Poll: Barnes or Pearl and why?

Who's better coach?

• Total voters
Anyone who thinks Pearl is a better coach at any point of a season or game is smoking meth. Not even close.

They also probably buy front row tickets when the monster trucks come to TBA because they like the noise and excitement.[/QUOTE]
😂

10000% disagree with that assessment. Pearl’s teams always play a run and gun style full court press that wears them down over the duration of a season. He usually has a couple of important players out by tournament time. Also, pearls teams always rely on the 3 point shot. And it’s difficult to rely on that to win day in and day out. Having a solid inside/mid range along with playing good defense is the key to being a consistent team. You live by the 3...you’ll die by the 3.
And proof is in the pudding. Pearl has had some really good regular season teams but he never makes deep tournament runs. Barnes meanwhile has made it deep in the tourney.

Absolutely wrong, Bruce is not a great post season performer, look at his record. My money is on Barnes...plus he’s my coach, not Bruce!

I have to mention that even though I can't forgive Pearl for what he did to our chance to become a top BB program back then.I will also never forget the things he did to stir up the fans,and the one that comes to mind is when he shows up at a Lady Vols game and is shirtless in the stands with the students.He was a character.

Pearls teams play chaotic by design. Lots of 3’s, and very streaky. Barnes teams are more disciplined which I prefer and play more inside out. If Pearl’s team gets hot from 3 watch out, but if they have an off night, they are going home.

Barnes and it's not even close. The closes Pearl will get to a title IMO is when Izzo and Draymond Green beat him at UT. Barnes might be old school but it works. And even if he has historically sucked in March, the man can coach. Pearl's style is not desirable in March imo. Length on the outside and good guard play beats him 9/10 times.

Well...
Pearl has 11 NCAAT wins, 3 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8, 0 Final 4s.
Barnes has 22 NCAAT wins, 6 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s, 1 Final 4.

The numbers suggest otherwise, though I'm not sure anyone would argue that either is a great postseason coach.

Thank you for posting this. I suspected the numbers clearly leaned toward Barnes, but you clarified it.

The numbers actually show that Barnes is twice the coach.

Thank you for posting this. I suspected the numbers clearly leaned toward Barnes, but you clarified it.

The numbers actually show that Barnes is twice the coach.
Well, to be fair, Barnes has done it in twice the time as a D1 head coach. However, it does indicate that any belief that Pearl is a clearly superior postseason coach is unfounded. At best, they are near equals in that regard.

Absolutely wrong, Bruce is not a great post season performer, look at his record. My money is on Barnes...plus he’s my coach, not Bruce!

Uh. Not sure if you’re joking. I said without a doubt I’d take Barnes over pearl.

Well, to be fair, Barnes has done it in twice the time as a D1 head coach. However, it does indicate that any belief that Pearl is a clearly superior postseason coach is unfounded. At best, they are near equals in that regard.

This actually raises some interesting questions. Barnes has been a HC for only around 5 years longer than Pearl. The difference is that Pearl was forced to toil away in D2 for nine seasons (even after winning a title in his 3rd season). And, even then he went to Milwaukee, and not a P5 school.

Why so long in D2?
Why Milwaukee and not a higher profile opportunity?

I’m wondering if he has some unsavory things in his background even then, but who knows.

On the other hand, Barnes went straight from assistant to HC at George Mason in 1987...and has been at recognizable programs from the start.

This actually raises some interesting questions. Barnes has been a HC for only around 5 years longer than Pearl. The difference is that Pearl was forced to toil away in D2 for nine seasons (even after winning a title in his 3rd season). And, even then he went to Milwaukee, and not a P5 school.

Why so long in D2?
Why Milwaukee and not a higher profile opportunity?

I’m wondering if he has some unsavory things in his background even then, but who knows.

On the other hand, Barnes went straight from assistant to HC at George Mason in 1987...and has been at recognizable programs from the start.
Pearl was basically blackballed from D1 coaching when he taped Deon Thomas talking about receiving impermissible benefits. He got a chance with Milwaukee and then a chance at the big time with Tennessee and pissed it away.

Pearl was basically blackballed from D1 coaching when he taped Deon Thomas talking about receiving impermissible benefits. He got a chance with Milwaukee and then a chance at the big time with Tennessee and pissed it away.

I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Sure...

Barnes has made the NCAAT 69% of his years as a head coach, Pearl 46%.

Barnes has made the Sweet 16 19% of his years as a head coach, Pearl 13%.

Barnes has made the Elite 8 6% of his years as a head coach, Pearl 4%.

Barnes has made the Final Four 3% of his years as a head coach, Pearl 0%.

Amount of context you brought into your comment 00.00%.

Now do Pearl vs Barnes during same number of appearances.... Barnes should be beating Pearl in a landslide in those Tourneys statistics as Barnes has been 23 NCAA Tourneys and Bruce has been to 9.

Pearl has coached in "Division 1" basketball for 17 years. Barnes has been a head coach in Division 1 for 32 years. So yes, Barnes' percentages are going to be higher.

My goodness it is amazing. Its almost like you're surprised to know to Barnes' numbers a greater even though he has a 15 year jump on Pearl.... Yikes!

Now do Pearl vs Barnes during same number of appearances.... Barnes should be beating Pearl in a landslide in those Tourneys statistics as Barnes has been 23 NCAA Tourneys and Bruce has been to 9.

Pearl has coached in "Division 1" basketball for 17 years. Barnes has been a head coach in Division 1 for 32 years. So yes, Barnes' percentages are going to be higher.

My goodness it is amazing. Its almost like you're surprised to know to Barnes' numbers a greater even though he has a 15 year jump on Pearl.... Yikes!

Ok, Barnes made his Final Four his 15th year; Pearl is at 17 and hasn't made one yet.

You clearly don’t understand how percentages work...there could be a 5th year coach with better percentages than Barnes, has nothing to do with longevity.

I say it is difficult to compare the 2.They have mostly different coaching styles.That said,the only thing we have to go on is head to head.As far as I know Pearl is 3-0 against Barnes.UT-Coach Pearl.jpg

8bfuh.gif

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back