BTO’s Auburn’s SECT edition postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Woof...not much else to say today, we saved our worst performance of the year for the SECT title game, that’s a huge disappointment. Tennessee fans made this a home game and the team didn’t show up, I hate it for Vol fans because they more than did their part and the guys just didn’t show.

2. If you want a silver lining in this game, and it’s hard, Lamonte Turner appears to have found something and that’s a great sign (you’d think). He looked much more like the Turner of old and Vols will need his shot falling in the NCAAT.

3. Lots of times you hear people say burn the tape after a beat down like that, such as the game at Rupp, but this is 2 games in a short span against the same team that has really made things tough for us. You better believe any team we draw is going to watch what Auburn did and try their best to duplicate it, Vols need to make adjustments to that.

4. If I didn’t know this team any better you would have swore they went out on Broadway last night and celebrated all night, that’s how it looked today, no energy at all...however I know that’s not the case so all I can come up with is Kentucky was Tennessee’s super bowl and that Pearl being the master motivator he is had Auburn seeing this is their game of the century.

5. That loss hurts/is disappointing in a sense that it really would’ve capped off the year to this point, winning the tourney for the first time in 40 years and making a 1 seed almost a certainty...unfortunately that didn’t happen, now you have to regroup. You can take this game and learn or let it linger and get caught off guard in the big dance, but the big one is still on the table and the guys need to realize that and regroup and learn from today.

GBO!!!

4. If I didn’t know this team any better you would have swore they went out on Broadway last night and celebrated all night, that’s how it looked today, no energy at all...however I know that’s not the case so all I can come up with is Kentucky was Tennessee’s super bowl and that Pearl being the master motivator he is had Auburn seeing this is their game of the century.

GBO!!!

Maybe he did, but it's not like Auburn was playing lights out all game. They were pretty bad themselves the first half, and we countered by playing dog crap awful. Had we even been playing decent we would have built up a lead during that time when Auburn wasn't hitting 3s.

I truly believe we help on defense too often. Sometimes giving up a contested two isn’t the worst thing in the world. Today auburn isolated a guard at the top of the key and as soon as he drove we helped and they kicked it for a wide open shot. I get that against teams that don’t shoot it particularly well that’s not a bad strategy but against teams that thrive on momentum threes like auburn i don’t think it’s the best strategy.

When you play a team like auburn, you have to run them off the three and move your feet on defense. We did neither.

Reactions: amorange
Any half decent shooting team exposes us. We don’t guard it well and we don’t shoot enough/make enough from 3 to make up for it.

And the defensive gameplan today was complete garbage.
It's not just teams that shoot well but that being coupled with containing the drive and not over helping. We re condition to defend the paint. When you dont control the dribble and over help and rotate you re gonna give up good looks. The better shooting teams make you pay for those.

Reactions: JacketVol
It's not just teams that shoot well but that being coupled with containing the drive and not over helping. We re condition to defend the paint. When you dont control the dribble and over help and rotate you re gonna give up good looks. The better shooting teams make you pay for those.

We clearly are taught to help and defend the paint.

I mean it's almost as if we didn't go 29-5 the way we have people actIng like our defense is broken.

Today's game was decided by awful first half offesne and then their big going off making 5 contested 3s with a hand in
His face. The rest of their guys that shot the 3 weren't effective today and those are the plays where we the help/defending the paint approach was evident

I mean it's almost as if we didn't go 29-5 the way we have people actIng like our defense is broken.

Today's game was decided by awful first half offesne and then their big going off making 5 contested 3s with a hand in
His face. The rest of their guys that shot the 3 weren't effective today and those are the plays where we the help/defending the paint approach was evident

Not broken but not great either. 34th in defensive efficiency.

His face. The rest of their guys that shot the 3 weren't effective today and those are the plays were we the help/defending the paint approach was evident
The offense was terrible. No one is saying otherwise.
Barnes will be the first to tell you when your having to help off the dribble as much as we were you re not gonna be successful. AU spread us out and was fine shooting 25 footers or taking lay ups. We gave em plenty of both.

Not broken but not great either. 34th in defensive efficiency.
Yeah. Where he got broken and skewed off to poor offense is a head scratcher.

UT has locked down at times and stayed in and won games with good defense this year. Yesterday had some of those moments. Today. Not at all.

The offense was terrible. No one is saying otherwise.
Barnes will be the first to tell you when your having to help off the dribble as much as we were you re not gonna be successful. AU spread us out and was fine shooting 25 footers or taking lay ups. We gave em plenty of both.

Pearl just knows how to attack Barnes. It is what it is and when their big got hot it was over

Any half decent shooting team exposes us. We don’t guard it well and we don’t shoot enough/make enough from 3 to make up for it.

And the defensive gameplan today was complete garbage.

And this is what worries me about the AA tourney. EVERY team we play in the dance has the ability to "get hot" from 3. College BB is a guard driven game. Any team with a couple of guards that can shoot worth a d*** is gonna give TN fits.

And this is what worries me about the AA tourney. EVERY team we play in the dance has the ability to "get hot" from 3. College BB is a guard driven game. Any team with a couple of guards that can shoot worth a d*** is gonna give TN fits.
I said this 6 weeks ago and got blasted for it but it turns out to be true.

Reactions: GhostVol
Pearl just knows how to attack Barnes. It is what it is and when their big got hot it was over
Pearl didnt reinvent the wheel. His current teams strength just happens to fit UTs weakness. Vice versa UT didnt do very well with their positive matchups today.

UF is built more similar to AU.

Reactions: Volle
-Worst effort of the season. We allowed Auburn to steal two championships from us in one year. Pearl just has our number and the ideal system in place to expose our weaknesses.

-The letdown I was afraid of and mentioned last night came to full fruition. My hope that AU would have tired legs couldn't have been more disproven by a hungry Tiger team that was a crap ton more motivated than we were. We played like we believed this was a consolation game and Auburn played like it was a championship.

-Not a single player played well across the board, but Lamonte Turner at least played like he cared. He was the only player that looked bothered by losing, which is surprising from this team. He may have found his shot again, which will only help.

-Bowden has to get more shots.

-Williams has to want more shots.

-17 TOs is embarrassing.

Too many turnovers on the offensive end and Auburn was unconcious from 3 point land in the second half.

Admiral did not let the game come to him and he forced shots.

I think this loss gives UT a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and I think the Vols go to the regional in Jacksonville.

1. Woof...not much else to say today, we saved our worst performance of the year for the SECT title game, that’s a huge disappointment. Tennessee fans made this a home game and the team didn’t show up, I hate it for Vol fans because they more than did their part and the guys just didn’t show.

2. If you want a silver lining in this game, and it’s hard, Lamonte Turner appears to have found something and that’s a great sign (you’d think). He looked much more like the Turner of old and Vols will need his shot falling in the NCAAT.

3. Lots of times you hear people say burn the tape after a beat down like that, such as the game at Rupp, but this is 2 games in a short span against the same team that has really made things tough for us. You better believe any team we draw is going to watch what Auburn did and try their best to duplicate it, Vols need to make adjustments to that.

5. That loss hurts/is disappointing in a sense that it really would’ve capped off the year to this point, winning the tourney for the first time in 40 years and making a 1 seed almost a certainty...unfortunately that didn’t happen, now you have to regroup. You can take this game and learn or let it linger and get caught off guard in the big dance, but the big one is still on the table and the guys need to realize that and regroup and learn from today.

GBO!!!
Not many teams can duplicate Auburn; they are a small but quick team that can turn you over and hit the 3. They are our kriptonite.

VN Store

Back