more pathetic than Grant and include Bone also.
Bone tried his legs just weren’t there. It was obvious on Bone’s layups. However, with the body Admiral has you would expect him to post up and drive the ball, when his shot isn’t there.

Reactions: iBleedOrangeWhite
Auburn has won 10 of 11. How did Kentucky absolutely destroy them during that streak?

1. Woof...not much else to say today, we saved our worst performance of the year for the SECT title game, that’s a huge disappointment. Tennessee fans made this a home game and the team didn’t show up, I hate it for Vol fans because they more than did their part and the guys just didn’t show.

2. If you want a silver lining in this game, and it’s hard, Lamonte Turner appears to have found something and that’s a great sign (you’d think). He looked much more like the Turner of old and Vols will need his shot falling in the NCAAT.

3. Lots of times you hear people say burn the tape after a beat down like that, such as the game at Rupp, but this is 2 games in a short span against the same team that has really made things tough for us. You better believe any team we draw is going to watch what Auburn did and try their best to duplicate it, Vols need to make adjustments to that.

4. If I didn’t know this team any better you would have swore they went out on Broadway last night and celebrated all night, that’s how it looked today, no energy at all...however I know that’s not the case so all I can come up with is Kentucky was Tennessee’s super bowl and that Pearl being the master motivator he is had Auburn seeing this is their game of the century.

5. That loss hurts/is disappointing in a sense that it really would’ve capped off the year to this point, winning the tourney for the first time in 40 years and making a 1 seed almost a certainty...unfortunately that didn’t happen, now you have to regroup. You can take this game and learn or let it linger and get caught off guard in the big dance, but the big one is still on the table and the guys need to realize that and regroup and learn from today.

GBO!!!

When I voiced my concern after the first Auburn loss I got fileted for it. My concerns weren’t too far off. I am glad we beat Kentucky, but as we’ve said, you have to bring it every game. Kudos to Bruce Pearl. He has Rick’s number. Let’s hope we don’t meet them in tournament play.

Reactions: tnvols72
1. National Championship
2. Final Four
3. SEC Regular Season Championship
4. SEC Tournament Championship

We missed on our 2 bottom goals. Very disappointing. Time to put our eyes on the prize.

This season has got to have some meaning. This team is too good to not win anything of significance.

LOL. It was Auburn's defense that set the tone for this game early.Denying the ball to williams. shutting down the passing lanes and on ball pressure. the game was over at the 13th TO in the first half. give Pearl credit.

Reactions: tbones0711
-Worst effort of the season. We allowed Auburn to steal two championships from us in one year. Pearl just has our number and the ideal system in place to expose our weaknesses.

-The letdown I was afraid of and mentioned last night came to full fruition. My hope that AU would have tired legs couldn't have been more disproven by a hungry Tiger team that was a crap ton more motivated than we were. We played like we believed this was a consolation game and Auburn played like it was a championship.

-Not a single player played well across the board, but Lamonte Turner at least played like he cared. He was the only player that looked bothered by losing, which is surprising from this team. He may have found his shot again, which will only help.

-Bowden has to get more shots.

-Williams has to want more shots.

-17 TOs is embarrassing.
Just once I wish freaking Tennessee would be the team that came out with their hair on fire in one of these champ games!!! Auburn has played for the sec title 1 time since 2000, they have 1 sec championship to show for it. We have played for it 4 times since 2000 and have 0 championships. I’m so tired of Tennessee teams *****ing their pants every ****ing time they get a chance to win a championship!! Other teams can do it why can’t we? We can’t win if we are the underdogs or the favorites. Chaps my ass.

Reactions: VolinMC and Catbone
1. National Championship
2. Final Four
3. SEC Regular Season Championship
4. SEC Tournament Championship

We missed on our 2 bottom goals. Very disappointing. Time to put our eyes on the prize.

This season has got to have some meaning. This team is too good to not win anything of significance.
And those were the two far more attainable goals. I hope they prove me wrong but this team can’t seem to string together enough good games to make it past about the sweet sixteen. I’d love to be wrong but they gotta show me something first.

Board of chicken littles - the sky is falling! Auburn started the year ranked in the top 10. They got off to a slow start but have been rounding into their game the past month. They’re a good team. We came out flat and allowed them to get their confidence going. It’s college basketball and any of the top 20 teams will beat you down if you don’t show up ready to battle. Hopefully our Vols learned their lesson and will be ready to give it everything from whistle to whistle for the next 3 weeks!

Reactions: Lurker
Auburn has won 10 of 11. How did Kentucky absolutely destroy them during that streak?
They play better defense than we do and have more length which makes it harder to shoot over. UK also rebounds better than we do. UK is also a better team. Not sure how many more reasons I could come up with.

When AU was shooting 5 of 22 from 3 in the first half and all we could do was turn the ball over a gazillion times, dribble it off our foot, make bad passes, couldn't catch the ball, etc. And not build a lead while Harper was on the bench the writing was on the wall for this game. Then AU went off. We played a little better on offense in the second half, but we dug ourselves too deep a hole.

I doubt any team in the NCAA tournament is going to look at today's game and erase the whole rest of the season. Everybody knows the Vols have been better than what they showed today. I'm letting this loss go and looking forward to the REAL team showing up and setting the NCAA woods on fire!

Reactions: ttocswob
They play better defense than we do and have more length which makes it harder to shoot over. UK also rebounds better than we do. UK is also a better team. Not sure how many more reasons I could come up with.

How are they the better team if we won 2-3 times???

Reactions: TennTom
We just struggle to score versus big athletic teams. A lot of the time we can overcome it, but when they also have guards that can get to the basket unmoledted then we're in trouble. TN is lucky that the didn't get stung by Alabama.

IMO part of the problem is that Alexander has been ineffective as a rim protector. He seemed to be really good at that early in the season until a few games into the SEC schedule. I think that all of the stupid touch fouls that regularly sent him to the bench affected his effectiveness at helping to stop the little guards getting to the basket. Our guards got to the basket but couldn't finish or draw fouls. Our opponents haven't had that problem.

Another Elite Eight is totally dependant on the draw. The last EE had an easy path to the S16.

Pearl cost us a banner and a trophy in the span of one week. Sux, but AU is just a bad matchup, on defense we don’t have the length to defend the arc adequately, and on offense their quickness interrupted our flow and we settled for bad shots.

Auburn is just a bad matchup for us! Auburn could make it to the elite eight or lose in the 1st round.

1. Woof...not much else to say today, we saved our worst performance of the year for the SECT title game, that’s a huge disappointment. Tennessee fans made this a home game and the team didn’t show up, I hate it for Vol fans because they more than did their part and the guys just didn’t show.

2. If you want a silver lining in this game, and it’s hard, Lamonte Turner appears to have found something and that’s a great sign (you’d think). He looked much more like the Turner of old and Vols will need his shot falling in the NCAAT.

3. Lots of times you hear people say burn the tape after a beat down like that, such as the game at Rupp, but this is 2 games in a short span against the same team that has really made things tough for us. You better believe any team we draw is going to watch what Auburn did and try their best to duplicate it, Vols need to make adjustments to that.

4. If I didn’t know this team any better you would have swore they went out on Broadway last night and celebrated all night, that’s how it looked today, no energy at all...however I know that’s not the case so all I can come up with is Kentucky was Tennessee’s super bowl and that Pearl being the master motivator he is had Auburn seeing this is their game of the century.

5. That loss hurts/is disappointing in a sense that it really would’ve capped off the year to this point, winning the tourney for the first time in 40 years and making a 1 seed almost a certainty...unfortunately that didn’t happen, now you have to regroup. You can take this game and learn or let it linger and get caught off guard in the big dance, but the big one is still on the table and the guys need to realize that and regroup and learn from today.

GBO!!!
This team is now 0-2 vs. their goals for the season. One more chance. Make it to the Final 4 or all this talk about the best team in history can stop. I drove 6 hours today and laid down $300 to attend the game along with 15,000 other TN fans and our players , besides Turner, completely laid an egg. Was planning on traveling to watch them in NCAA tourney but think Illwatch on my big screen after today's effort.

Reactions: Catbone
Any half decent shooting team exposes us. We don’t guard it well and we don’t shoot enough/make enough from 3 to make up for it.

And the defensive gameplan today was complete garbage.
I don’t think any defensive gameplan would have worked with the effort we gave today. This team played valiantly yesterday and mailed it in today.

Not many teams can duplicate Auburn; they are a small but quick team that can turn you over and hit the 3. They are our kriptonite.

I agree! The only team I've seen shoot the three like Auburn is Marquette. That's it other than the guy at Wofford.

VN Store

Back