Interesting Coach Barnes tourney stat...

Stoked

When Coach Barnes has a 2 Seed or better he has made it to at least the Elite 8. He only has had the 1 Seed once while at Texas, and that was his Final 4 year. He has had the 2 Seed twice and made it to the Elite 8 both times. Coach Barnes has a bad reputation with early tourney exits, but it's with teams that aren't a 2 Seed or better, which we should be barring a loss to Mississippi State.

Diving deeper into Coach Barnes Final 4 team.

-Short bench: If you thought we had a short bench, his Final 4 team had an even weaker one. They relied heavily on guards TJ Ford and Brandon Mouton, their best two players and leading scorers. As crazy as this sounds, Bone might be better than Ford. He has turned the ball over less and has had about the same amount of assist and points. Mouton and Admiral are both similar in their roles with their team. Again, Admiral is better than Mouton imo. This team went about 7-8 deep.

-Length: This team was short. Starting lineup was 6'0, 6'5, 6'3, 6'8, 6'8. Their best post player was James Thomas who was 6'8 and averaged 11 ppg and 11 rpg. They had no one close to as good as Grant in the post.

Our team is better than his Final Four team imo. The Texas team got hot at the right time in the Tourney and Mouten caught fire. They faced some tough teams too. UConn led by Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, then Michigan State, then eventually ran into Melo and got beat. They had only lost 5 games in the regular season and then lost the very 1st game in the Big 12 tournament to Texas Tech, right before their Final 4 run. They had a very similar record and ranking to us. I feel like either 1 or 2 of Admiral, Bowden, or Turner is going to catch fire like Mouton did and help Grant out with the scoring load. With the help of at least 2 of those 3 guys I think we could make a special run. We need Bone to be our TJ Ford and Alexander to block some shots and get some boards to fill the James Thomas role. I know we have some fans that are down on this team, but this team has the pieces to make a nice run if they truly want it.

Last edited:
TN just needs some good luck for once to go along with their good coaches and players. Anything can happen in single elimination tournaments.
Exactly... every team needs a little luck come tourney time no matter how good they are. TN is overdue for some of that luck imo, doesn’t mean we will get it though.

TN just needs some good luck for once to go along with their good coaches and players. Anything can happen in single elimination tournaments.
Exactly. I think we see the Admiral we saw against Gonzaga, Memphis, LSU, and South Carolina. Best believe he's going to be hungry and ready to play. This will be the stage that he can up his draft stock and make some money!

What is the record of all two seeds historically in the NCAA men's tournament? Seems to me that a very large percentage of 2 seeds would go very deep into the tournament just as a matter of simple statistics. Getting to the Elite 8 at a minimum should be expected from almost any 2 seed.

In the elite 8?

I think I'd take that right now

Really?? No way, not me. Getting bounced at the round of 8 would be a huge letdown in my opinion. You gotta remember, with a 1 or 2, you shouldn't really even play a competitive game until the sweet 16.

3 seed. As a 3 seed Barnes has a 2nd round exit (last year) and a Sweet 16.
Vols missed a real opportunity losing to last year's Cinderella team Loyola who took advantage and go to the Final 4. Hope we don't do that this year.

What is the record of all two seeds historically in the NCAA men's tournament? Seems to me that a very large percentage of 2 seeds would go very deep into the tournament just as a matter of simple statistics. Getting to the Elite 8 at a minimum should be expected from almost any 2 seed.
https://www.boydsbets.com/bracket-tips-by-seed/

According to this site there is a 47.3% chance for 2 seeds to make the Elite 8. It's definitely not a guarantee. They usually have to face the number 3 seed which is usually a top 15 team, plus I feel like there are always those random good 7 seeds that get hot.

There is a 22.2% chance for 2 seed to make it to the Final 4 and just a 4.1% for them to win a title.

1 Seed has a 69.6% chance to make the Elite 8 and a 40.4% chance to make it to the Final 4. The best chance to win the title at 14.8%. Getting the 1 seed would be huge!

Last edited:
Reactions: GlennTenn and Freak
Vols missed a real opportunity losing to last year's Cinderella team Loyola who took advantage and go to the Final 4. Hope we don't do that this year.

Yes. Last year still hurts. Would have made the Final Four if Alexander would have played against Loyola.

When Coach Barnes has a 2 Seed or better he has made it to at least the Elite 8. He only has had the 1 Seed once while at Texas, and that was his Final 4 year. He has had the 2 Seed twice and made it to the Elite 8 both times. Coach Barnes has a bad reputation with early tourney exits, but it's with teams that aren't a 2 Seed or better, which we should be barring a loss to Mississippi State.

Diving deeper into Coach Barnes Final 4 team.

-Short bench: If you thought we had a short bench, his Final 4 team had an even weaker one. They relied heavily on guards TJ Ford and Brandon Mouton, their best two players and leading scorers. As crazy as this sounds, Bone might be better than Ford. He has turned the ball over less and has had about the same amount of assist and points. Mouton and Admiral are both similar in their roles with their team. Again, Admiral is better than Mouton imo. This team went about 7-8 deep.

-Length: This team was short. Starting lineup was 6'0, 6'5, 6'3, 6'8, 6'8. Their best post player was James Thomas who was 6'8 and averaged 11 ppg and 11 rpg. They had no one close to as good as Grant in the post.

Our team is better than his Final Four team imo. The Texas team got hot at the right time in the Tourney and Mouten caught fire. They faced some tough teams too. UConn led by Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, then Michigan State, then eventually ran into Melo and got beat. They had only lost 5 games in the regular season and then lost the very 1st game in the Big 12 tournament to Texas Tech, right before their Final 4 run. They had a very similar record and ranking to us. I feel like either 1 or 2 of Admiral, Bowden, or Turner is going to catch fire like Mouton did and help Grant out with the scoring load. With the help of at least 2 of those 3 guys I think we could make a special run. We need Bone to be our TJ Ford and Alexander to block some shots and get some boards to fill the James Thomas role. I know we have some fans that are down on this team, but this team has the pieces to make a nice run if they truly want it.
Good stuff, Stoked!

Reactions: Stoked

VN Store

Back