Grant Williams - quality individual

LAVol1

My son and I attended the AU game Saturday. In the pre-game warmup, Grant called a young Vol fan onto the court. Grant put his arm around his shoulder, handed him the ball, and told him to shoot. The kid (probably about 10) launched an air ball from the left corner and headed back to the stands with a huge grin on his face. Grant reached out and stopped him and told him to shoot another one. The kid almost made it. That will be a memory that kid will have for the rest of his life. Grant Williams is a great human being--he gets it.

I'm young, so this isn't a slight to the greats I never saw with my own eyes, but Grant probably is the best Vol I've ever gotten to watch. Not because of one moment, or one streak, but his entire body of work and the way he has carried himself. Will be a sad day when he says goodbye.

I'm young, so this isn't a slight to the greats I never saw with my own eyes, but Grant probably is the best Vol I've ever gotten to watch. Not because of one moment, or one streak, but his entire body of work and the way he has carried himself. Will be a sad day when he says goodbye.
Same. I think he’s been a great all around person to lead our (currently) most successful person. If he makes a final four, maybe stays his senior year, he could be a Peyton Manning type figure (as much as a male basketball player at UT can achieve that stauture)

My son and I attended the AU game Saturday. In the pre-game warmup, Grant called a young Vol fan onto the court. Grant put his arm around his shoulder, handed him the ball, and told him to shoot. The kid (probably about 10) launched an air ball from the left corner and headed back to the stands with a huge grin on his face. Grant reached out and stopped him and told him to shoot another one. The kid almost made it. That will be a memory that kid will have for the rest of his life. Grant Williams is a great human being--he gets it.
Yep, it was my son and he is 9. Grant let him shoot 2 times and then shook his hand. My son is still smiling.

Yep, it was my son and he is 9. Grant let him shoot 2 times and then shook his hand. My son is still smiling.

Reactions: VOLED
Grant is a program changer and we are fortunate to have him. If this team will put themselves on his big shoulders, he will carry us to the promise land. High character individual that has rubbed off on the entire team IMO. his # should be in the rafters of TBA one day

Reactions: tennrich1 and VOLED
Grant is a program changer and we are fortunate to have him. If this team will put themselves on his big shoulders, he will carry us to the promise land. High character individual that has rubbed off on the entire team IMO. his # should be in the rafters of TBA one day
Looking back on the Auburn game not going to GW on every possession is ultimately what got us beat. Now I realize there were other things that could have been better (turnovers, defense etc) but there was NO ONE on the Auburn team who had the talent or a clue as to stopping GW once he got the ball around the foul line. It was game over and everyone knew it. And it was usually a bucket and one. If we play them again I hope he touches the ball on every possession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1985Vols
Looking back on the Auburn game not going to GW on every possession is ultimately what got us beat. Now I realize there were other things that could have been better (turnovers, defense etc) but there was NO ONE on the Auburn team who had the talent or a clue as to stopping GW once he got the ball around the foul line. It was game over and everyone knew it. And it was usually a bucket and one. If we play them again I hope he touches the ball on every possession.
I thought they tried to go to Grant a lot, but AU did an excellent job of taking away the passing angles to Grant. If Turner had hit a few three's, that would have opened it up and we would have won easily. But, when you can't hit the three, it makes it a lot harder to get the ball into the post.

Reactions: tennrich1
I think Grant Williams will come back for the 2019-2020 season and we will enjoy watching him play his last season at Tennessee

I thought they tried to go to Grant a lot, but AU did an excellent job of taking away the passing angles to Grant. If Turner had hit a few three's, that would have opened it up and we would have won easily. But, when you can't hit the three, it makes it a lot harder to get the ball into the post.
We stopped trying during a stretch where we took a bunch of 3’s much to the chagrin of CRB (in fact one time he got hot at LT and took him off the floor). You’re right though...GW did get the ball down low some( mostly at the free throw line) and Auburn did attempt to keep the ball from going inside but it should have gone there on EVERY possession. I can’t remember for sure but I think we shot the three more than any league game this year. That IS NOT our game IMO...

VN Store

Back