Last Year I Quit a Job...

While in Savannah, I got back from a deployment on a Thursday or Friday. For the first 96 we weren't supposed to go outside of 50 miles of the surrounding area. I drove 6 1/2 hours each way to go see the Vols play Bama (lost 41-10)

Not really a sacrifice but an odd story. When my moms cousins passed away, we had the funeral on the day of the 2015 Georgia football game. Well most of the wake was all of us gathered around the TV cheering on the Vols to the big win. It was actually a nice way for everybody to get their minds off everything
That's a good way to get your minds off everything to watch a great game. And it was. I was on the road traveling out of State to visit a cousin of mine and her family. But I did listen to it on the radio.

When I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Jackson, we obviously worked 7 days a week. Well lucky for me, a fellow Drill Sergeant preferred having Sunday's free for the NFL and I preferred Saturdays (duh). We worked it out so she would work all day Saturday (so I could go to the games. I was a season ticket holder then) and I would work all day Sunday. Worked out too, because Sunday's were typically shorter days (and little to no training).
Did you ever work with @SeniorDrill?

When I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Jackson, we obviously worked 7 days a week. Well lucky for me, a fellow Drill Sergeant preferred having Sunday's free for the NFL and I preferred Saturdays (duh). We worked it out so she would work all day Saturday (so I could go to the games. I was a season ticket holder then) and I would work all day Sunday. Worked out too, because Sunday's were typically shorter days (and little to no training).

Fkn area beautification.

Sorry, that's stupidly, how many games did or has he missed SEEING sense then. This and most other "sacrifices" listed here need the follow you and another poster or two have given for the decision. Reading posts, I feel many of you guys are proud of your actions.
Turn in your Vol Card! j/k

My wedding was on the day of the UT Oklahoma game at Neyland during game time. I had three very close friends fail to show up. Oh well.

Well, it wasn't something to catch a game, but my wife kept bothering me during the game. So, when the Vols lost to Florida (football) in '93, my wife and I got in an argument and I left her for good. I was drunk, mad and probably overreacted (although I knew it was over for months, I was just trying to make it work for our daughter) and this fight, really over nothing, was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. We legally separated and were divorced early in '94. Great decision, tho.

Similar situation for me except no kids involved. My ex started yelling at me after the
98 Ark football game ended. She said she couldn’t take it anymore (my intensity for the Vols). Here I was celebrating and she’s screaming at me. I knew it was over and we were divorced a year later. Joint decision to divorce but ultimately worked out great for me.

Well, this wasn't quite a sacrifice, but it came pretty damn close to being one. This is a bit of a story but here goes.

The year was 1998. As an aspiring theatre major, I spent my college years participating in all the major department shows. Being cast in those shows meant participating in everything -- read throughs, technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and finally, show nights -- and I greatly enjoyed all of that stuff. But what I did not enjoy was having to kiss some Saturdays goodbye. Or at least, kissing the ability to watch the games on TV goodbye, as there was no such thing as cell phones or internet video in 1998 and no television in the theatre studio. Now, as it so happened, there was one other serious Vol fan in the cast for our major fall show, and we were a desperate duo at times. Some Saturdays you could find us hovering around a radio in the costume studio buried beneath the theatre space, taking shifts between scenes to keep each other informed. If either of us had a scene, the first thing we'd ask the other after hitting the curtains and heading downstairs- "What's the score?" If both of us were in the same scenes, we'd peel out first thing and get downstairs to keep on top of things.

Alright, so that's the general setting. Now let's get to the gamble.

November 14th, 1998. You know -- that game. The game. #1 Tennessee vs #10 Arkansas, so of course it's at night, which is also when theatres like to put on performances. In theatre, actors and crew are always called well in advance of showtime, so we found ourselves pacing pregame and hovering around the radio for kickoff. Stoerner made that first TD. Ok. We could handle that. Stoerner hit Lucas for the second TD. Pacing intensified. Everyone around us was getting into character, focused on the show, but us two? Nervous wrecks. Probably lucky we didn't miss any of our cues, especially once Stoerner found Lucas again to make it 21-3. It felt like every time we came back downstairs we'd heard John Ward say "Chukwuma" (or whatever his name was) or "Stoerner to Lucas." More scenes. More football. And then it was halftime.

For whatever reason, I had started telling my friend "we just have to believe. You have to believe. They can do this." I think I was talking to myself as much as I was to him, but I kept on saying it. Second half starts, and Tee made that touchdown pass. I got more into it. "You just have to believe!" And my friend started saying it back to me. "You just have to believe!" "I believe!" "I believe!" So we're bouncing off the studio walls, hoping Tennessee can make the comeback real. More scenes upstairs. Run back down to get the score. Hall made that field goal to make it 24-20. End of the third.

Ah, that's right - the gamble.

Fourth quarter. I forget now if I was the one who proposed this, or if my friend proposed it to me, but I prefer to think that we each hit upon the same idea at the same time. We entered that quarter knowing three things for certain. First, we knew there was a student dormitory not four hundred yards away from our theatre, with a TV on the second floor commons room that would have the game on. Second, we knew our play's intermission, all ten to fifteen minutes of it, was pretty close to overlapping the last minutes of the fourth quarter. And third, we knew that come hell or high water we were determined to see Tennessee make a comeback win on a television.

In other words, we knew we were going to run over to that dorm and watch the end of the game on a TV.

Now in theatre, you do NOT leave for any reason during a show. It's unprofessional, especially when people are counting on you to do your job, and you just don't do it. S'naughty. Had I caught anyone sneaking out during my many shows there (or later), I would have chastised them for acting so immaturely and putting the show at risk. All very good points. Fortunately, we didn't have to hear any of those points, because no one caught us sneaking out the side entrance to the theatre just before intermission. We sprinted across the soccer field, caromed off the stairwell walls, and blasted into the commons room so forcefully that the door slammed against the wall. And as it turned out, we'd made it just in time to watch the Arkansas drive that sent the ball through the back of the endzone. 24-22.

Being a southern college, the room had Vols, Bammers, Tigers (both kinds), Arkansas fans, and more. Everyone was talking trash -- lotta hollerin, if you will. My friend and I were still yelling "Believe!" at each other between every gasp for air. Tennessee turned the ball over on downs, but I shook my friend and shouted louder - "You have to believe!" "I believe!" he shouted back. The chatter intensified. "IT'S NOT OVER!" I roared. To this day I don't know why I said that, but then Ratliff blew Bulsworth off the line. Stoerner fumbled. My friend and I (and the other Vols) starting jumping all over the room. "YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE!" "I BELIEVE!" Henry drove that ball for fifteen yards. "BELIEVE!" Other Vols in the room started yelling it with us. Fifteen more yards. People were going nuts. Up and over, touchdown Tennessee! The room was bedlam. High fives between all the Vol fans. The Arkansas fans, inconsolable. Gator fans? Irritated.

And then my friend and I realized the intermission ended five minutes ago and lit out like our asses were on fire to get back to the theatre before anyone noticed our absence. We survived, and thankfully only a handful of people had any notion we'd been missing. Our next cue was ten to fifteen minutes out, so we even had time to compose ourselves. Pfew! Granted, we knew we had the time to spare, but all the same - pfew. What a night. What a game.

Did it cost us in the end? Thankfully no. It sure could have, though -- could have cost us both quite a bit. But we didn't care. We were all in. And when Tennessee mounted that comeback, we knew what we had to do.

How dramatic!! :cool:

Reactions: BACKDOC
I was a couple hours late to my then girlfriends 21st birthday party because of the 2016 game at Texas A&M that went to OT. She wasn’t too pleased. Her dad was a big Tennessee fan and he overheard her complaining to me and later on that evening he pulled me to the side and said “I totally understand why you were late, I don’t blame you”
Should've won that damn game!

Reactions: OneVolNation
I was at the Bama game a few years ago; the one that we almost won. The lady sitting next to me said she had only missed attending four games since 1968, and that she stopped by her Grandmothers wake for a few min.'s on her way to a UT football game.

The girlfriend and I was having our first child together. She went into labor the morning of the 2016 Vandy game. Long story short, I went to the game instead of hanging around the hospital. I’ve never seen the wife so happy after a Tennessee loss.

Moral of the story, make sure you protect yourself around this time of year or you might find yourself dealing with the same dilemma.

The girlfriend and I was having our first child together. She went into labor the morning of the 2016 Vandy game. Long story short, I went to the game instead of hanging around the hospital. I’ve never seen the wife so happy after a Tennessee loss.

Moral of the story, make sure you protect yourself around this time of year or you might find yourself dealing with the same dilemma.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

to stay home and watch the Vols at Tourney Time. I'm not even joking. It was a 2nd job I'd taken on for extra money & wasn't really feeling it anyway, so I figured that was as good a reason as I'd find to take that job & shove it, and that's exactly what I did. Seems like there was a poster a few years back who postponed his wedding because it coincided with a Big Orange football game. What's the biggest thing any of you have sacrificed to catch a Vols game?

I got in a huge fight with my now wife that’s i wouldn’t do a fall wedding. She said we would do a bye week. I said I refused a fall wedding because at some point our anniversary would be on a game day and I be the bad guy for my Big Orange priority’s. She from Alaska and still doesn’t understand after 16 years.

I’ve also missed two weddings I was asked to be in (both Florida games). I snuck into the ND game in South Ben. Was chased for a good ten minutes by security guards. Man my list goes on and on.

This wasn't really giving up anything but we were all watching UT/LSU in like 2000 and UT was down for most of the game. My sister dropped something in the kitchen and swept it up right as UT scored a touchdown. My superstitious Dad made her keep sweeping for the rest of the 3rd and 4th quarter. UT picked up steam and ended up winning. To this day we make her sweep during big plays.

This wasn't really giving up anything but we were all watching UT/LSU in like 2000 and UT was down for most of the game. My sister dropped something in the kitchen and swept it up right as UT scored a touchdown. My superstitious Dad made her keep sweeping for the rest of the 3rd and 4th quarter. UT picked up steam and ended up winning. To this day we make her sweep during big plays.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but we lost that game. And now we know why we’ve sucked for the better part of 18 years... your dang dad is making your poor sister sweep bad vibes around every Saturday!

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but we lost that game. And now we know why we’ve sucked for the better part of 18 years... your dang dad is making your poor sister sweep bad vibes around every Saturday!

LOL. I looked it up. Was the 2001 game in Knoxville. We were down until a 3rd quarter Travis Stephens touchdown. You had me worried there for a second.

I was a couple hours late to my then girlfriends 21st birthday party because of the 2016 game at Texas A&M that went to OT. She wasn’t too pleased. Her dad was a big Tennessee fan and he overheard her complaining to me and later on that evening he pulled me to the side and said “I totally understand why you were late, I don’t blame you”
Sounds like good father-in-law material right there. Not sure about the girlfriend being wife material though.

Just thought of another one. The same girlfriend, except at this point we had only been dating probably 2 months tops so she didn’t quite understand my obsession for UT football. I absentmindedly made plans to go on a double date with her best friend and her new boyfriend the evening of the 2015 Oklahoma game. It was the day of the game and it hit me “crap we were supposed to go out tonight”. So I came up with an excuse to get out of it. I have really bad migraines and I faked a migraine so I could stay home and watch the game.

I’m guessing you were eventually dumped.

This ones lame compared to most of y'alls. I remember back in 2012 I was 16 and at my first crap job. Boss wouldn't give me the Florida weekend off. Accordingly I walked out never to return again, I drove up to Neyland (from Texas) that weekend and we got stomped per usaul. I remember my boss texted me to ask if I regretted it later the next week, I told him my only regret was that Tyler Bray didn't throw for 300 yards and 5 touchdowns

Reactions: Coach_Z

VN Store

Back