College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

I think Gonzaga has a #1 locked up.
I think UVA locks one in with win today.
I think Carolina is the next strongest team right now. They could get a one seed with only one more win.
That leaves Duke being forced to win the ACCT and/or Kentucky/Tennessee having to win the SEC. No idea how that would shake out. If Duke wins the ACC, Carolina might fall due to not wanting three teams from the same conference. It wouldn't be unprecedented, but I think it's unlikely this year, due to so many conferences being AT least top heavy (I'm looking at you PAC-12 as the weak link).

Michigan St is playing like a top 3 team right now, but I think they need more help. UVA or Carolina winning the ACC, anyone but Kentucky/Tennessee winning the SEC.
I have no idea how you can deduce that Virginia still has work to do but Gonzaga is locked in. There is no logical sense to that idea.

Even with a loss today, UVA has the same number of losses, no conference tournament title, a stronger SOS, and 3x the Q1 wins.

To me, UVA is the only one locked in, and the other 3 spots are very fluid over the next four days.

I have no idea how you can deduce that Virginia still has work to do but Gonzaga is locked in. There is no logical sense to that idea.

Even with a loss today, UVA has the same number of losses, no conference tournament title, a stronger SOS, and 3x the Q1 wins.

To me, UVA is the only one locked in, and the other 3 spots are very fluid over the next four days.
UVa would only struggle with a loss and Duke winning the ACC, Tennessee or Kentucky winning the SEC. Gonzaga made it to the championship game, and thus got their lock. Late season losses ALWAYS play a role in seeding.

UVa would only struggle with a loss and Duke winning the ACC, Tennessee or Kentucky winning the SEC. Gonzaga made it to the championship game, and thus got their lock. Late season losses ALWAYS play a role in seeding.

Virginia could lose 100-0 today and all the other teams win it and they still get a 1 seed

Reactions: Big time vol
If UVa gave the Committee a chance to get UNC, Duke and an SEC school as 1 seeds, it would jump all over it. They’d trip over themselves submitting the bracket. Gonzaga gives them a deserving West school.

UVa loses today and the door becomes ajar for it to happen .

Why isn't LSU a lock if they win the tournament? The will have won both regular season and tournament and 3-0 over UT/UK. Just as good season record as all the other One seeds. Frankly I think they should be ranked ahead of UT and UK right now. I guarantee if you switched jerseys between LSU and UK with all else the same, that team would be ranked #3 right now.

I am afraid of the committee punishing them for missing their HC and possibly Smart, fair or not. Similar to the treatment they gave Kenyon Martin and Cincinnati 20 years ago, or so.

It isn’t a slam dunk, I just have that feeling that they will not get the benefit of the doubt from the committee.

Agree to disagree. You seem to grossly overemphasize late season losses for everyone but Gonzaga. I agree they are important, but not all created equal, and it seems as if you want to treat them all equally except for Gonzaga’s. A UVA loss today to NCSU would still be a Q1 loss, same as Gonzaga’s to St. Mary’s that you want to seemingly gloss over.

Agree to disagree. You seem to grossly overemphasize late season losses for everyone but Gonzaga. I agree they are important, but not all created equal, and it seems as if you want to treat them all equally except for Gonzaga’s. A UVA loss today to NCSU would still be a Q1 loss, same as Gonzaga’s to St. Mary’s that you want to seemingly gloss over.
No, you just don't listen. It's cool. Most don't. Had Gonzaga struggled most of the season with St Mary's, had they not been rivals, had they actually been a "bad loss", had it not been their third game against each other, had Saint Mary's not been in the 30s BPI wise, or had it not been the conference championship, the loss would hurt. Again, I don't think a UVa loss in the semifinals or Championship game affects them. But they do need at least one win. You keep harping like Gonzaga lost to Mississippi Valley State of Missouri. Just stop that nonsense. It's so ridiculous. I said one win today by UVA locks it up. One win. And even then I stated that A LOT has to happen for them to be in trouble to lose the one seed if they lose today. Stop exaggerating.

You can't intelligently compare one loss for Gonzaga and one for Virginia.

Virginia has 2 losses in the best conference in the land while we know Gonzaga doesn't play anyone.

Apples to oranges

You can't intelligently compare one loss for Gonzaga and one for Virginia.

Virginia has 2 losses in the best conference in the land while we know Gonzaga doesn't play anyone.

Apples to oranges
You can't really intelligently compare any of it. That's why there's always room to gripe for teams. Computers make up a large chunk of getting places, but at the end of the day the committee does what it wants. UVa is the most uninteresting team looking for a 1 or 2 seed. This board goes overboard with the way Duke is treated, but there is some truth to bluebloods getting more favor. Between losing last year and only one Elite Eight to show for themselves, UVa doesn't look great in tournaments. A loss in their opening game will be severely damaging to them if Duke wins the ACCT and Tennessee or Kentucky win the SEC. It also won't favor the tournament if all 4 one seeds are within a 6 hour drive of each other.

No, you just don't listen. It's cool. Most don't. Had Gonzaga struggled most of the season with St Mary's, had they not been rivals, had they actually been a "bad loss", had it not been their third game against each other, had Saint Mary's not been in the 30s BPI wise, or had it not been the conference championship, the loss would hurt. Again, I don't think a UVa loss in the semifinals or Championship game affects them. But they do need at least one win. You keep harping like Gonzaga lost to Mississippi Valley State of Missouri. Just stop that nonsense. It's so ridiculous. I said one win today by UVA locks it up. One win. And even then I stated that A LOT has to happen for them to be in trouble to lose the one seed if they lose today. Stop exaggerating.

I guess you don’t realize that NC State (#23) has a significantly higher BPI than St. Mary’s (#35), that a UVA loss to them today wouldn’t be a bad loss, that whether two teams are rivals or it’s the first-second-third game against a team is irrelevant to the committee in terms of grading a team’s resume. I tried telling you that, but you just don’t listen. But it’s cool. Most don’t.

And you have to be the king of putting words in people’s mouths. This is like the 3rd time in two days you’ve done it to me alone to strengthen your fragile argument. I never said Gonzaga’s loss to St. Mary’s was a bad loss. I never even hinted they were comparable to Mississippi Valley St of Missouri. And I haven’t exaggerated anything with regards to them or UVA. Facts are just facts.

You are overly emotional about Gonzaga basketball for some strange reason, and you’ve chosen an odd hill to die on for them. The only one exaggerating anything, and then blatantly ignoring every logical statistic and data point set before, is you. Take that L and head back to the Endzone.

I guess you don’t realize that NC State (#23) has a significantly higher BPI than St. Mary’s (#35), that a UVA loss to them today wouldn’t be a bad loss, that whether two teams are rivals or it’s the first-second-third game against a team is irrelevant to the committee in terms of grading a team’s resume. I tried telling you that, but you just don’t listen. But it’s cool. Most don’t.

And you have to be the king of putting words in people’s mouths. This is like the 3rd time in two days you’ve done it to me alone to strengthen your fragile argument. I never said Gonzaga’s loss to St. Mary’s was a bad loss. I never even hinted they were comparable to Mississippi Valley St of Missouri. And I haven’t exaggerated anything with regards to them or UVA. Facts are just facts.

You are overly emotional about Gonzaga basketball for some strange reason, and you’ve chosen an odd hill to die on for them. The only one exaggerating anything, and then blatantly ignoring every logical statistic and data point set before, is you. Take that L and head back to the Endzone.

I love how he made this post:

Logical thought. It’s scarce here

And then proceeds to demonstrate his own lack of it.

Reactions: cncchris33

I listen to Clay’s show everyday on the drive in to work. He literally said he’d be shocked if Zion played again if he didn’t return for the regular season finale against UNC. Even justified it by saying, “Why do you sit a guy that long and then bring him in untested into a tournament environment where he has to potentially play 3 days in a row?”.

Quite the reversal in narrative unless his tweet was meant as sarcasm.

I listen to Clay’s show everyday on the drive in to work. He literally said he’d be shocked if Zion played again if he didn’t return for the regular season finale against UNC. Even justified it by saying, “Why do you sit a guy that long and then bring him in untested into a tournament environment where he has to potentially play 3 days in a row?”.

Sounds like he could be being sarcastic here; but it's hard to tell with him because he's definitely flip-flopped on a dime many times before. But he's also been sarcastic before and taken the L. I guess it depends on his mood and how much he cares about being wrong at that moment.

Sounds like he could be being sarcastic here; but it's hard to tell with him because he's definitely flip-flopped on a dime many times before. But he's also been sarcastic before and taken the L. I guess it depends on his mood and how much he cares about being wrong at that moment.
Yes, tough to read his intent in that small blurb, but his history of digging in his heels makes it even tougher. He’s almost as stubborn and arrogant as some recent posters in this forum.

It was sarcasm. He's been pumping the same thing you and I have thought in that he's wasn't going to play

Looks like he is lacing them up extra tight today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190314-134513_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-134513_Twitter.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 6
So again, when are they reversing things and sitting Zion?

tenor.gif

Reactions: gordonr24

VN Store

Back