Did anyone hear what Holly was yelling at the officials at the end of the game?

Can a coach make you want to lose?
if one isn't true the other can't be
Key word is want

Can a coach make you a winner
if so
they have to be able to make you want to win

How?
How do you put heart in someone?
How do you convince a player to value the ball. 26 Turnovers the announcer put in mathematical prospective when did a what if regarding if the amount of turnovers had been lower and how good the offense was playing.

You may be right about all of it and I just can’t figure out why there not more effort on defense. Can you make All-America not being able to play D?

that you don't do

As Pat Summitt said right in front of me at an SEC womens tourney in 1996..."I will teach you everything but to love my game,,if I have to teach you to love my game,,I don't want you"

"heart" is love
think of how hard you will fight for something you love

I agree but we IMO are lacking in heart.

We are not talking motivation to win here. We are talking about schemes tactics and that sort of thing. How do you put Heart in someone?

You cannot motivate a player that does not want to be motivated. If that is the case you cut bate. However, a good coach is a good motivator, lack of the ability to motivate your players can cause an absent of motivation. Depending upon players to self motivate themselves without leadership seldom works. A coach saying the players lack effort, I don't know how to make them want to win, or using the excuse that players are different than when you first started, does not instill confidence in your coach. That is one reason the game for a coach goes beyond X's and O's, schemes, a good coach understand the mind side of the game. As a coach you can't necessarily put heart in a player but you can affect the amount of effort on the floor. Holly has had too many 5 stars at her disposal to be be producing the product she is placing on the floor. Look at Missouri and Arkansas, they do a lot with players less talented than what Holly has had. Many times we are looking at too many ways to blame the players, and I am not saying you are, however, Holly is the captain of the ship if she can't find a way to win with the people she is recruiting, it is time for her to step aside and allow someone to steer the ship.

How?
How do you put heart in someone?
How do you convince a player to value the ball. 26 Turnovers the announcer put in mathematical prospective when did a what if regarding if the amount of turnovers had been lower and how good the offense was playing.

You may be right about all of it and I just can’t figure out why there not more effort on defense. Can you make All-America not being able to play D?
It's not like you let a player loose on the court and say "go defend that person". Isn't it the coach's responsibility to scout an opponent, draw up a defensive plans based on your opponent's strengths and weaknesses, and practice it until it becomes second nature? If not, what is the coach being paid to do? Same thing with the turnovers. If you practice your offensive sets, then you're less likely to panic and make an ill advised play.

I'd be lacking heart too if I was so frustrated by the lack of coaching I was receiving, and the realization that I threw away my chance to be a great college player so that my "coach" could cash her check.

I don’t believe a coach can make you want to win. If you don’t box out and play defense, They shot 50% and score 40 in the paint. I know you all want to dash Holly but I don’t see effort on the part of some of our players and the bench save Mimi doesn’t continue the effort. I see that Holly has been trying to give playing time to her freshmen to develope them but desire cannot be coached. You have to have pride to make you layups and don’t allow your man to roam thru the lane at will. It takes heart to get in the face of a superior athlete and give it your all defensively. If these traits could be coached every team would have it Players with a nonchalant attitude will not get it done. Attitude is mental prospective and without intensity and pride the attitude is that of a defeatist.
This all goes back to practice, run their butts until they can barely walk on the count after practice. I've never seen any of their practices, but I'm willing to bet you it mirrors the previous football coach that now at alabama, no development

This all goes back to practice, run their butts until they can barely walk on the count after practice. I've never seen any of their practices, but I'm willing to bet you it mirrors the previous football coach that now at alabama, no development
Cool! You want a team that breaks down with injuries by mid-season and too much running also reduces quickness and jumping ability. Let's make you coach; your team will lose but bygawd you will have shown em!
Good coaches balance fitness, skill training, and tactics. In season is not the time to hammer on the fitness component. And I don't think fitness is an issue for this team with lone of KK (Not sure what is going on with her).

The problem this team faces is not heart; they were on the floor, diving, fighting like made against MissST. The problem is that they are in a system that does not put them in positions to win.
The buck stops with the coach.

Reactions: Sportslady
Cool! You want a team that breaks down with injuries by mid-season and too much running also reduces quickness and jumping ability. Let's make you coach; your team will lose but bygawd you will have shown em!
Good coaches balance fitness, skill training, and tactics. In season is not the time to hammer on the fitness component. And I don't think fitness is an issue for this team with lone of KK (Not sure what is going on with her).

The problem this team faces is not heart; they were on the floor, diving, fighting like made against MissST. The problem is that they are in a system that does not put them in positions to win.
Damn, thats basically what I just said. Led, follow or step aside.

It's not like you let a player loose on the court and say "go defend that person". Isn't it the coach's responsibility to scout an opponent, draw up a defensive plans based on your opponent's strengths and weaknesses, and practice it until it becomes second nature? If not, what is the coach being paid to do? Same thing with the turnovers. If you practice your offensive sets, then you're less likely to panic and make an ill advised play.

I'd be lacking heart too if I was so frustrated by the lack of coaching I was receiving, and the realization that I threw away my chance to be a great college player so that my "coach" could cash her check.
They knew who their Coach was when they signed the dotted line! These kids over years of recruiting saw her Coach and her teams play several times and yet they still chose a Coach that does not expect or demand the best out of her players! They chose the easy path!

PG. Wrong!
If you disagree then you are saying that these players agreed to play for HW for 4 years of their lives and knew absolutely nothing about her! The Coach/Recruit relationship probably started when these kids were 9th graders! They all had several visits and attended many games! Probably even attended practices! Probably all came to her summer camps! They saw that she did not run tough practices and did not demand perfection! They saw everyone plays even if you screw up continuously! They signed knowing how inept she was and knowing she would be their coach thru their college careers! They saw that she had not developed players and still chose her! She does not discipline and pretty much runs a loose ship! Please explain how I am wrong please! I will admit i am wrong if you convince me otherwise!

These are kids and they do not have the Maturity of you and I. Bulletproof is an expression I used when I was teaching. Most if not all came to Tennessee to try and continue the program in the path that Pat sent this program. Sure, they were/are too optimistic with the coaching staff in place. Still, they feel they can play and contribute. As far as knowing Holly, what they saw was mostly Window Dressing, not until they are entrenched in the program as they are now, do they really realize how bad this program is...JMO.

Reactions: Amb3096
Damn, thats basically what I just said. Led, follow or step aside.

"This all goes back to practice, run their butts until they can barely walk on the count after practice. I've never seen any of their practices, but I'm willing to bet you it mirrors the previous football coach that now at alabama, no development"

Sorry, this sentence made it seem like you wanted the team "to run their butts until....."

These are kids and they do not have the Maturity of you and I. Bulletproof is an expression I used when I was teaching. Most if not all came to Tennessee to try and continue the program in the path that Pat sent this program. Sure, they were/are too optimistic with the coaching staff in place. Still, they feel they can play and contribute. As far as knowing Holly, what they saw was mostly Window Dressing, not until they are entrenched in the program as they are now, do they really realize how bad this program is...JMO.
Lots of great points! Bottom line is these kids really like Holly! And they want her to be their Coach! Sad to say she is staying for quite awhile!

Reactions: OrangenSC
Lots of great points! Bottom line is these kids really like Holly! And they want her to be their Coach! Sad to say she is staying for quite awhile!

Assuming they get an at-large bid, I do wonder if any players would transfer when they get routed in the first or second round of the NCAAT, or if their loyalty to Holly is so great that they would continue to throw their careers away playing for her. It must sadden them to know that none of them are on the short list of SEC players talked about, let alone nationally.

It’s second hand information, but I am hearing exactly the opposite...

Well how many times in how many ways can we chew over the effort and heart question? Once again, I refuse to believe these kids intentionally play poorly and therefore should be "punished" with extra running, etc. Which, as madtown points out, is counterproductive to keeping fresh legs late in the season.

For the love of God, they are not naughty and impudent. They're underprepared and undercoached therefore underconfident and unbelievably mentally fragile.

The other oft-debated question is why on earth elite potential players continue to sign with Underdevelopment U. I have previously dismissed the notion that they, their parents and advisors just want the easiest possible coach, results be damned. For ego-filled kids who love to be looked at on 40 social media levels, I can't imagine they'd choose to suck on TV repeatedly and never get better just so they never have a hard practice. That's stupid.

However, after this year, I'm changing my stance. No one with a functioning IQ and passing knowledge of sports could see anything but pulsing, flashing danger signs all over this coaching staff. Anyone who chooses this right now definitely has some agenda that does not include hard, effective work, improvement, and ultimate success.

Last edited:
Not sure where Tennessee is such a young team.
Meme Jackson, and Cheridene Green are seniors
Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis and Kasiyahna Kushkituah are sophomores.
Zaay Green is the only freshman that starts.
4+4+2+2+1= 13 points
Next year.
Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis and Kasiyahna Kushkituah are juniors.
Zaay Green is the only sophomore that starts.
Jordan Horston probably the only freshman that starts.
Seniors =4 points
Junior = 3 points
sophomore = 2 points
freshman = 1 point
3+3+3+2+1 = 12 points
we will be 1 point younger next year.
Uh, shouldn't this year be 15? So we will be 3 points younger next year by your scale?

Not sure where Tennessee is such a young team.
Meme Jackson, and Cheridene Green are seniors
Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis and Kasiyahna Kushkituah are sophomores.
Zaay Green is the only freshman that starts.
4+4+2+2+1= 13 points
Next year.
Evina Westbrook, Rennia Davis and Kasiyahna Kushkituah are juniors.
Zaay Green is the only sophomore that starts.
Jordan Horston probably the only freshman that starts.
Seniors =4 points
Junior = 3 points
sophomore = 2 points
freshman = 1 point
3+3+3+2+1 = 12 points
we will be 1 point younger next year.

They are a young team because they have only 1 player that has been with the program more than two years. Has nothing to do with what class they're in. C. Green was a JUCO transfer meaning she's only been with the program a little over a year. There is A LOT to learn when you join a new team and usually takes two seasons to get a full handle on everything. Jackson is the only player we have that has been in the UT system for more than 2 seasons and unfortunately she isn't a game changing player.

Next season, barring any transfers, we will have two major players that have been in the same system for 3 years. I don't know that it will make much difference with Holly still at the helm, but players tend to settle down a lot their junior year and better understand how to control the pace of the game without making silly mistakes.

I promise you from personally experience that they can. Likewise a poor coach can demoralize a group of high quality players. A team tends to take on the personality of their coach.

What is this person smoking?? Ofcourse yes, a makes u win..

VN Store

Back