The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

First e-form completed and submitted. Form 1 fingerprint cards are being sent tomorrow, then I play the waiting game.

I've heard wait times for approval have been as short as 10 days and some still within 3 to 6 month range.

Yep. E Form 1 is moving fast.

I did the same with a 15. You know you can change uppers into different sbr configurations without a new stamp?

I was under the impression that you can't do that. Since the initial request was made for that lower and barrel length was included on the form, a change to the rifle placed it in non-compliance.

I was under the impression that you can't do that. Since the initial request was made for that lower and barrel length was included on the form, a change to the rifle placed it in non-compliance.
Nope. I checked and spoke directly with the atf. You absolutely can put any upper you want sbr or otherwise. It's a "recommendation" that you inform them of the other uppers. I have 2-3 different uppers for mine.

Hey GW how would you describe that Pyramid trigger? I have a SFA TRP 1911, a P238 380 and a Glock 26 9mm. The more I shoot them i have found that I like the 1911 trigger the best, then the sig, and the Glock trigger pull has become almost too long for me. Does the Pyramid shorten the stroke any? I love everything else about the Glock and was wondering if adding a Pyramid trigger would make it more like my 1911.

Hey GW how would you describe that Pyramid trigger? I have a SFA TRP 1911, a P238 380 and a Glock 26 9mm. The more I shoot them i have found that I like the 1911 trigger the best, then the sig, and the Glock trigger pull has become almost too long for me. Does the Pyramid shorten the stroke any? I love everything else about the Glock and was wondering if adding a Pyramid trigger would make it more like my 1911.

Non-scientific opinion here. I like the Pyramid. FYI, duty weapon is a Glock 22, and I bought the G30S for IWB off-duty carry. For some reason, the trigger on the 22 (which I cannot change) seemed lighter than the one on the 30S, so I looked into a lighter trigger. Came down to the Apex or the Pyramid. After talking to friends who have both, I went with the Pyramid. Price about the same, if I remember correctly.

Trigger pull is about the same as far as I can tell; maybe just a hair shorter. Very smooth, though. Break is cleaner, as the trigger does not "stack up" so much before it breaks. Reset is short and crisp. It was easy to learn to feel the point where the next movement would release the striker, so my accuracy with it has improved.

Money well spent, but my guess is that you'd be happy with either one. Hope that helps.

And I'm with you on the SA's. I have a 1911 R/O .45, and I absolutely love that trigger. The TRP is probably even better.

Reactions: 81Bubbavol
On another front, I'm making the move to Federal 62 JSP / Hornady 62 TAP and 69 SMK on my ammo inventory. Nothing against the 55 FMJ for SHTF, but I'd prefer a consistent POI out to 100 yards for my HD AR, and 200+ for my long range AR.

My experience with a variety of loads over the past couple of years has led me here. There's no debating the barrier-blind capability of the Federal XM556SBCT load, and the Hornady 62 TAP (although not a bonded round) is pretty good. The Federal round is 1 to 2 MOA in my rifles (1/9), and the Hornady is right at 1 MOA. The IMI 69 SMK is probably the most accurate round I have seen. Tack driver at 100 yards. IMI makes good ammo.

For me, having one or two "good at most anything" rounds is better than having a closet full of 5 different loads for 5 different tasks. The Federal 62 JSP is and will be my duty round. It's one of Doc GKR's top-rated barrier blind rounds, which is important to me in that role. The Hornady 62 TAP, being a non-bonded round, comes up short of the Federal round, but POI is about the same, accuracy is a tad better, and it's Hornady. The IMI 69 SMK is a good all-around load, and very accurate in my guns.

One of the main reasons I'm a ".45 Dinosaur" is the old adage that "heavier hits better". Chris Kyle (RIP) made the same point when arguing with a comrade about the 5.56 years ago in a land far, far away. 64 grains or better, as fast as you can push it.

Oh...on that note...Federal 230 HST is my default load. If you're a "45'er", look at the ballistic tests. This is a devastating round.

Now...all I have to do is shoot my way through about 3k of 55 FMJ I've got stashed around the house. And then spend some money at SGAmmo.

Looking for a 40 cal compact (not necessarily a conceal weapon, but not opposed to it) with an LEO mod (no safety). Anybody have any suggestions?

Looking for a 40 cal compact (not necessarily a conceal weapon, but not opposed to it) with an LEO mod (no safety). Anybody have any suggestions?
I have a tiny Keltec 40. It's a handful to shoot. It has proven to be reliable, trigger is atrocious, extremely long and stiff, somethjjng you might expect from a double action. It has been very reliable and rugged little gun. It's low cost makes it great to have to not worry about a scratch here or there.

Disclaimer not a LEO but family and friends so have a lot of trade in deals and chances to shoot their Carry guns. I have and carried glock 22 (full) and 23 compact for years in .40. Some minor trigger work, feed ramp, and sights guide rods, return spring etc... and was happy with accuracy and carry feel vs heavier 1911 platforms. went with mrs bag to the toy store for a new to her 9mm and left with a used very little smith m&p compact because she had shot a Leo's ( a small handed female )and liked it. I ordered some trigger goodies from apex tact in ca and make that gun awesomely sweet. So much so I started looking for a Leo trade in and got an m&p compact in 40. Same apex trigger package and it is one of the best shooting .40s I have . I have picked up an additional 2 and a full size . Glocks are in the safe now. What I did realize some time later is buying 500$ gun and doing $200 worth of mods puts it in the same ballpark as my sig p226 or p229 money wise but in a smaller lighter package that shoots as good or better.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Finally off this weekend and had some range time available. Anyone else at the range today?

Attachments

• 20190309_115530.jpg
    20190309_115530.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: txbo
Finally off this weekend and had some range time available. Anyone else at the range today?

Good for you. My daughter is home for spring break. She'll pick me up after work and we'll go bang some steel. Enjoy the day.

Good for you. My daughter is home for spring break. She'll pick me up after work and we'll go bang some steel. Enjoy the day.

Enjoy your day as well. Have some fun plinking steel with the kiddo.

Tomorrow afternoon. I moved both my Aimpoint and my BUS one notch forward to give me more clearance on my charging handle (lesson learned after a pursuit / PIT / wreck back in January), so...gotta go confirm my zero again. Probably run a few rounds of .45 down range while I'm there.

Following up on my post about the shift to 62 and 69 grain 5.56, I sold my stash of 55 FMJ to friends and co-workers. It went fast, since I offered it at a deep discount. This morning, I ordered the Federal 62 JSP (XM556SBCT); Hornady 62 TAP; and IMI 69 SMK to top off my "reserve ammo" numbers. That hurt. But now I'm where I want to be with both load selection and ammo on-hand, so I can put a checkmark in that box and move forward.

I review my "Household Defense Plan" monthly. I keep all three .45's loaded and ready; my HD AR sits just inside the closet door with a 20-rd mag of Hornady TAP 55 in the well, and (6) 30-rd mags of Federal 62 SBCT's at hand. I keep 10 mags worth of both .45 ACP (all three) and 5.56 at the "ready; and a minimum of 100 mags of .45 and 5.56 in reserve. Those are my minimums. I have two cases (1200 rounds) of the Federal XM855 in the "Fresh Fire 30" cans, which I can't even remember when I bought. But it's in nitrogen sealed cans, so I just leave it where it is. Just in case.

Next big move is a Colt 6933, but that's a ways off, unless Congress goes further left, in which case it'll be next month. Big hit for the gun, the ATF stamp, the Aimpoint, the light, the trigger, the grip, etc. I'd prefer to be able to pay for all of it cash in hand.

Glad you had fun.

I review my "Household Defense Plan" monthly. I keep all three .45's loaded and ready; my HD AR sits just inside the closet door with a 20-rd mag of Hornady TAP 55 in the well, and (6) 30-rd mags of Federal 62 SBCT's at hand. I keep 10 mags worth of both .45 ACP (all three) and 5.56 at the "ready; and a minimum of 100 mags of .45 and 5.56 in reserve. Those are my minimums. I have two cases (1200 rounds) of the Federal XM855 in the "Fresh Fire 30" cans, which I can't even remember when I bought. But it's in nitrogen sealed cans, so I just leave it where it is. Just in case.

Next big move is a Colt 6933, but that's a ways off, unless Congress goes further left, in which case it'll be next month. Big hit for the gun, the ATF stamp, the Aimpoint, the light, the trigger, the grip, etc. I'd prefer to be able to pay for all of it cash in hand.

Glad you had fun.

That's a solid defense plan GW. Very solid. Well prepared for SHTF scenario.

Serious question. How's your med kit supplies and food reserves?

Enjoy your day at the range tomorrow.

Last edited:

I'm not a "prepper", but between Grand Vol and a couple of hurricanes, I'm as ready as I can reasonably be.

Reactions: ETV
Received can of .308 from SGA. 480 rounds, surplus Korean from the '70s. Something cool about opening an ammo can from over 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: ETV and txbo

VN Store

Back