Poll: Barnes or Pearl and why?

Who's better coach?

• Total voters
Pearl is good getting a bad team to good. Struggles with expectations.

He has consistently finished the season lower than preseason ranking. He has several top ten preseason teams make Sweet Sixteen or earlier exits.

Anyone who thinks Pearl is a better coach at any point of a season or game is smoking meth. Not even close.

Reactions: kxtop
Anyone who thinks Pearl is a better coach at any point of a season or game is smoking meth. Not even close.[/QUOTE]

They also probably buy front row tickets when the monster trucks come to TBA because they like the noise and excitement.

Pearl is better post season

Barnes is better regular season (except for when he had Durant)
Well...
Pearl has 11 NCAAT wins, 3 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8, 0 Final 4s.
Barnes has 22 NCAAT wins, 6 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s, 1 Final 4.

The numbers suggest otherwise, though I'm not sure anyone would argue that either is a great postseason coach.

There is no wrong answer here as both men have been great in their own eras for UT hoops. Pearl took his first big job and made huge strides by building the culture and environment. Barnes was forced out of his old job because he was over the hill and near retirement. He’s used this job to relaunch his career. His development was never a question.

Pearl did more with less but that’s not saying Barnes hasn’t either. Both are their own kickass coaches for UT. Is Pearl gonna coach longer than Barnes? Yes, Barnes is older. However, Barnes is prolly in his best position from a roster and team standpoint to competing for a title.

Today made me miss Pearl’s offense’s but at same time, this roster and style of play we have is something we haven’t had in years.

I wish we could have both but I don’t see a wrong answer here. Who knows, maybe when Barnes decides to retire (i hope that isn’t in the near future), Pearl gets a call since Phil is the AD.

It is funny knowing Pearl will never love Auburn as much as he loves Tennessee. It’s even funnier seeing Auburn fans say that is not true and that he is building something there for long term.

Well...

The numbers suggest otherwise, though I'm not sure anyone would argue that either is a great postseason coach.

Now compare how many tourney appearances each has to get those numbers? Not like it’s even. I’m no Barnes basher but your argument lacks major context.

I loved Bruce when he was here but his messing the bed is attached to his resume. Barnes is squeeky clean. Basketball wise id say its a wash. I do think Pearls style is more wreckless but more entertaining. Barnes always seems to develop players. Kevin Punter had a broken shot and Barnes worked with him and he changed shot and led league in scoring. Now im not saying Pearl didnt have success stories. What he did with playing Bradshaw at point forward was brilliant for that teams chemistry. Watching Buzz Peterson with Dane Bradshaw i was convinced that was a wasted scholarship. Pearl found the niche for Bradshaw. But results were mixed. Pearl inherited a much better situation to build off of being handed CJ Watson and Chris Lofton. Barnes had to build from a terrible situation. Literally his predecessor Tyndall was a scumbag and we are lucky he got busted by NCAA nad not wire taps. Lol Had Pearl not done the sins that cant be unseen I would have taken him based off age as I truly believe he would have retired here with a crazy long tenure. Barnes is older so we wont have as long so Id take him since we know what we know with Pearl.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I'm posting without even reading any posts before mine. I cast my vote, as well. When Pearl was here, I loved him. When his show cause was over, I wanted him back--bad. Once CRB got here and got established and I saw what he was really about, I wouldn't give CRB for ten Pearls.

We have the best and classiest---and most moral coach in all of college BB. God bless him.

Now compare how many tourney appearances each has to get those numbers? Not like it’s even. I’m no Barnes basher but your argument lacks major context.
Certainly, Barnes has twice the accomplishments, and he's done it in twice the appearances. But, my argument wasn't that Barnes was supremely more accomplished. It was that Pearl isn't clearly the better postseason coach as the OP suggested. Context be damned. It doesn't change the premise.

When Barnes decides to leave Tennessee we should try to get Pearl back.

I loved Bruce when he was here but his messing the bed is attached to his resume. Barnes is squeeky clean. Basketball wise id say its a wash. I do think Pearls style is more wreckless but more entertaining. Barnes always seems to develop players. Kevin Punter had a broken shot and Barnes worked with him and he changed shot and led league in scoring. Now im not saying Pearl didnt have success stories. What he did with playing Bradshaw at point forward was brilliant for that teams chemistry. Watching Buzz Peterson with Dane Bradshaw i was convinced that was a wasted scholarship. Pearl found the niche for Bradshaw. But results were mixed. Pearl inherited a much better situation to build off of being handed CJ Watson and Chris Lofton. Barnes had to build from a terrible situation. Literally his predecessor Tyndall was a scumbag and we are lucky he got busted by NCAA nad not wire taps. Lol Had Pearl not done the sins that cant be unseen I would have taken him based off age as I truly believe he would have retired here with a crazy long tenure. Barnes is older so we wont have as long so Id take him since we know what we know with Pearl.

One of the knocks on Pearl was his inability to develop players. Consider this Auburn team that had Harper and Brown in consideration for conference awards last year. Neither will sniff an award this year because they are just not smart basketball players. Do they have talent, sure but their understanding of the game is remedial based on the way they jack up shots. If there wasn't for some bonehead breakdowns and a few favorable whistles then Auburn doesn't win this game.

Who is the better coach and why? Hypothetically, if Pearl didn't get fired and show-caused, who would you (as a fan) rather have coaching the Vols?

This is obviously a hypothetical scenario since Barnes is our guy and Pearl isn't....so please keep smarty pants comments to your self.

Who's style of coaching do you enjoy more?

I loved BP and wish what happened didn't happen, because Pearl would've had a title at UT by now (or more than 1).

But hindsight is 20/20 and we now have Barnes. I think Barnes is the overall better coach based soley on body of work. Barnes has many more tourney appearances. Pearl has never been to a final 4.

Barnes has won a ton of games, but so has Pearl. Barnes has been coaching longer though, so that's not really a valid point.

I have got dogged many times as an OP with much better posts. This is absurd. So, UT plays terrible D on the perimeter. UT let's AU drive to the hole easily too many times. UT doesn't run their offense effectively. Primarily, due to Sir turnover a lot, shoot dumb shots a lot, get out of control a lot, and go 1 for 9 a lot Lamonte Turner!!!! I can't believe someone would post this thread due to several factors that weren't
Barnes fault! I said one thing during the game. Maybe UT could have mixed in a little zone D to keep AU from getting so many good looks at the 3 ball!! Still, Barnes is 10 times better as a X and O coach and developer than Pearl. In my opinion, that makes Barnes a much better coach, hands down!!! Did you see the SUNSHINE PUMPER PEARL ignite the crowd? Yes, he is good at it. Yes, he is good at making fans love him. I did too. Yes, he has proven to be a better recruiter at UT than Barnes so far. But, Barnes can outcoach Pearl in his sleep!!! Give me a break. If Barnes had the talent Pearl had on the floor, UT wipes the floor with AU and it isn't even close. Yes, Grant and Schofield have BECOME GREAT. Yes, Bone has become GREAT. Yes, I love those three players and wouldn't trade them for anyone. But, AU is stacked with talent and athleticism way beyond UT from top to bottom. What has AU's recruiting classes been the last 4 years compared to UT? Also, LSU and UK has killed it on the recruiting trail in comparison to UT. According to 247Sports, UT had the 11th, 7th, 11th, and 12th best recruiting class in the SEC from 2015 to 2018. BARNES NEEDS TO HIRE SOME STUD RECRUITERS DUE TO HIM NOT BEING ONE OR HAVING ANY ON STAFF!!! Or, UT has the wrong bag man!!!!!

Last edited:
I do not have a MAN CRUSH for Bruce Almighty, he is dirty belongs @ Aubarn U…………………………..GO VOLS

Rick Barnes can develop three star players into champions. How many in the league can say that?

When Barnes decides to leave Tennessee we should try to get Pearl back.

Nope.

That ship has sailed.

He’s the reason why our program went through shambles resulting in two different coaches.

They had every right to fire Pearl.

Well...

I was thinking this too. But not diligent enough to do your work. Thx

Reactions: cncchris33
One of the knocks on Pearl was his inability to develop players. Consider this Auburn team that had Harper and Brown in consideration for conference awards last year. Neither will sniff an award this year because they are just not smart basketball players. Do they have talent, sure but their understanding of the game is remedial based on the way they jack up shots. If there wasn't for some bonehead breakdowns and a few favorable whistles then Auburn doesn't win this game.

I've watched them a few times in wins and losses this season. That team is in a crazed 3pt attack or slash to the rack & dump to another 3. It's not solid offense. By design this team can win most any game and will drop quickly out of the ncaat as well.

Edit:. CBP knows thier is not solid paint play, so they are going this gunslinger route bc he has the athletes to do it

Last edited:
I was thinking this too. But not diligent enough to do your work. Thx
This needs to be broke down per season to carry any weight. Pearl has only been a D1 coach for about 12 or 13 years. Barnes has at least twice that maybe more.

VN Store

Back